Making use of left over electronics...

maxxnslash

Since I can't seem to sell these P-51's, I want to make a plane or two out of them. I have 2 motors, 2 escs, and 6 servos all from a Tower Hobbies 40" RxR P-51 Mustang. Through a complex line of events, I figured out, I do not like that style of flying. I like to fly a little slow, as well as a little fast. Basically I had to fly fast all the time, and I just wasn't happy with how it flew. Anyways, I want to build/buy a plane (or two) to use up those electronics. At the moment, I have a Radian, a Versa wing, and a electrohub. On my purchase list was an old speedster, simple storch, Ft-3D, and FT duster. As far as the power plant that comes in the RxR 40", would it work in any of those? Maybe another suggestion that might fit into my area of flying I am interested in? I'm definitely new to flying, as well as building planes, so I need some help.

Attachments

• 20140927_192024_zpsa2adf9a1.jpg
    20140927_192024_zpsa2adf9a1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 32

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
You could build any of FT planes with that set up. So just pick a bird that fits your flying style and go for it

maxxnslash

Well, the shaft that slides down over the motor shaft itself (I don't know the correct name), is bent. I don't see a replacement on towers site. Where would I be able to get one that fits the motor shaft, or how could I figure out the size I need? Also, say I use it in the Duster, what prop should I run if i plan on using a 2200 3s? I'm not sure if I am missing anything or not.

ViperTech

You might consider a simple stick build with that setup too. They can be a good all around plane you can fly slow or fast, controlled or crazy and easy to build! I have a scratch built one of my own design that has a 1400 kv motor on it with a 8x4 prop and a 1500 3s battery and it is a blast to fly.

View attachment 32965 View attachment 32966 View attachment 32968

Not much to look at but crazy fun to fly esp in some wind!

I am working on detailed plans but it is basic 2 fuse panels some formers a kfm2 wing straight cuts and electronics and fun time!

Here are the plans (drawn up in windows 7 paint) the pattern is actual size for a 20x30 sheet of DTFB if you print it, just change the printer to print actual size. I have a few notes about the wing construction on there. I need to finish up the former placement and battery tray location, which is in the front and the battery loads in the front on top, so no flipping the plane over and no wing removal to install the battery. I'll be busy the next few nights but if your interested in building the E'straparaMental I will get the complete details out as soon a s possible!
View attachment 32969

maxxnslash

Does anyone else have more ideas? I'm half tempted to just do a ft plane, or sell everything. I can't totally decide what I want to do. Anyone know the price I could get approximately?

Hi maxxnslash

Just build a FT spitfire. It is hands down a lovely plane to fly. Easy to fix and you wont feel the same if you crash it compared to the P51. Hell I wished I had a couple of those. My ultimate plane to own.

Back to the FT spitfire. It is not that difficult to build and it fly super stable. I had a 3 axis stabilizer on mine and I could not tell when it was switched on. The only thing that gave it away was I could not perform crazy manoeuvres. This made the plane very scale in its flight. I use my spit now to practice touch and go's as its such a stable flyer. You wont regret it.

Just adding to my post I use a 9x4.5 inch prop with a 2200mah 3 S on my spit. It is a plane where you can fly slow and low and go super fast if you want to, it will handle everything. Just angle the motor a tad bit to give it some down thrust. I use tiny M3 bolts and nuts to fasten my motor to the firewall and I found that a nut on both bolts at the top two holes gives the motor enough down thrust for the plane.

Good luck and happy flying.

Last edited:

maxxnslash

i dont know what you like to fly, but i think you would enjoy a slow stick flyer.

Well, I have only flown an apprentice, a ft-versa, a couple quads, and a radian. I enjoy all of them, and I will probably be buying the cub horizon came out with a short time ago come spring.