Mighty Mini Electronics???

FL_Engineer

Elite member
I'm venturing into the world of mighty mini's and I am curious what most people run for an ESC and battery combo and connectors (xt30 /JST). I know the FT 20A esc and tattu 850mah may be the common setup just curious if I'm missing a cheaper ESC option. I know I can go to a 30A ESC and get the cheap Chinese ones to save money, just not sure if that's wasted space in the airframe. Also curious if most people use the FT 5g servos or if there is another source for 5g servos (they seem hard to come by and expensive). RMRC seems to have the best price at under $4 each for the sub micro servos.

Last edited:

whackflyer

Master member
I'm venturing into the world of mighty mini's and I am curious what most people run for an ESC and battery combo and connectors (xt30 /JST). I know the FT 20A esc and tattu 850mah may be the common setup just curious if I'm missing a cheaper ESC option. I know I can go to the larger ESC and get the cheap Chinese ones to save money, just not sure if that's wasted space in the airframe. Also curious if most people use the FT 5g servos or if there is another source for 5g servos (they seem hard to come by and expensive). RMRC seems to have the best price at under $4 each for the sub micro servos.
I use the Tattu 850 3s batteries like many others also do. As far as the ESC goes, I have used the Hobbywing FlyFun ones with success. Suppo also makes good escs. I get them from altitude hobbies. I usually use 9g servos as I've had some 5g ones but they haven't been reliable. 9gs are cheaper as well. I find it's not really a weight problem as much as getting them to fit, but it usually works out with a little modding. If you want to go with 5gs tho Value Hobbies has cheap ones.

USCATX

I like this plane size with an 1806 on 2S or scaled up 15% on 3S and a 2204 motor. XT30 is easier to fit because it’s so short as well. For servos I have three sets of Emax 9051 which are about the cheapest digitals from a semi-legit company at $4.50. They have way more torque than is strictly necessary so I bought a set of 2.5g 9251s for my next small build. Emax has $7 shipping and lots of small parts. Maybe buy a couple servo sets, a little 1806 and a tiny ESC. I bought a bullet 12a from them for $8 to mess around with and it’s ridiculously tiny.

https://emax-usa.com/emx-sv-0272-es9051.html

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I usually use a 30 amp chinese ESC, 9g servos, and whatever battery I have on hand. I finally got some 500 mah 3s packs that I now use, but before that I used 1000 mah 3s and 1500 2s packs.

CustomRCMods

Elite member
I consistently use ZTW Beatles ESCs, and SunnySky Motor Setups on my minis. that combo is very smooth and reliable, but also usually is under 20 bucks. Like @The Hangar I use basic Miuzei Amazon 9g SG90 servos, work great and are unbeatable for the price. If you are looking for 4.5g options, Turnigy has a good lineup for a decent pricepoint, but still almost 4x as much as one of the sg90s so I squeeze those in wherever I can.

For batteries, I usually can find good offerings for 5-8$ on hobbyking for 850mah 2s/3s packs. Im running the Nano Tech 50c packs in both cell counts. I also have found a lot of the minis can support all the way up to a 1300mah pack (mini arrow, vector, and sparrow especially), so I use Tattu 1300mah 45c with those. For consistency on my charger and with my other ESCs, I run XT60s all around, even all the way down to my 3s 450 pack for the gremlin.

Bricks

Master member
For me when sellecting electronics part of it comes down to how I want the plane to fly, do I want something that will fly well at slow speeds or something that flies faster thru out the flight envelope. Most anything will fly with enough speed when heavy with in reason, but am I going to enjoy it, that is a question you have to ask your self. Me I am a firm beleiver in keeping things as light as possible which opens up my flight envelope from fast to slow with good flying characteristics at either ends of the spectrum.

Starting light then I can change the flight characteristics as I choose, a high wind day I may want a little more weight so I can throw in a bigger battery, but I cannot go backwards and make a heavy plane lighter for the calm days.

FL_Engineer

Elite member
This all great advice, and good to hear different perspectives. I'm waiting for my Mini Mustang kit and FT 2206 to arrive so I can start applying it. I need to up my soldering game so I can standardize my connectors.

Last edited:

FL_Engineer

Elite member
So I ended up putting an 1806 in the Mini Mustang (now repurposed to a tiny trainer) and used the 2206 in a Mini FT F22. The F22 flew great for 20 seconds before I managed to nose it straight into the ground. It could probably be rebuilt but I'm board with it and ready for something else. So, I have a 2206 2500kv with a 20a ESC that needs a home any suggestions? I just wrapped up a TT and have @The Hangar's cut out on the bench. I was sort of thinking 75% goblin or arrow as that's a realm I haven't ventured into yet but I also want to be realistic and stay within my skill level.