Martian II Build log

FrozenDroid

Hi everyone :)

Wanted to show a build log of my first freestyle quad build.
I've done a S500 build before this, but it honestly didn't fly very good, and I think this is due to the poor 3mm bullet propeller adapters.
Anyhow, let's get into the build.

If you want to follow along, read the whole build first before starting!
Parts list:
FC: Matek F722
PDB & VTX: Matek FCHUB-VTX
Motors: DYS SE2205 Pro 2300KV
ESCs: Aikon AK32 35A 4S
Frame: Martian II 220mm
Receiver: Turnigy iA6C
Camera: Foxeer Micro Arrow Pro

20180724_184401.jpg

I started by assembling the arms and bottom plate, putting bolts through them and laying the separator, and then the PCB on top.

20180724_193753.jpg

Soldered the included XT60 connector on, making sure to get the polarity right.
Also screwed on the rods on the bottom plate.
Standoffs go on for the stack, but these go off soon...

20180724_194814.jpg

I had to instead use slightly longer standoffs for my VTX and PDB...

20180724_195409.jpg

There's barely any space between the nuts and the VTX, as you can see, so the longer standoffs really saved my butt.

20180724_202942.jpg

Soldered the battery sense leads to the PDB so the transmitter can tell me the battery voltage.

20180724_212348.jpg

Time to solder the VTX/PDB to the battery pads.
Could probably have done a better job here.

20180724_215241.jpg

Just received the ESCs, so the motors and ESCs go on.

20180724_225400.jpg

All ESCs and motors are on!
The PDB makes this looks really neat.
20180724_235220.jpg

Top plate on and done! Don't worry, I did tape the rest of the ESCs down later as well :)

I've already done the maiden flight, and it flies absolutely amazing.

Now, I recommend getting a different camera because this one does not fit well.

Attachments

• 20180724_195406.jpg
    20180724_195406.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 0

FrozenDroid

Nice job for only your second build. Any chance for some flight footage soon?
Absolutely. It'd probably have to be DVR, as I've tried to put my GoPro Hero 5 on it but it makes it too heavy. Maybe with the 4S battery I ordered it'll be better though... We'll see.
Tomorrow is the soonest I can fly again, since I had to order a new camera. The current one has a way too loose mount.
I might also redo my stack, because it's a bit too high currently. It makes the battery strap rub against the top of the FC, and I'm not a fan of that.

FrozenDroid

Just found out that one of the motors was a 2550kv by mistake, LOL! And I hadn't even noticed while flying. I guess that goes to show how well flight controllers do their jobs. Reported it to the shop who sent me the wrong motor and they're sending me the right one now.
Video is coming soon, just been too lazy to edit something together!

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Yup, your FC doesn't care what motors you run... It will happily fly with 4 completely different motors and/or props, but your performance will be limited to the weakest set.

FrozenDroid

Watch Skitzo's " Franken Quad" video. NOTHING matched and it flew ok.
That's amazing lol. I do think mine flies a bit better than that though, haha. Makes sense though as only one motor is mismatched :)
Should have the correct motor either today or tomorrow.

Will go to my favorite flying place and record some footage. I managed to get the GoPro on there, with a 3d printed mount.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Nice, another martian pilot in the house! I still enjoy flying my 5" martian even though it is just over two years old. Your build reminds me of one of my friends who built a martian with a micro camera, except he also mistakenly used a 20 x 20 fc as well. If you're mounting your battery on top, I suggest putting a foam or gel pad up there to add some grip and cushion the bottom of the battery. Check out the martian 5" link in my signature to see what I use. A foam pad and two battery straps really holds on to the battery well.

Looking forward to seeing some footage!

FrozenDroid

Nice, another martian pilot in the house! I still enjoy flying my 5" martian even though it is just over two years old. Your build reminds me of one of my friends who built a martian with a micro camera, except he also mistakenly used a 20 x 20 fc as well. If you're mounting your battery on top, I suggest putting a foam or gel pad up there to add some grip and cushion the bottom of the battery. Check out the martian 5" link in my signature to see what I use. A foam pad and two battery straps really holds on to the battery well.

Looking forward to seeing some footage!

Don't think I'll need foam on top, even with just one strap the battery sits pretty tight. Probably a good idea to add a second though :)
I ended up getting another camera. I did have to adapt the plate that screws in to the camera a bit since the connector is wider than normal. Works well now though!