Messerschmitt bf 109 Foamy Perliminary Design

unrauv

Yes Another WW2 Fighter.

Me Bf109.png

unrauv

Me 109e Specs

Wing Span: 975 mm
Length : 823 mm
Motor : NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv / 286w (short shaft version)

The Fuse is exactly 30" long to fit Elmer's foam board 20" x 30".
The power pod will be a different design to lower the motor closer to the 109e engine center line.
Will also widen the landing gear a bit for ground stability.
Horizontal tail fin is lower then scale because the logistics of scale design doesn't lend itself to foam board. You can add the horizontal tail fin support struts for a more scale look after.

Me Bf109.png

Last edited:

unrauv

Almost Done, New side view

New Side View with upper ribs:
Me109SideView.png

Fuse Cut Out, Fuse Top Surfaces :
Me109FuseCutOut.png

Wing Cut Out:
WingCutOut.png

Last edited:

LordVader

Looks really good. What software are you using to do this? I have a scratchbuilt 109 but I don't know how to do plans or anything. I did add some braces and put the hstab in the vstab. IMG_4726.JPG IMG_4727.JPG

unrauv

I use Microstation Cadd software. I am able to do quite complicated designs.
FYI I have a P-40 Warhawk on the go.

LordVader

I seen your other thread, very excited to see how it comes out also. Is the software free and is it hard to learn? Thanks for sharing.:)

unrauv

Hey every one, let me know how it flies, the weather is ugly here in Vancouver BC Canada and I will not be able to do a test flight for some time.

unrauv

If you are wondering why I use a bass wood spar, I do this to remove most of the tension and compression on the bottom and top foam sheets of the wing. Foam board at these places will pull apart or compress without help. The main bass wood spar and spar joiner will take 90% of the stress across the dihedral joint . It also makes for a very strong wing! I also like the scale look of a tapered wing.

I am also trying to reduce the amount of hot glue as its can be heavy if you use too much. Where ever I don't need fast adhesion I use LePage PL Premium. I only run a small bead of it. When exposed to air the glue expands and fills in gaps.

20141021_064748.jpg

Last edited:

unrauv

I flew it today, very happy with the design, tapered wing is very nice.

20141104_213101.jpg

20141104_213113.jpg

20141104_213136.jpg

Last edited: