Micro FPV Quad Build Log

Twitchity

My Taranis and X4R receiver finally came in yesterday so I spent last night getting everything figured out and installed on the micro. The Taranis feels a lot different than my DX6i, but I don't think it's anything I won't be able to get used to within a few flights. Also picked up a set of Dominator V3's to replace my old Predators. I must say for the short time I've used these goggles I've been impressed with the feel and quality of video.

X4R installed with a new 20* camera mount
7917C5E0-0188-4715-8ACD-90E16260988D_zpsogxaffds.jpg

And a wider shot to see the length of the antennas in relation to the quad
029D8E74-48EA-4C48-A1CD-CD51809070B9_zpspax6kdj5.jpg

And a short little video. I was getting more interference in the video feed today than normal. Not sure what was causing it. Warning to turn your sound down. The only sound is the static recorded by the goggles. I also need to leave that wire alone, but it's just so much fun to play with.

Twitchity

Yes, there's a wire strung from pole to pole. I always get close to it but this time I hit it. Quad face planted into the ground and only broke one prop. The battery was ejected immediately after hitting the wire. I just need to clean diet out of two motors and I'll be back in the air.

Twitchity

Had a pretty rough crash through a tree yesterday and ended up losing my FPV camera in the process. The quad stood up to the crash just fine, but some of the ESC and receiver wires in the front took some damage. If you look close enough you can see the white receiver wire got ripped out of the connector which was also broken. The ESC wires were a little beat up, but nothing major. I don't know if it will show in the picture, but there is a leaf/tree stain on the pins going down the left side of the board.

33B21B5F-387C-4200-82DE-A45654B76608_zpssbzijove.jpg

Since I lost the camera, and over the past few crashes the ESC wires have started to look a little mangled, I decided it was time to redo the build and hide more of the wires. So first came the disassembly. Boring process so I didn't take any pictures along the way. Once I got the Naze off the quad, I went to wash off the leaf/tree stain and found a nice little crack in the board. Guess I hit the tree harder than I thought. It's on a port that's not used, so hopefully this won't affect me in any way, but I won't know until I get it back in the air. But you can visible see the crack and bend in the board.

57BDFF92-BABA-490B-A1F1-7C6B988458F6_zpsbmuuz2pg.jpg

So since I lost my little FPV camera, and my FC got cracked, I decided it was time to rethink my FPV gear and add some type of board protection. I ordered a FT952 transmitter and I'll be using one of the micro FPV cameras from getfpv.com, just not sure which one yet. I'll also be cutting a CF plate to cover the FC that will double as a mount for the receiver and FPV gear. Still need to figure out a design for the plate and printed parts to mount the camera.

I can't remember if I ever took pictures of the wiring on this thing, and if I did it didn't have the motors attached, so here it is. I didn't want to remove the motor wires from the ESCs if possible so I could just swap the parts over to a new PDB (thanks to OSH Park saying there was an error in the manufacturing process I had 5 extra PDB laying around).

6527A66A-BECA-410F-8259-2E80494A6F4B_zpsvhhbw8vu.jpg

And this is what the nest of wires looks like once separated from the PDB.

9312C33D-3DEE-4ACB-952E-D60201C0F587_zpsake2lfe1.jpg

Since I no longer wanted to have the ESC signal wires sticking out the front of the quad anymore, I decided to solder some short straight pins to the ESC signal pads in the front of the PDB. I flipped them over so the longer end went through the holes and the shorter end was between the PDB and the frame. I then cut the long ends flush with the PDB and soldered them in place. I did this so I could fit all of the wires between the frame and PDB. Once this was done I then took the old wiring harness I made and removed one connector from one end and soldered the wires directly to the pins on the PDB and slid heatshrink over the connections. Other header pins and voltage regulator were also soldered on at this time.

4679E3B0-667B-4979-AEE7-8D30871A0949_zpssmjxe6nk.jpg

FCF51EF7-FB23-4B6A-ABD9-8F792AED7046_zpskxaptgl5.jpg

Now the fun part, soldering on the ESC power and signal wires to the new PDB. This was an absolute pain, but with enough patients it finally came together. The only difference between this and the original are the ESC signal wires that go to the FC are soldered directly to the pins on the PDB.

88ADF960-04B9-4534-99B5-93B7F9F924E0_zpsdwvwkqrz.jpg

Now I needed to get everything in place before I could install the frame. The nice thing about my little bridge for the battery strap is it holds the ESCs in place so I can mount the frame easier. With the ESCs held tightly under the bridge all of the wires can be routed out of the way and the frame can be mounted.

1FB55C6B-A893-49DD-B08F-C90ABB11A3F2_zpsksqvdst6.jpg

And the frame is finally mounted again. You can see the 6 pin connector coming up through the left side of the hole and both front motor wires are routed down the right side of the hole. This was done since the 6 pin connector once connected to the FC sits extremely close to the frame on the left side and there isn't any room for the wires. But both sets of motor wires fit nicely down the right side. It's finally starting to look nice again. If anyone is wondering where I got the black rubber bands, it came from the hair tie section of Walmart and the pack of 500 was $.97. These little things have been fantastic on this build.

85EDD81D-5627-4C1B-ACED-1274A192DCBF_zpssquimhw2.jpg

And it's finally back together. Everything fits great and no wires are pinched. I forgot to remove the receiver wires and solder new ones on when I had to board off since the power and ground wires have been sliced into, but that can wait for the next time I go to work on it. I'm still waiting on some XT30 connectors to replace the JST connector I had on there before.

8E5E339F-9E69-4849-97D6-82F45E21568D_zpsbr4mzefc.jpg

And one last shot to show how much room I don't have to work with on this thing. With the current equipment I have installed I don't think it would be possible for me to make this frame any smaller.

FC5DE15A-3A4A-40C8-A5F9-B8A9B4AC5796_zpsbt2c7eg2.jpg

Last edited:

Twitchity

So the more I look at it, I don't think I'm going to be able to get the FT952 transmitter I ordered on this quad... Just not enough room. Does anyone have any recommendations on a FatShark VTX that would be a good option for this quad? The one I'm looking at right now is from FPV Hobby but will take just about two weeks to get here http://www.fpvhobby.com/242-ghz-avtx-for-raceband.html. Even at 50mw it's more powerful than the Horizon FPV setup I had before, and it can be adjusted up to 100mw.

I'm open to suggestions on other vtx's, but this is looking like my best bet so far.

Edit: And I'm dumb, forgot the FatShark receiver in my goggles works on all the bands (Boscam A, E, FS/IRC, RaceBand so the vtx doesn't have to be FatShark specific.

Last edited:

mpbiv

So how you liking the 1306 4000kv's? You are running them on the little 3S 450mAH nano techs right?

I love those motors on my Comet 150, but that thing is a pig compared to your little beast. I am curious how much faster that thing is considering how light it is.

Also have you considered this camera from Rotorgeeks?
http://rotorgeeks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_32&product_id=449

Similar to the micro cams getfpv is selling but with a slightly different lens. Should have less fish eye and be easier to fly with.

Twitchity

Cranial, thank you. I'm extremely pleased with the way this rendition of the build has turned out. Everything just came together nicely and allowed for a neat package.

mpbiv, I'm really liking these 1306 4000kv motors. They have a lot more power than the 1104's and they feel more substantial in your hands; quad doesn't feel like a little toy anymore. I'm uploading another video, starting around the 2min mark I believe I went full throttle before the roll so you might be able to get some sense of the speed on this quad.

I was going to get that camera from RotorGeeks, but they didn't have a transmitter small enough for what I need. I ended up getting the cased version from GetFPV along with this transmitter http://www.getfpv.com/5-8ghz-200mw-micro-fpv-video-transmitter.html. That's good to know about the camera, I always just imagined they were the same just different brand. I'll have to get a new lens if this one is too much for me to handle. I should have the parts Thursday so hopefully I'll have the build complete by this weekend.

Last edited:

jipp

it is such a clean build.. i do not know if ill ever be able to build such a clean build.. but i guess its good to have the bar set high. :D

chris.

Twitchity

it is such a clean build.. i do not know if ill ever be able to build such a clean build.. but i guess its good to have the bar set high. :D

chris.

Thanks, Chris. It just takes practice and a lot of patience. Including rebuilds of builds, I probably have over 20+ multirotors I've build over the years. This is one of the first builds and it doesn't look anything like the builds I can do today .

IMG_20140702_194942_zpsa79c2ad0.jpg

jipp

yeah twitch that is how i would go about building.. but now i am hard soldering the motors to the ESC.. so i agree with you..
i just need a lot more practice. :) its still good to see what is capable.. so we know where we should be working too..
not saying your way is the only way.. but your techniques are sound.. and if you follow them regardless how it may look.. it will still become a clean build... so yeah that is where the practice comes in.
mu next build is going to be a 230mm martian. so im hoping it will be my cleanest build yet. i hope to start that build next month.. as the frame wont be here till the 28th anyhow. i have only built 4 or 5 quads.. so 20 is a lot of practice.. and i can see how a rebuild would help too. i have not started rebuilds yet. but i do see that happening down the road.

chris.

Last edited:

Twitchity

After I lost my Horizon micro fpv camera I decided to pick up a micro 200mw VTX from GetFPV http://www.getfpv.com/5-8ghz-200mw-micro-fpv-video-transmitter.html. I printed out a bracket and made a little FPV pod and everything was great. I also got their mini FPV camera http://www.getfpv.com/lumenier-smc-600-super-mini-cased-600tvl-wide-angle-camera.html and printed out a bracket for that as well. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures during this process as I was too eager to get out and fly. Well needless to say I hit something, crashed, broke the printed bracket, cut my receiver wires, and almost lost the little ufl antenna.

This wasn't going to work for me, I wanted something more rugged so back to the drawing board. This time I decided to keep it simple, and I also got a ufl to sma adapter cable for my VTX along with a VAS antenna. Some new brackets were made, new 3D parts were printed, and the quad was put back together. This time, with the exception of the camera, there is a 1.5mm CF plate behind all of the printed components to give strength to the FPV pod, the antenna is mounted to a piece of CF now as well instead of being mounted to a 3D printed part. The channel select switches are easily accessible, but that's about the only thing. All of the wires are neatly routed and tucked out of the way to make room for all of the components, and to clear the props. So far I've been really happy with how this version, lets call it V2.3 at this point, has turned out.

This little quad has come a long ways since its birth. The only thing that has remained constant has been the ESCs and the FC. A new frame was created to accommodate the 1306 motors, a new PDB was used to redo the wiring, switched from a Spektrum satellite receiver to FrSky, FPV system was changed, then changed again, then changed once more. If I had 4 ESCs just laying around I could rebuild the original just from spare parts. But I feel confident in saying this is the final version of this little fella, and I'm looking forward to lots of flights with it.

Before:
IMG_0802_zps7d4hcxa1.jpg

After, they grow up so fast:
9F140F22-EC84-493C-B854-CE746471097C_zpsw5ilzjho.jpg

BA2EAFAC-EA81-46D2-B913-0D9EFD62469C_zpsuovw1mad.jpg

A568A587-D5A5-4352-9C6F-1F7B97B98794_zpsqpnozldx.jpg

17C025E6-9F92-4F3E-A4F4-BBF9D6B2C1B9_zpsxbr3coo1.jpg

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Wow looks amazing as always Twitchity. Makes me want to build a micro quad. I guess I'll put it on my long list of future projects. That list is going to get longer before it gets shorter.

jipp

its a challenge sam no doubt, i need to rebuild my 130 insect. im thinking of using the PDB/ESC from getrFPV it sure would make it a snap. dealing with regular esc on such tiny arms and the wire in the dys 10a esc are maybe 3 wires.. so soldering was a royal pain.

its just sitting on my desk waiting for me to decide what to do.. fix what i have there or get rid of my main problem and try the PDB/ESC. the ESC seem to be good from hat they are oneshot, blheli, etc all activated from the start like good little girls and boy esc. heh.

130MM INSECT PARTS.png

here is the pdb i think i will use to replace the 10 dys escs. should clean it up.. which it neds.. such a rats nest right now looking at it.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/in...143003605&mc_cid=4c99192766&mc_eid=ff67018211

4in1.jpg

Last edited:

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Those 10a ESCs do look pretty big compared to the arms on that frame? Maybe you can fit them inside, or you might have to do a direct solder motor wire to ESC. I would enjoy such a wiring challenge, but I can see your pain. The 4-in 1 ESC looks nice, it could help cut weight and really clean up the build. But then you'll have 4 DYS ESCs left over...which must mean....another build! Its a never ending cycle.

mpbiv

Its looking meaner everytime I see it. I like your little micro fpv pod!

I'm looking to do another micro, but I really really want to try the RotorX 1102 8000kv on the new RX2535 quad props and do a super lightweight 2s build.

Twitchity

Snarls, thanks. The micro quads are a blast to fly and even more to build! If you have the patience I would strongly recommend a micro build.

mpbiv, I'm happy with how the FPV pod turned out too, it has a sleek/fast look to it, although this quad is no powerhouse compared to the larger quads. Switching from the Spektrum satellite receiver to a full sized FrSky receiver was my biggest problem when it came to the FPV pod. I couldn't mount the receiver to the Naze anymore as the CF plate that holds the pod would have interfered with the rotors due to height restrictions. Overall though I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. The camera is a nice press fit in the bracket, and the two screws hold the tension just right where I can adjust the camera angle without needing any tools.

I like your idea of the micro with the 1102 8000kv motors. If you want, I have some 1.5mm CF I could use to cut you a frame, the only thing is I would of course have to make one for myself too. Since my current micro is definitely not an indoor flyer anymore, I could use a nice small indoor FPV quad.

Dark, thank you. I really enjoy the building aspect of the hobby and I'm always looking for ways to improve my skills.

And now that the quad is complete... Time to start on my next project.

9B4954E6-B643-40AE-9C17-5D81441D3F94_zpswimpabnn.jpg

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Micro tri! Your building never stops Twitchity.

This past winter I was thinking of building a micro brushed quad like Hovership's 3DFly kit, but for much cheaper. I figured it would only cost me around $50 using a spek sat I already have and 3D printing my own frame. Something to keep the cabin fever away on those short winter days. But now it's spring and it's time to bring the big boys (relatively) out. Project for next winter I guess.