Mini quad

aussieflyer

Hey guys im getting a mini quad and I have an idea of what to get, im getting it for learning how to fly quads, i had advice to get an nano QX but I was thinking are there any other options for cheap, durable and good to learn on. Any suggestions would be great

Thanks and merry christmas and a happy new year!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
First off, I'd say the NanoQX is better to learn off of for a reason -- Acro flight mode. It's one of the VERY few micro quads that can be flown with the self level turned completely off, but still can switch back into the more stable modes at the press of a button. This single ability makes it better than most others because you can take your learning one step further in preparation for a larger quad.

That being said, it's useful, but not critical.

I've been very pleased with my Hubsan x4 in past -- very stable, can be very responsive, and durable. If you go this route, do at least get the lighted version -- it makes a difference.

I would avoid the Estes protoX/Hubsan Q4 (same thing) or the Cheerson X10 quads -- they're lots of fun, but twitchy fast, come with a cripplingly small transmitter and are so small they're hard to maintain orientation with. Neat toys, but horrid to learn off of. Do yourself a favor and pick something slightly bigger with a slightly better radio to learn on . . . then pick one up later, then those guys are fun to play with ;)

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
Nano Qx is certainly great. If you are looking for a less expensive choice, the husban x4 and most anything made by syma. Indoor ones like the x11 or small outdoor like the x1.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
If you are from Australia as your username indicates then a small Warp Quad / Armattan / FreebirdRC Raven might be a good start for you since EVERY Australian I have ever seen fly seems to have lightning fast reflexes. If this is you also then you will outgrow those "toys" mentioned in about 1 day or less! ;)

Thurmond