Looking for advice on first set of electronics (battery and radio included)

Red Raven

I'm getting into this hobby for the first time and it's come time to pick my first set of parts. I have built a Bloody Baron and I have plans for the Flier and a few others like the versa wing and trainer. In my last thread a lot of members said that the Baron would be too difficult for a beginner plane, so I've decided to build some of those easier ones as well. I'm looking for a set of electronics that will work well for a lot of the beginner designs and the Baron. I have to save money at the moment so I only want to get one set. The B power pack seems like a good middle ground, but I can't tell if it will be overpowered for the smaller ones. If it is, can I simply use less throttle to make the little planes manageable?

I'm also looking for a radio. These are almost prohibitively expensive for me. I'm not looking for a high end on at all. 6 channels is plenty (I plan on doing some mods and adding an Arduino to my power pack for all kinds of cool things), 4 is my minimum. The only contender I've found is the Hobby King 6 channel TX/RX combo for $25. I haven't seen anything close to that. The reviews seem good, and it appears that it can be programmed with mixing, servo reversing, and the other critical functions. I don't mind having to reprogram it (it has no model storage) and for that price I don't mind clunky programming software. At some point I plan on connecting all of the RX's outputs to an Arduino and having that Arduino run everything. That will allow me to program in any complex mixing, expos, dual rates, etc that I want, all for $20. The only downside is that I'll have to land to change settings and I'll have to program it myself, but that's fine.

I'm also having trouble picking a battery. I'm guessing that I won't be able to get away with the same battery in a Baron and a Flier, so I'm looking for a small, cheap "beater battery" and a longer term one. I want the Baron to work with both, and preferably the Trainer too, but I expect the little planes to only work with the beater. I plan to use the beater to learn how to care for a battery while treating the larger one more gently. Obviously I'll try not to destroy it, but if the smaller battery dies early it won't be a big deal. The Flight Test store has some good looking options, but I'd like to get some first hand advice.

Should I buy a power pack electronics kit, or would it be cheaper to pick and choose the parts on HK, maybe buying equivalent parts instead of the same parts where possible to save money? I don't have any of the parts yet except the screw drivers and a single 9g servo.

Quick questions:
Do laser cutter files for the control horns, firewalls, glider tow release, engine gimbals, stand alone firewall, etc exist?
I have a 7.2v brushed DC 480 size motor on hand that weighs 120g. Would it work with these planes at all?
How do I keep readiboard from warping in Floridian humidity? If I can't fix it, I'll have to use heavy Elmers board (stronger and doesn't take moisture, but about twice as heavy).

P.S, thanks for previewing the twin motor Baron in the last episode FT! I've been searching for a way to make the wing removable and I thought the rubber bands would be too weak for such a large wing, but you showed it was doable. That eliminates a lot of sketchy modifications and time for me. Now to figure out the tail parts. Also, whenever I can afford it I'm totally adding the twin engine pods to my Baron and keeping the center engine. Becuase why not? Commercial planes do it. That's a good enough reason for me. Are there any where the third engine is in the nose though?

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
If you get one of these..HK-T6Av2
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._4Ghz_6Ch_Tx_Rx_V2_Mode_2_USA_Warehouse_.html

don't forget to order one of these or you won't be able to program it
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...g_2_4Ghz_6Ch_Tx_USB_Cable_USA_warehouse_.html

Also there is some better software available...
http://www.sgr.info/usbradio/default.htm

However I would suggest looking at the FlySky i6 with iA6B rx instead.
http://www.banggood.com/FlySky-FS-i...ansmitter-With-FS-iA6B-Receiver-p-983537.html

It had a 20 model memory, all the feature you need to get started and a few to keep you going.

Red Raven

Thank you so much for that software. That other radio looks nice but I'm on a tight budget. As long as the HK radio actually performs (doesn't cut out randomly, has good range, features work) then I don't mind. I'll make up for it with my electronics knowledge. Do you know if the cable is just serial to USB? I'll get it anyways, but it would be helpful to know if it's serial, i2c, SPI, or something else.

moebeast

It is a usb to serial with an s-vidio connector. I made my own after not knowing I needed one, and not wanting to wait for China Post (pre-US warehouse). I also made a Bluetooth to serial adapter for $10 so I can store models on my phone and reprogram in the field without a computer. If you like tinkering with electronics for cheap, it may be a fun radio for you. I've had no range issues with the two we have. Search rcgroups for tons of info on the radio.
A wide range of Flite Test planes will fly on a 1300 mAh 3s battery. The Prop Drive 28-26 1200 kV motor and Plush 25 amp ESC is a cheap decent power system. I use it in the Mustang, Old Fogey, Flyer, Bloody Wonder, Bloody Baron, and a couple more.

Fuzzy Whumpkin

I'm also looking for a radio. These are almost prohibitively expensive for me. ... The only contender I've found is the Hobby King 6 channel TX/RX combo for $25. I haven't seen anything close to that.

I just got my first transmitter today, so i know EXACTLY where you're coming from! here's what i found after lots and lots of searching:

- Hobbyking $25 radio sounds great until you add almost $20 for shipping
- It's REALLY easy to get into the "but for just $10 more" trap
- i have been looking for a couple months and haven't found any legitimate options for under $40

- for me, it pretty much came down to three options:

1) $45 for a hobbyking basic 4 channel radio (after shipping)
2) $52 for a flysky fs-i6 (often rebranded as a turnigy tgy-i6) from amazon (with prime, so no shipping)
3) about $40 for a used fs-i6 from ebay (including shipping)

i settled on the fs-i6 b/c it seemed to be the best radio in that price range - it's easy to find reviews by guys using 300 or 400 or 800 dollar radios that say it feels cheap and crappy, but like i said, i just got mine today, and i think it feels great! also, the more i watched and read, the more people who really seemed to know what they were talking about praised its capabilities and value.

disclaimer - we don't have any AA's in the house right now, so i haven't even powered mine on yet, this is all based solely on the research i've done over about 3 months.

hope this helps!!

Keep us posted what you get. I don't know about a 6 channel for under 50 bucks. Personally I have gravitated towards the Spektrum/DSMX stuff. I have a DX4E that I like and it works really well, and also a DX6i that is good. Here's a DX4E on Ebay for 22 bucks/6 shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DX4e-DSMX-4...124554?hash=item41adf0f74a:g:It0AAOSwZ1BXfCsy

The DX4E is only 4 channel and it feels kind of cheap but that has been a good little transmitter for me. The DXE is 89 bucks but at that price it's kind of like why not go ahead and get a DX6i for 130 bucks? I really trust Spektrum so I am sort of biased.

Last edited:

Red Raven

Thanks, I will. I'm planning on getting the HK 6CH TX or the FS-i6 at the moment. When HK shipping is included the prices get a little closer, so I'm going with amazon instead. My birthday is coming up so I'll be asking for either one. I need a power pack a lot more than a high-end TX, so I'll be happy either way.

pressalltheknobs

Thanks, I will. I'm planning on getting the HK 6CH TX or the FS-i6 at the moment. When HK shipping is included the prices get a little closer, so I'm going with amazon instead. My birthday is coming up so I'll be asking for either one. I need a power pack a lot more than a high-end TX, so I'll be happy either way.

The Bangood link I posted comes with the better iA6B receiver for about the same price and you can get it free US ship in 2-6 business days.

You can get it cheaper if you get if from the Chinese warehouse. If you pick the the next fastest shipping over free from china you may only pay a dollar or so to get it in 2 weeks or so if your order is over a certain amount.

Banggood also stock some spares for the i6.

They are pretty responsive about issues. Returns may not be quite as easy as Amazon but with Amazon you have 30 day then good luck particularly if it's a marketplace seller which are a mixed bag.

Red Raven

The Bangood link I posted comes with the better iA6B receiver for about the same price and you can get it free US ship in 2-6 business days.

You can get it cheaper if you get if from the Chinese warehouse. If you pick the the next fastest shipping over free from china you may only pay a dollar or so to get it in 2 weeks or so if your order is over a certain amount.

Banggood also stock some spares for the i6.

They are pretty responsive about issues. Returns may not be quite as easy as Amazon but with Amazon you have 30 day then good luck particularly if it's a marketplace seller which are a mixed bag.

What does that RX have over the other one?

pressalltheknobs

It supports full FlySky telemetry using the C type daisy chained sensors, CPPM, ibus, and supposedly has better range. It's a few grams heavier because it comes in a plastic case, which you can remove if you need it smaller.

I totally agree with @pressalltheknobs. On my second i6, this is currently the most for the buck transmitter out there, except the Taranis. But the Taranis is not cheap and is complicated for a beginner to grasp. (Unless your really good with computers and programming).

If you get the i6 get the bundle with the ia6b RX and a CV01 voltage sensor module on the side. Cheapest telemetry with really good range.
The voltage sensor is even cheaper than a Lipo alarm. The combined price of the TX and the voltage sensor is about $15 making it the cheapest 6ch with telemetry functions.
The reason I got a second i6 was that I needed another RX for my FT Vector and the TX was only €30 extra :)
I also have the usb programming cable, I modded my new Flysky i6 the minute I unpacked it. Now it has 10 channels and proper voltage setting for the alarm. The ends of sticks are better than my other Turnigy i6 (that TX was included in my quad).

Last edited:

Red Raven

It supports full FlySky telemetry using the C type daisy chained sensors, CPPM, ibus, and supposedly has better range. It's a few grams heavier because it comes in a plastic case, which you can remove if you need it smaller.

Oh wow. I just checked the bangood link again and.... how the hell is their shipping that good? I checked and it really is free. Priority is only $0.91 for 9 day shipping! That's drastically different from HK and a few other Chinese stores. Also, that RX sounds really nice. I actually prefer the hard casing too. Do those two antennas give it true diversity? I think I might get that Bangood bundle instead.

Red Raven

I totally agree with @pressalltheknobs. On my second i6, this is currently the most for the buck transmitter out there, except the Taranis. But the Taranis is not cheap and is complicated for a beginner to grasp. (Unless your really good with computers and programming).

If you get the i6 get the bundle with the ia6b RX and a CV01 voltage sensor module on the side. Cheapest telemetry with really good range.
The voltage sensor is even cheaper than a Lipo alarm. The combined price of the TX and the voltage sensor is about $15 making it the cheapest 6ch with telemetry functions.
The reason I got a second i6 was that I needed another RX for my FT Vector and the TX was only €30 extra :)
I also have the usb programming cable, I modded my new Flysky i6 the minute I unpacked it. Now it has 10 channels and proper voltage setting for the alarm. The ends of sticks are better than my other Turnigy i6 (that TX was included in my quad).

I didn't see a bundle that included the voltage sensor with the TX and RX. But I'd still be willing to buy the voltage sensor separately. That sounds great. And I wouldn't have to do a slow, low pass just to hear the alarm.

pressalltheknobs

The i6 alarm is not great so don't get too excited but it is there. Stock it is only for the RX battery. You will need the Voltage sensor
http://www.banggood.com/Flysky-FS-C...n-Module-For-iA6B-iA10-Receiver-p-976303.html

and to flash the TX with the hacked firmware to have it work for the main battery. The original thread is here...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2486545

and various files have been collected here...
https://github.com/benb0jangles/FlySky-i6-Mod-

Stock, the Voltage sensor will give you the voltage, just no alarm. I think there is a hack so you don't need the sensor...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2402288

To flash the firmware you will need one of these
http://www.banggood.com/FlySky-Data...-T6-Transmitter-Firmware-Update-p-982289.html

But there are other ways...see those links.

pressalltheknobs

I should note that the firmware update is a hacked version of the FlySky Firmware. It was not written from scratch but is a rearranged and patched version of the original. The guys that did it, ThomHpl and mostly dave borthwick, seems to have moved on to other things so it's is not likely to be updated. The other issue is the original FlySky i6 Firmware is no longer downloadable from their site. I thought I found it it on the Chinese site but avast didn't like the file for some reason and it seemed smaller than other versions. Benbojangles has a copy of the Turnigy version I think which is or was also available from the HK site.

Anyway, all fun stuff. Just research it a bit before charging in. You might want to go flying before you start modding.

The i6 alarm is not great so don't get too excited but it is there. Stock it is only for the RX battery. You will need the Voltage sensor

Stock, the Voltage sensor will give you the voltage, just no alarm. I think there is a hack so you don't need the sensor...

Slight correction, with the Voltage sensor you will get an audible alarm, both warning and below lowest setting. Not very load but audible. The "problem" with the alarm is that you can only set the highest voltage to 10V on the alarm on the stock firmware forcing you to set the pin to only two cells and not monitoring the third. This is how it sounds below lowest setting on my modded 10ch Flysky i6:

pressalltheknobs

Yeah. I did garble that up a bit...

Stock you get an RX battery voltage alarm that is build in to the iA6 and iA6B receivers. You don't need a separate sensor. That's good if you fly gas and use a direct RX battery but if you fly electric you will most likely use a regulated voltage from a BEC so it doesn't tell you what you want to know.

However there is a hack to allow the iA6 and iA6B to return the main battery voltage as the RX voltage so you can take advantage of the alarm.

As mOOndancer points out, the problem is the voltage range for the RX alarm is limited so you have to use a work around.

I believe the hacked firmware fixes this...

The FS-CVT01 voltage sensor that works with the iA62B reports voltage as a different telemetry value so it may not be that useful. Stock, you can display the value it reports on the telemetry status screen but there is no alarm. The hack thread discusses it but I don't remember off hand if the hacked firmware makes any better use of it.

Just don't get the other "T" series voltage sensor the comes with the i10. It doesn't work with the i6A 2B very well if at all.

Last edited:
Yeah. I did garble that up a bit...

As mOOndancer points out, the problem is the voltage range for the RX alarm is limited so you have to use a work around.

I believe the hacked firmware fixes this...

The FS-CVT01 voltage sensor that works with the iA62B reports voltage as a different telemetry value so it may not be that useful. Stock, you can display the value it reports on the telemetry status screen but there is no alarm. The hack thread discusses it but I don't remember off hand if the hacked firmware makes any better use of it.

Just don't get the other "T" series voltage sensor the comes with the i10. It doesn't work with the i6A 2B very well if at all.

Clarification:

• The FS-CVT01 give you voltage telemetry from an external source.
  • There is audible alarm for the Voltage readings regardless of the firmware.
  • Stock firmware works fine (got a stock Turnigy i6 as well), besides the Voltage value with a FS-ia6bv2/FS-CTV01 combo
  • 10ch modded firmware works as well as you could see in my video.
  • The 10ch firmware also gives you the function to select type of chemistry/internal/external Nihm/Lipo 1-15 Cells Low/Alarm/High settings with proper Voltage values.
  • You can make three sensors visible on the display

I have not tested the hack on the ia6 parkflyer RX, but that's a project for another day.

pressalltheknobs

As far as I know, in the stock firmware, the audible alarm is only on the "RX" Voltage value. The external voltage that the FS-CVT01 reports has no associated alarm. You have to re-purpose the "RX" alarm by hacking the RX to read an external voltage.

Does the hack firmware add an alarm for other voltage values or perhaps substitute the RX value with the "external" value? I think it just changes the ranges on the "RX" value but I haven't tried it and it's a while since I read about it.