Memorize flight modes

RandomChaos

So took my quad out today, running its APM 2.6. I recently did a nice clean firmware install, calibration, all that jaz, and moved the battery to the bottom of the quad to free up more room on top. Everything was going great, 9 minutes of testing modes to make sure everything was working as expected. Was looking good in the air, so took it a few mistakes high to make sure the accro mode was working as expected. Yup all good there! Battery alarm is going off, ok time to try RTL. Looking great. Telemetry shows battery is still at 11.2v, battery must be approaching its end of life. Voltage drops real bad when going at it in Accro. OK, lets try to do some more loitering. Flipped to the wrong flight mode, which ended up being Accro. Needless to say, it fell out of the sky like a rock! More repairs to do for me!

Note to self, MEMORIZE ALL FLIGHT MODES, and be very deliberate and prepared when switching modes lol.

Crash.jpg

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Ouch!

That's one of the nice "features" of boards with fewer modes . . .

As you get further along you'll likely opt down to 2-3 modes you fly the most, anyways -- too many more than that invites disaster and you'll find you simply don't use all of them. After playing with each it won't take you long to decide which ones you like . . . and which ones you hate. If you choose to stop using one for whatever reason, lock it out of your control to reduce the number of options you've got to keep straight in your head.

RandomChaos

Yea, I have a 6 position pole switch installed that works great for switching through the modes. 1-Stab, 2-Loiter, 3-AltHold, 4-Accro, 5-Auto, 6-RTL. I never use AltHold, so will probably ditch it, and auto is never used at the moment as well. Had just been tinkering with it some to see how well it worked with my current setup. Might go back to my other setup I use that's 1-Stab, 2-Loiter, 3-Accro, 4-RTL, 5-RTL, 6-RTL. I like to keep RTL as my panic mode position since it ignores all inputs, stabilizes itself, and returns to home. This also reminds me to remove the camera for now. Don't use it since it gives off signals that really mess with the GPS. Need to make a shield to put around the camera.

I sure have put this frame through hell. Glad the arms are easy to replace, and fairly cheap on Ebay. I Keep a nice stock on hand as well as props since I like to push my limits :). I Think its time to retire this 4000mah and snag a couple new ones.