Losing signal with AR400 and DX6i.

Fred98050

Hi,

Very new at all of this, started the hobby about 2 months ago.

I just completed our first build, FT22. Went for maiden flight today and it didn't work out very well, to say the least...
[Nevertheless building it with the kids was priceless..;)]

Setup:

Plane: FT22
RC: AR 400
TX: DX6i
Servo: Suppo 9g
Battery: 1000mAh, #cell/3S 11.1 V Lipo
Motor: Suppo 2208/14 1450kv
ESC: Suppo 20 A
Throw: 40 deg
Expo :30%

After launching, the plane climbed nicely to about 50 -60 feet (straight), I started a right turn it felt like it took 1 sec before responding to command, then worked ok for about 30 seconds and I lost control, the plane wasn't responding, went into a diving turn. Crash 1.

Verified, servo and motor operation on ground, changed the battery (same specs). Re-launched and same thing happened again. This time I had throttle but no elevons control. Then elevons control again but too late for my abilities and that was the final crash. Nose dive and destroyed.

During the entire time the plane wasn't further than 150 feet from me.

After reading here I have checked a few things:
DX6i Is setup as US247.
No rod binding, no loose connections at servo or receiver, Control horns all good. Can't see any mechanical reason for it.
Looks like it is electronic related.

From my setup, is there anything that would prevent it from working properly?

Tomorrow I will transfer Receiver, ESC and battery to another plane and see if it happens again. Might be a faulty servo.

Any suggestion(s)?

Thank you.

Frederic.

PS: Read all about CG issues with FT22 but mine was balanced nicely. Don't think that it was an issue.

flockshot

The user manual suggests that the antenna location could cause such an problem. Perhaps try repositioning the receiver antenna.

frogman

Did you do a range check. I was out doing a maiden on my FT Spitfire Saturday and all was good for a few flights. On the third one it spiraled in (no damage but a broken prop). It lost connection with the TX. I figured it was the cheapo generic receiver. After swapping receivers to a Spektrum and doing a range check with the receiver outside the plane I still had the same range issues. I also tested with my glider that has a satellite receiver and only got about 15 paces in Range Check mode.

After 3 tests in 2 planes with the same result I deducted my tx has gone bad. It is also a DX6i but it is about 5-6 years old and well used. I think something went wrong with my antenna internally.....probably a break in the coax inside the insulation causing a short. I had issues early in the spring testing in my house then it all went away and has been fine till now. Needless to say this DX6i is now confined to buddy box status. I found a DX7 at RCGroups classifieds for $112 so I will be back in the air soon.

I would test the TX with other planes as well. Do a range check with the directions found in the manual. Don't trust another plane in the air till you have range checked a few times successfully.

Fred98050

The user manual suggests that the antenna location could cause such an problem. Perhaps try repositioning the receiver antenna.

Thanks, I saw that on a spectrum Youtube video. I will make sure that both ends of antenna are at 90 deg. I don't think that I had it setup right.
Thanks.

Fred98050

Did you do a range check. I was out doing a maiden on my FT Spitfire Saturday and all was good for a few flights. On the third one it spiraled in (no damage but a broken prop). It lost connection with the TX. I figured it was the cheapo generic receiver. After swapping receivers to a Spektrum and doing a range check with the receiver outside the plane I still had the same range issues. I also tested with my glider that has a satellite receiver and only got about 15 paces in Range Check mode.

After 3 tests in 2 planes with the same result I deducted my tx has gone bad. It is also a DX6i but it is about 5-6 years old and well used. I think something went wrong with my antenna internally.....probably a break in the coax inside the insulation causing a short. I had issues early in the spring testing in my house then it all went away and has been fine till now. Needless to say this DX6i is now confined to buddy box status. I found a DX7 at RCGroups classifieds for $112 so I will be back in the air soon.

I would test the TX with other planes as well. Do a range check with the directions found in the manual. Don't trust another plane in the air till you have range checked a few times successfully.

Didn't know about Range Check, I will most definitively test it. I should have read the entire manual first. ;)

Thanks a lot.

Fred98050

Quick Update

This evening, I decided to try the FT22 again after repairing the nose and making some modifications.

_ Kept the AR400
- Used bigger rods for elevons. (makes a big difference)
- Replaced the servos with 2 new Suppo. I noticed that my old setup had one Suppo servo the other was an Hextronic (don't know if it matters and it might have been the problem).
- Used same receiver, motor, Battery and ESC.
- Modified location of one antenna of the receiver, made sure the ends were at 90 deg.
- Setup throw at 40 deg and expo at 30%.
- Did a range test and a fail safe test. All checked ok.

Launched the (pretty beat up) FT22 and it flew really well !!!!!!

No loss of signal, very responsive. It was just great. The whole nose was pretty beat up after yesterday but still flew nicely.

Lesson learned. Now, time to make another one.

Thanks