Mighty Mini Bf-109 Swappable - Build Thread

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I need some more flight time with this one to get a good feel for it. As I said, my biggest problem is the amount of length I have - trees at both ends of the runway require a fast descent to the landing strip and not much time to slow for landing. For some reason, this seems to be more of problem with this plane than with the MM or my 60% Spit. It could just be more pilot error.

Probably not error, I think this design just has less drag, at least it feels that way. It cuts through the air at speed longer before slowing down. Maybe you need to add flaps if you build another one. :cool:

You also might try a prop with less pitch. I noticed a big difference on the F pack motor between a 6045 HQ prop and a 6030 prop. The 6030 top speed was much slower, which made the plane more gentle to fly. Of course, I switched back the other prop. I wanted more power. :black_eyed:

97tj-neil

Thanks for the prop advice. I will try that this weekend.

I agree that this plane feels like it has less drag than the other mini warbirds.

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Great plans Localfiend. One of my favorite WWII aircraft. Keep up the good work! Here are some pictures of the progress.

All the parts cut out and beveled.
IMG_0985.JPG

Sub assemblys assembled .
IMG_0986.JPG

Fuselage assembly.
IMG_0987.JPG

It has gone together wonderfully so far. (The only correction i found is that the notch for the front of the hatch needs to be elongated to accommodate the rear front fuselage former. ) Again, great set of plans!

Last edited:

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Cool man, that's looking great. Very clean build.

Waterproof foam eh? Gonna build one of these?

me109w_2.jpg

:cool:

97tj-neil

Sweet. Never tried painting a plane before posterboard install. let me know how that goes.

I was thinking the same - I will be interested in hearing why you chose to go this way, and what the advantages are. I have always painted as the last step. I hose down everything, including the servos and control rods.

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
I was thinking the same - I will be interested in hearing why you chose to go this way, and what the advantages are. I have always painted as the last step. I hose down everything, including the servos and control rods.

I guess my reasoning was that it was a lot easier to sand it down before I finished assembling it. I think the paint job is easier to apply with the individual pieces. I did this similar process with the MM Sportster and it worked well, though it didn't cover the whole aircraft. I wondered at the time how the hot glue would hold, but it has held together just fine. That being said, I did paint the Corsair after assembly, ( and test flight.)

IMG_0793.JPG

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Sweet. Never tried painting a plane before poster board install. let me know how that goes.

Okay, so here goes....... if I were to do it again I would wait till after assembly to paint it . It is harder to get the bends in the poster board without showing wrinkles. Other then that it turned out okay. The printed decals and clear canopy really add to the scale appearance. Here are some more photos.
BF109 2.jpg BF109 4.jpg BF109 3.jpg BF109 5.jpg

I'm using the F pack as the power plant. The build went well with no difficulty in assembly. I could have put the servos a little farther forward in the fuselage to balance it out, but I wanted to be able to get to them if I needed to . The battery will go as far forward as I can get it and that should be just about right for the CG.
It is ready for the test flight once I get the horizontal stabilizer supports painted. :D
I'm going to try and get the motor tucked into the fuselage a little more as well before the maiden.

I will give a report once I am able to do the maiden flight.

Tim

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Wow that looks fantastic. The canopy adds a ton to the scale appearance.

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Well..... I must have done something wrong , but I can't put my finger on it. Here is the video of the two flight attempts.
It was a handful. The second fight I cut the power to keep it from going into the houses across the golf course. I triple checked the CG, both before the first flight after the first flight and before the second attempt. It was right on. I did use the power pod from my mini mustang, but it looked the same as the BF109 one. Maybe someone can see what I'm missing.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Yep, that first flight really looks tail heavy. It's probably right on the edge of acceptability.

Are balancing it upside down using the marks on the plans? For these little planes, I like to use a set of pencils stuck into a block of wood rather than fingers as the range of fly able CG points is so small.

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Yep, that first flight really looks tail heavy. It's probably right on the edge of acceptability.

Are you balancing it upside down using the marks on the plans?

Yes. I indented the CG marks on the top of the wings and used my fingers . I balanced it with a slight nose down attitude. I think I will build another one and put the servos inside the canopy opening, not paint it and see what happens. Might move the CG a little more forward also. I'll let you know what happens.

Tim

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Yes. I indented the CG marks on the top of the wings and used my fingers . I balanced it with a slight nose down attitude. I think I will build another one and put the servos inside the canopy opening, not paint it and see what happens. Might move the CG a little more forward also. I'll let you know what happens.

Tim

Is it not flyable after that last crash? The extra weight really shouldn't be a problem. I've chucked a 1500mah 3s battery into mine for flying in heavier winds without a problem.

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Is it not flyable after that last crash?

Well, The first crash broke a wingtip off ( from the servo ),which I glued back on; and if you watch the second video closely, you can see pieces bouncing off of the pavement cart path on impact. I could glue it all back together, but I think it will have a better chance of flying correctly if I just start out with a new one..... it is only $2 worth of ( water resistant) foam board. :) That's one of the great things about the FT style planes.... I can afford to crash and rebuild. :D

tadiasa

updated plans?

I am brand new to rc aviation, but this definitely gives me something to work towards. I love the look of the Zero that you made and have downloaded the plans (now i just need to find a skin, and one for the Corsair too). Have there been any updates on this one? Most recent set of plans I see say beta v2. Not trying to rush you or anything because I'm sure you have a 9-5 to support your hobby, just wondering is all