Mini Corsair elevator issue

strawman

I'm trying to figure out if this is user error or just bad design. I assembled my Mini Corsair from the official kit. The center section of the elevator tore and I have not been able to repair it. It seems that as soon as this 1/4" thin strip of foamboard gets twisted or torn, the elevator gets bent out of shape and does not perform the same from side to side. Basically, the left side of the elevator does not move up or down to the same degree as the right side (the side with the control horn)

Its looking like the plane will not be very flyable until I disassemble it and install a new tail section, but will this happen every time that tiny strip of foam gets bent or torn? What can I do to reinforce that thin 'bridging' section of the elevator to prevent this from happening in the future?

Is this a fundamental flaw in the design? Or am I not being delicate enough with the plane (crashing it)? Are my expectations of durability too lofty?

I can post pics if needed, but it's hard to see since the plane is painted black.

I can't take a picture until I get home. - Somebody else probably will though.
What I like to do is "let in" a BBQ skewer into the angled part of your cut, the 45-degree part. I cut a skewer to around 3" or 3-1/2" or so, then split it from end to end to give a bit of flat to it. I split it at about 1/3-2/3 and use the thicker part of what's left. Within your bevel cut on the elevators, use your hobby blade to create a groove or notch to receive the skewer. Makes it solid. No troubles.

People like to glue in a popsicle stick or similar to achieve the same purpose.

Flyingshark

Master member
I can't take a picture until I get home. - Somebody else probably will though.
What I like to do is "let in" a BBQ skewer into the angled part of your cut, the 45-degree part. I cut a skewer to around 3" or 3-1/2" or so, then split it from end to end to give a bit of flat to it. I split it at about 1/3-2/3 and use the thicker part of what's left. Within your bevel cut on the elevators, use your hobby blade to create a groove or notch to receive the skewer. Makes it solid. No troubles.

People like to glue in a popsicle stick or similar to achieve the same purpose.
You can also reinforce the area with some control rod wire bent in a U-shape. But a popsicle stick probably works better because it distributes force into the foam a lot better.

All three ways are good.
I promised pics -

IMG_1003.JPG IMG_1006.JPG ralphwiggum.jpg

skymaster

Elite member
I got one question?? are planing on using the rudder. i have made quite a few scratch build's with rudder and i do not remember ever using thee rudder. i made the mini corsair once and i did not get it to fly, maybe because i think i use the f pack and it was a little too much for the little feller. so my suggestion to u is to use the a pack A. my mini mustang fly's awesome with it. back to the rudder y not make the elevator even instead of making that little strip. holy cow just got i light bulb well an idea i will build the tale the way that's in my head will post when done. if you are not going to use the rudder them don't wast aservo make a fixed rudder.