Mini Macchi m.5

DinosEatPeople1

Elite member
115BCF5D-BA7E-408F-A4DE-6F3F6DE3BF33.jpeg I am a huge fan of the Macchi M.5 it is a beautiful plane and I love it so much so I decided to make a mini m.5.
115BCF5D-BA7E-408F-A4DE-6F3F6DE3BF33.jpeg
This is the plane I am trying to make. I found some perfect balsa plans for it so yesterday I tried to do a one day build to make one. Here is the link. I started with cutting out the side prices and the formers and slapped them together. I then cut out the vertical and horizontal stabilizers and glued them together. I cut out the wings and cut out some triangles at rough 20 degree angle to use as camber gauges for the wing. And then I attached the lower wings on and that was my day well spent. I will continue to work on it but I have online school to deal with.
97B7B2F0-8BB2-4774-B775-3A6AF6937D6F.jpeg
8C983F8F-0435-4D14-97C4-751518682984.jpeg
398BBF1A-47B6-421D-8302-7CC8FD5C7A03.jpeg
EDF3A1F7-C82E-45AC-8BF6-2DC3CC8B9EDB.jpeg

DinosEatPeople1

Elite member
I have finished this tiny model! With the plans from AeroFred I shrunk it down by 50% but I think I should have done larger. The room inside it can barely fit a 850 mAh 3s in the nose and it wouldn’t fit 2 servos a receiver and an ESC in the fuselage. The Prop clearance was bad if I wanted it to be scale. But otherwise I love this little thing! I think 60% or more could make the space inside much bigger and make the wings larger. It would be floatier but that is a good thing with this plane. The struts could be thicker on it but I still love it. I think it is too small for any RC flying but I may glide test it later. If any one wants more pictures of this I will oblige just tell me what view you want. I think I may try an a5m soon but we will see.
35A00C7C-B062-4CDA-8F98-844FE467EBB9.jpeg

This is it fully completed.

DinosEatPeople1

Elite member
I will link the AeroFred https://aerofred.com/search.php?search_keywords=Macchi M-5 plans here but I won’t make plans for it. I would shrink it down, for an A pack, about 60%. I used pins to outline the shape of the part I am making and then play connect the dots. Otherwise it is built like a balsa plane but with foam. Account for the width of the foam with the formers. Some curves are impossible to make without taking off the paper on the outside of the plane.
image.jpg
Use a mini scout camber gauge for the wing or make your own. I found a 20 degree angle enough. Make the struts thicker and for a hatch there are a few formers that go on top of formers 2-4 and use those to make a poster board hatch. If you are to make an rc plane I would love to see how you do the linkages for the elevator. It is small enough a plane that the servos should be as close to the cg as possible. The actual plans have an awesome way with a strong thread to do it but it is not necessary. I didn’t make pontoons on it but the plans have it and make a good engine nacelle that looks like the real one. Otherwise I don’t think I have many other instructions I could give. And there is my string of words on how to make this.