Looking for good recording quad build

Viizzai

Looking to build a good quad for recording. I know that tricopters are typically better for recording because they keep the props out of the shot but I think something more mechanically simple for a first build. Basically what I need in my quad is a decent flight time and a good range. I'm planning to use it to look around a gold claim in BC my grandfather and I work every summer. I think it would be a great surprise to have finished this summer and a birthday present for the both of us. All it needs to do is carry a small camera like a gopro and maybe fly for 20 minutes or more on a single charge. I'm looking to spend less than 250 USD on it and I don't think that would be a problem. Any recommendations are appreciated. My only experience with RC stuff is a basic plane I've built and an AR Drone 2.0

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Welcome to Flite Test :),

20 minutes of flight time might be a little demanding. That said, to have a nice camera plattform you probably want to build a bigger quad with 10"ish or bigger props and slow motors. I am building one with 10x4,5 props and a 1000kv motor right now. I wanted to go a little lower with the kv, but I couldn't find proper motors at the time.

The build I'm working on:
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?14006-MWelectroSpider

Viizzai

Hello Balu! I've seen you around on FliteTest Youtube videos and finally decided to join the forums for help on my first build. I was looking at some hexTronic DT750's with 11x4.7 props. The video setup doesn't need to be great just needs to bring me back video with high enough quality to make out basic things like distance and clearings. It would basically be a surveying drone with some recreational flying on the side. I don't really need a pre-built frame as I'll probably just build my own out of some wood. That build looks awesome already! I've always found quads with one line of symmetry more attractive than typical X quads. Eventually I want to build a V-tail quad like the one David had a while back but I want something more conventional for a first build.

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
You might look into spider quad (AKA dead cat) configurations. It's a quad, but the front two booms are spread further apart, similar to a tricopter. That might be easier to get the props out of frame on your video.

Here's an example.

Viizzai

I've taken a look at dead cat quads before and they look nice but I don't mind having the props this is going to be more of a functional quad than a stylish one although spider quads don't really decrease functionality I prefer a simple X quad because I figure they're easier to repair and set up. I'm not sure if the flight board I had in mind (KK2.1.5) just instantly has spider quad setups on it with minimal adjustments. I would be all for it if it required the same settings as a typical X quad. What capacity of battery would you reccomend by the way? I'm not sure on the power consumption of quads. the motors I had in mind were hexTronic DT750's with 11x4.7 props but I don't know how much battery they eat up.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
You should be fine with a typical X-quad configuration on your KK2.1.5 for a dead cat style copter. Only the center of lift (and with it the best position of the flight controller) moves back a little (I've done an article on how to calculate that if you want to know the details). Fixing it isn't more difficult either, since it doesn't really differ from an X4 that regard. On the plus side you have more field of view for a camera and it's easier to identify the orientation of the quad (where the front is).

A basic frame like the ElectroHub or the Anycopter Hub (has plans if you want to cut one yourself) is a really good way to be able to test all kinds of configurations, no matter if X4, +4, dead cat, tri, hex, or even octo configuration.

The DT750 are well known here, but I have no experience with them so far. According to HK they are supposed to have 900g of thrust with an 11" prop. This times 4 should be more than enough to lift your quad.

Tip for KK boards: Don't use the stock firmware, but upgrade to something like Stevie's firmware. The stock firmware is known to work, but not very good.

Viizzai

So for a dead cat all I would need to do is give the front rotors a bit more power or the back ones a bit less?

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
You kind of don't need to think about it. As balu indicated, you just have to position the KK at the center of gravity/center of list, which will be a little back from where an X quad would be. The KK has sensors (gyros) that will adjust the motor speeds for you automatically based on the change in angles it detects.

Viizzai

I may go with a dead cat then my only concern is the frame because I was planning to build my own frame (basically two pieces of wood put together in an X) but with a dead cat I would need more precise measurements. How much should I rotate the front arm out? I could just build an X quad then cut off the front two and refix them to the body pushed out a bit.

khostr

hey viizzai there are free build planes of every flitetest design. just pull the electrohub plates plans and trace them over and cut them out! cheers.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
Is anyone looking at these motors. My son told me about them. It seems like they are the way to go for long flight times.

Viizzai

I guess I'll go with a wooden electrohub then. What kind of components should I be looking at for this? Like ESC amperage and battery capacity. Should I get a new tx/rx my current one is a hobby king 6S.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
A very common battery size is a 2200 mAh LiPo. What size of ESC you need, depends on the props and motor you are going to use. You can just look at other builds here in the forum to see what others have used.

Viizzai

Ok I have a part list together. It's got a pretty big battery but I'm confident the quad will be able to lift it.
So I'm planning on using my current TX/RX it's a 6 channel HK6S.
Control board: KK 2.1.5
ESCs: Turnigy 30A
Motors: Hextronic DT750
Props: Carbon Fiber 11x4.7 LH+RH pair
Battery: Zippy Flightmax 4000 mAh 3S Lipo
So the total comes out at around 186 USD and a bit more with shipping. I'll talk to my grandfather about it and see what he thinks. If anyone sees any problems with this I'd like to hear them as this is my first build and I want to order all my parts at once. If anyone wants links for the products on the HK website I'll add them.

RichB

My tricopter had those motors and props and got just about 20 minutes with a 5000mah 3 cell.

An h-quad would work well for what you want to do: get the props out of the camera view.

If I were you I would get a ready-to-flyer board, as you can add a GPS to it later and then send it on pre-planned missions. That would be useful for surveying the land you are looking to survey.

Viizzai

I was thinking about plastic props for sure because I can differentiate the front and back while flying. It's possible I'll hit lots of branches too so I'll change the props out.
Ill get 8 green 11x4.7 props 4 left hand and 4 right hand and 8 blue ones that come as sets of 4 with 2 LH/RH rotation in each set. As for the ready to flyer board I think I'll go with the KK2.1.5 still and I may switch later on as I learn more and get more confident.

Viizzai

Started the build today and finished the frame. Should be starting the electronics tomorrow. Should I start a new thread for the build or post pictures here?