McB JN-4 Jenny

McB JN-4 Jenny 1.3

Please log in to download

Tench745

Master member
Tench745 submitted a new resource:

McB JN-4 Jenny - A 52" DTFB WWI trainer

This is my third iteration of plans for a Curtiss Jenny built from DTFB. Plans have been modified from the originals for easier and more durable construction, but remain mostly unchanged otherwise. I have not built this final version yet, but it should go together pretty easily as it borrows construction techniques from many FT Builds, including the Sea Angel, Simple Scout, and DR1. I have included 2° of down-thrust, in the fuselage doublers which hold the firewall but it's very possible...

Read more about this resource...

SSgt Duramax

Yay!!! What great timing. This is on my list!

How do you think it would fly on a B pack? I have that, some C packs, and I also have an odd 2210 1400kv motor I have coming in to that was for a project which is now in pieces.

Last edited:

newguy2012

This is great! Can you provide more photos of the build or finished plane? I am looking for a Bipe I can enlarge and make huge

Tench745

Master member
Yay!!! What great timing. This is on my list!

How do you think it would fly on a B pack? I have that, some C packs, and I also have an odd 2210 1400kv motor I have coming in to that was for a project which is now in pieces.

I think it would fly fine on either setup. Like I said in the description, this is a slow-flyer kind of plane. When I flew it on a 3S it was almost uncontrollable at anything over 1/2 throttle. I have added downthrust since then which should help this. That said, 3/4 throttle on a 2S was more than enough to get her in the air.
The big thing about the HK donkey motor this was designed around is the weight. That is a fairly hefty motor and these WWI era planes tend to need that extra nose weight.

This is great! Can you provide more photos of the build or finished plane? I am looking for a Bipe I can enlarge and make huge
I haven't built this version yet, and the last one has been retired. I'll get some parts cut out as soon as I can and take some construction pictures.

Tench745

Master member
I dig the 3rd gen F body in the video... is that your plane hauling ride?
It was. That's Jack, my 1985 Trans Am. I had to sell him a few years ago for something a little more reliable. But mostly because I could only afford one car and I felt bad driving that one in the salt and snow we get here in New York.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Just maidened my Jenny this morning (see thread Fly or Die), thanks for the plans! Flew great even in marginal conditions.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Was able to fly the jenny (flight 2) this morning in much calmer conditions. What a sweet flying plane. Mine has to be flown with rudder to counteract adverse yaw just like you'd expect with that wingspan. It doesn't like to roll but will loop all day long. Love it!

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Thanks again for the great design. I'm building #2 (see what did you crash today) with fold over wings top & bottom. Added trays for servos, receiver & battery. Also will be printing a cowl/battery hatch & radiator.

Tench745

Master member
Thanks again for the great design. I'm building #2 (see what did you crash today) with fold over wings top & bottom. Added trays for servos, receiver & battery. Also will be printing a cowl/battery hatch & radiator.
Can't wait to see it. I'm glad to see someone taking my design and making it their own.