Spitfire76's Build log of 3dLabPrint's A10 Thunderbolt II

Spitfire76

I am starting a build log but this plane has yet to be released by 3dLabPrint. There has been a few teasers on their FB group and on Instagram indicating a February release.
IMG_4616.jpeg IMG_4611.jpeg
I am also entering this as one of the planes to build and fly in the Build-ruary challenge.

Although its still pending release I do have one part which was made available as a test in this article for printing on Bambu Lab printers.

I used those setting to print it on my P1P using PolyLight 1.0 LW-PLA but it did take almost 6hours. It came out really well and weighed in at 46g. This is a thick wing section so it looks like this will be a large plane.

Last edited:

Spitfire76

Build-ruary challenge day 4 of 29

I am placing this build on hold as the files are still not released and replacing this build-ruary entry with 3dLabPrint's J35 Saab Draken. I’ll keep this log as I may build the A10 later in the year.

Last edited:

Spitfire76

My reaction when this plane released was to buy it immediately, especially with the 20% discount for existing customers but its a complex plane and so I decided to first check on what it would cost to build and my initial estimate is around $1000!. Now, I don't have any 6s batteries so at least 2 would be needed. Apart from 2 70mm EDFs with ESCs there are up to 13 servos and I would not want to rely on the really cheap ones. There are also retracts and again don't won't to rely on really cheap ones and end up with them collapsing on one of my hard landings.

And finally I have only built and flown one EDF plane before and haven't had much stick time on jets.

So I am going to hold off on this build, at least for the moment and attempt to finish and fly some of my other builds that are in various stages of construction.

Last edited:

DaveM

CEO Flite Test
My reaction when this plane released was to buy it immediately, especially with the 20% discount for existing customers but its a complex plane and so I decided to first check on what it would cost to build and my initial estimate is around $1000!. Now, I don't have any 6s batteries so at least 2 would be needed. Apart from 2 70mm EDFs with ESCs there are up to 13 servos and I would not want to rely on the really cheap ones. There are also retracts and again don't won't to rely on really cheap ones and end up with them collapsing on one of my hard landings.

And finally I have only built and flown one EDF plane before and haven't had much stick time on jets.

So I am going to hold off on this build, at least for the moment and attempt to finish and fly some of my other builds that are in various stages of construction.
A wise choice to set this project aside until your skills are such that you minimize risking the plane on early flights. I have been flying RC for a long time and I have planes that are over 25 years old. I find I reach for inexpensive foam planes because they are less expensive to replace. I can afford more expensive planes but I just don’t enjoy flying my museum pieces as I do my Scout or Arrow and soon my Yak.

Most Important is you do you. No judging here!

Spitfire76

A wise choice to set this project aside until your skills are such that you minimize risking the plane on early flights. I have been flying RC for a long time and I have planes that are over 25 years old. I find I reach for inexpensive foam planes because they are less expensive to replace. I can afford more expensive planes but I just don’t enjoy flying my museum pieces as I do my Scout or Arrow and soon my Yak.

Most Important is you do you. No judging here!

For sure I am not ready to fly a plane like this just yet but did an interesting exercise to compare the cost of building a foam board equivalent.

I found that this A10 airframe would cost about the same as the master series F18 SBK as, apart from the one time cost of the 3dprint files its mainly the cost of filament. I would then need a pair of the same or similar 70mm EDFs and ESCs for either build and at least 2 preferably 3 6s batteries. It turns out that the main cost different between the builds is the A10 has retracts which for decent ones would be around $200. As my AMA club has a 600ft petromat runway they would be nice to have.

So looking at it like that its not foam board vs 3dprinting but just the cost of building a large twin EDF jet

Last edited:

DaveM

CEO Flite Test
For sure I am not ready to fly a plane like this just yet but did an interesting exercise to compare the cost of building a foam board equivalent.

I found that this A10 airframe would cost about the same as the master series F18 SBK as, apart from the one time cost of the 3dprint files its mainly the cost of filament. I would then need a pair of the same or similar 70mm EDFs and ESCs for either build and at least 2 preferably 3 6s batteries. It turns out that the main cost different between the builds is the A10 has retracts which for decent ones would be around $200. As my AMA club has a 600ft petromat runway they would be nice to have.

So looking at it like that its not foam board vs 3dprinting but just the cost of building a large twin EDF jet
Take a look at the various Flite Test sport and aerobatic planes. Their All-Up-Weight is low meaning less powerful motor (smaller diameter EDF), lower amperage ESCs, and smaller batteries are required. This makes a big difference in total acquisition cost. And, with less mass there is less damage when we crash. Or should I say, when I crash.

Of course I am biased. I have two Eclipson planes I have ready to be printed. The time to print and assembly time will likely be pretty high. I purchased Flite Test Power Packs for the Eclipson planes. The price is reasonable and the Eclipson designs are beautiful.

Spitfire76

Take a look at the various Flite Test sport and aerobatic planes. Their All-Up-Weight is low meaning less powerful motor (smaller diameter EDF), lower amperage ESCs, and smaller batteries are required. This makes a big difference in total acquisition cost. And, with less mass there is less damage when we crash. Or should I say, when I crash.

Of course I am biased. I have two Eclipson planes I have ready to be printed. The time to print and assembly time will likely be pretty high. I purchased Flite Test Power Packs for the Eclipson planes. The price is reasonable and the Eclipson designs are beautiful.
I've built and flown a number of FT foam boards planes since buying my first SBK at Flitefest West in 2017 but my first EDF powered plane was Ben Harber's F16 (profile photo) which I built after FF2023 as I was so impressed by the F18s. I've also built a number of Eclipson planes as well as a couple of other 3DLP planes but they have all been with props with the exception of this that's still on my bench.

The cost of the Draken wasn't too bad as it requires only one 50mm EDF, 4s batteries and has no landing gear. I should really finish and fly this one before even considering the A10 but it just looked such a cool plane :)

Last edited:

Oldrover TJ

I find myself building and the rebuilding the 3D lab print cub. Foam board can take a ton of abuse but I LOVE the the way a 3d printed plane looks and flies.

L Edge

Master member
I've built and flown a number of FT foam boards planes since buying my first SBK at Flitefest West in 2017 but my first EDF powered plane was Ben Harber's F16 (profile photo) which I built after FF2023 as I was so impressed by the F18s. I've also built a number of Eclipson planes as well as a couple of other 3DLP planes but they have all been with props with the exception of this that's still on my bench.

The cost of the Draken wasn't too bad as it requires only one 50mm EDF, 4s batteries and has no landing gear. I should really finish and fly this one before even considering the A10 but it just looked such a cool plane :)

In making the transition to EDF jets, the first thing you need to do is start with a trainer and be able to adjust to a different style of flying. It can be rather cheap if you start out with a foam trainer(preferably landing gear) using your 50mm and get lots of experience so the takeoffs are nice and smooth and the landings are where you want to put them.
Until you learn and sense that the landing needs to be wide turns that slowing down is done by throttle management and landings are just above stall and controlled by the elevator, you will never hit your landing mark. Why do that with a Sr-71 or warthog and waste big dollars.

So find a foam trainer for the EDF 50 and practice, practice and then you can get that one A-10 that you want.

Will it cost big bucks? If you don't want perfection, 2 70's and a foamy body can do it. Better yet, I have EDF64mm planes such as the SR-71, Warthog A-10, DarkStar, and single one F-117(made out of Adams Redi-Board). Also, have a X-47B that runs on 2 servos, 64 5 bladed fan plus thrust vectoring. Planes I make and each Esc plus 5 bladed unit cost me $69.98 and run on 3S.