Mighty Mini Bf-109 Swappable - Build Thread

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
MM BF-109 second one.

So I finished putting together my second BF-109 this week and was able to maiden it this morning. The only thing I did different was to move the servos for the tail feathers up over the wing. It was a success !! It flew very well , even in some bumpy air. Great job Localfiend!

Tim

Hack73

I printed out the plans but they seem to be slightly off the page. Is this happening for anyone else?

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
So I finished putting together my second BF-109 this week and was able to maiden it this morning. The only thing I did different was to move the servos for the tail feathers up over the wing. It was a success !! It flew very well , even in some bumpy air. Great job Localfiend!

Tim

Sweet man, sorry I didn't see this earlier, been busy and out of town. Glad this second one did much better for you. I think your first one was probably just tail heavy.

How do you guys make that canopy?

The canopy is made from printable overhead transparencies, the design is in the plans. Simply print it out onto the clear plastic, or posterboard, fold, and hot glue.

I printed out the plans but they seem to be slightly off the page. Is this happening for anyone else?

Check your print settings, you probably have something out of wack. Print using Adobe Acrobat, and set the scaling to 100%.

MTL_Greg

Hi LF!

Your work is awesome. I've chased "your" zero (build by my buddy Marc) with my mini corsair, it was amazing!
Can we get Mini 109 plans "not tiled"? Any format... DWG, PDF, whatever is less work...

Many thanks!
Greg

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Hi LF!

Your work is awesome. I've chased "your" zero (build by my buddy Marc) with my mini corsair, it was amazing!
Can we get Mini 109 plans "not tiled"? Any format... DWG, PDF, whatever is less work...

Many thanks!
Greg

Excellent. The Zero's need to die. :cool:

Here's the Full plans:

Mighty Mini Bf 109 Beta v.2 Full

Hopefully I'll be able to get back to this and make a final release for the plans. I'm building a CNC machine, which will make building planes way faster, then maybe I'll actually finish more stuff. :D

updatedtable.png 13918936_212306732504471_1609216254_o.jpg 13932115_212306722504472_103357085_o.jpg

Getting a table built for the CNC now. Parts for the actual machine build will be here Thursday.

MTL_Greg

Thanks!

Awesome! THANKS for the plans LF!

BTW... to all mini warbird builders :
I've had poor results with HXT500 servos... (Popular 5g servos from hobby king)
The HXT500's were OK for forgiving planes like the FT Mini Scout or the FT Old fogey, but in a fast mini warbird I find them too jerky and their centering seems uneven. I just can't tune my FT Mini Corsair like I'd like it to fly.
I recommend you spend a bit more and get 5g digital servos like the Emax ES9051 for your 25" warbirds. Both the FT store and Banggood sell them in multi-packs.

Please share your good/bad experiences with 5g servos!
[g]

EDIT: However I only have good things to say about HXT900's! (9g analog servos from HK)

Last edited:

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
No problem.

I also like digital servos in the little guys, though I'm also partial to 3.7 gram servos. They do the job, and are a good deal lighter, especially when you start weighing the wiring as well. You can add a lot of weight to one of these little planes with heavy servo extensions or Y connectors.

DarkFire

AWESOME work localfiend!!
Would this plane work with the A power pack, or does it require the increased power of the F pack? Got an A packs lying around that needs to be used:p

Thanks,
Dark

97tj-neil

AWESOME work localfiend!!
Would this plane work with the A power pack, or does it require the increased power of the F pack? Got an A packs lying around that needs to be used:p

Thanks,
Dark

I bult one with a HK Park 250 (probably not quite an A-pack) and i flew really well. Localfiend did a great job with this one - you will be fine.

DarkFire

You guys all have such nice flying fields:( All i have is an undersized soccer field and an even smaller field with trees all around it

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
You guys all have such nice flying fields:( All i have is an undersized soccer field and an even smaller field with trees all around it

Just size the plane to the field. It's amazing how much fun you can have with something like a nut ball in a small tree filled space.

DarkFire

Am I the only one who finds some parts of the plans slightly confusing? I'm stuck scratching my head over these things:
The tiny slanted piece and the 5 small squares on page 4 and the entire page 8 View attachment processed_file_2016-09-03-23-51-02.zip

note: I'm not super great with computers, so I didn't know if there was any better way to post the pix of the plans

Attachments

• Mighty Mini Bf 109 Beta v.2 Tiled (5).pdf
    976.9 KB · Views: 12

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Am I the only one who finds some parts of the plans slightly confusing? I'm stuck scratching my head over these things:
The tiny slanted piece and the 5 small squares on page 4 and the entire page 8 View attachment 74095

note: I'm not super great with computers, so I didn't know if there was any better way to post the pix of the plans

Yeah, they're still beta plans. I need to clean them up, and label everything for a full release. The little skinny slanted piece is an antenna if you want to use it. Look at pics on the first page of a real 109.

The squares are simply internal fuse reinforcement pieces, which are optional. Page 8 stuff is all posterboard. Part for the bottom tail section if you want it covered, and the other look like hatch pieces. If you look through the thread you should be able to see where they go. Haven't had time to build another and do build log after I lost the pictures for this one.

DarkFire

Ok cool, thanks for the quick response. A build log would be very useful when you get around to it.

Thanks,
Dark

DarkFire

Got mine running, but not flying

I finally finished mine!!:D Everything was working and with nice calm weather, I maidened it, or at least tried. The first flight my brother's finger caught the elevator as he threw it and the plane was tail heavy. both those ended in a 3 second flight. Next flight, the prop broke when the plane was nose heavy and crashed, but I also noticed it kind of skidding to one side, like the V stab was too small, leading to almost no directional stability. The third and final "flight" ended when upon launch, the plane skidded into a sort of flat turn. My inputs had no effect on the turn-skid and it dove into the ground. I was using an 800 milliamp 2 cell battery with the A pack, and it seemed underpowered, so I'm going to try ordering a 1300 milliamp 3 cell. Yay or nay on the battery?:confused:

What could be causing it? I immediately thought of the V stab not being big enough, but other people have flown the same plane with no problems, so I don't know.

Also, the props, which came with the A pack, broke and fatigued really really easily. Far easier than any prop I've used before. Is there a problem with flite test's 6 inch props?

Thanks,
Dark

97tj-neil

I have found the best battery for all of the mini swappables on A-pack to be a 450 mAh 3S. When I move up to F pack, I usually go to a slightly larger 3S, maybe an 800 mAh. I think a 1300 will be too heavy for such a small plane.