Maker Foam Explorer Order Cancelled

aatb13

Ordered a maker foam explorer for my son as a Christmas present with his understanding that it was backordered and would get here sometime after the holidays (hopefully closer to spring). I got an email a week ago asking if I still wanted to keep the order and I went through the process of confirming that I was willing to wait and to keep my order on backorder status. This evening, I received another email notifying me the order has been cancelled. From the email, " the most likely reason is the item has been discontinued, and we are currently not able to source it". Having hyped maker foam as a better material than the standard foam board, it looks like they can't get anymore of it. I think all of their make foam kits are out of stock. Bit disappointing but not the end of the world.

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
Ordered a maker foam explorer for my son as a Christmas present with his understanding that it was backordered and would get here sometime after the holidays (hopefully closer to spring). I got an email a week ago asking if I still wanted to keep the order and I went through the process of confirming that I was willing to wait and to keep my order on backorder status. This evening, I received another email notifying me the order has been cancelled. From the email, " the most likely reason is the item has been discontinued, and we are currently not able to source it". Having hyped maker foam as a better material than the standard foam board, it looks like they can't get anymore of it. I think all of their make foam kits are out of stock. Bit disappointing but not the end of the world.

I like the brown flitetest foam better than Maker Foam. It's more waterproof. I had a plane that used both makerfoam and brown FT foam, and when I flew it in wet conditions, the brown foam held up better. I think FT realized this, and is switching back to brown foam. That's why your order got changed.

Great choice on the explorer! In my opinion, it's the best trainer.

Flyingshark

Master member
I like the brown flitetest foam better than Maker Foam. It's more waterproof. I had a plane that used both makerfoam and brown FT foam, and when I flew it in wet conditions, the brown foam held up better. I think FT realized this, and is switching back to brown foam. That's why your order got changed.

Great choice on the explorer! In my opinion, it's the best trainer.
I hope you're right! The brown foam is great in every aspect but the color, and I'd rather have a durable brown plane than a flimsy, more aesthetically pleasing one. :)

GrizWiz

Elite member
If you look at the store FliteTest is taking them off and now there are mostly brown foam! There have been complaints about the maker foam and they are realizing that it is not very good! I bought the new mini ms corsair but it came in brown foam instead of maker foam as specified in the build video

I hope you're right! The brown foam is great in every aspect but the color, and I'd rather have a durable brown plane than a flimsy, more aesthetically pleasing one. :)
Great news all around! Except possibly for one thing. I don't know how the maker FB takes paint - I love the brown except for that. The brown has given me some trouble with paint. Specifically when I spray one color and then tape off for another color. I've tried almost every trick up my sleeve, but the tape still tries to bring up some paint with it. :confused: Well I guess sometimes you can't have everything.
(PS: I like the brown color! :p )

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Great news all around! Except possibly for one thing. I don't know how the maker FB takes paint - I love the brown except for that. The brown has given me some trouble with paint. Specifically when I spray one color and then tape off for another color. I've tried almost every trick up my sleeve, but the tape still tries to bring up some paint with it. :confused: Well I guess sometimes you can't have everything.
(PS: I like the brown color! :p )

When I painted the brown foam I sealed all exposed foam with white Gorilla wood glue over lapping the paper about 2mm then all I did was prime it with sanding primer. Lightly sanded smooth. Painted the colors I wanted and any taping needed I used Frog tape.. Bestest tape for painting IMO. Gives solid lines, doesn't wick paint on or under its edges, and peels off easily as long as you do it while the paint is tacky not fully cured but that's standard procedure anyway.

Mr.Grinch

I’ve had my maker foam ms mustang order from back in November cancelled and now it’s not available at all. So, yeah, I think maker foam is going away. I’m fine with the brown foam, but I was looking forward to making some kind of night flyer with lights using the maker foam since it was more translucent. Hopefully FT comes up with some improved version soon, or gets all the kits available in brown foam again. I’m waiting to order the ms mustang and spitfire.