MM Tiny Trainer Question

rsheinrich

Good afternoon all!

I've just recently got into the RC aircraft hobby and I love it. I picked up a Sport Cub S, and have really enjoyed it, it's a fantastic plane to learn on, and the SAFE tech is simply amazing. I also picked up a Dx6i to go along with it, to grow with me in the hobby.

What I'm looking to do is pick up a MM TT, and get the power pack to go with it for my daughter. From what I've read and understand I'll need to pick up a radio (remote) and receiver for the plane.

I'd also like to pick up a second MM TT, to use as a replacement for some rough moments with my Sport Cub. What I'm wondering is can I use the "guts" from my Sport cub in the MM TT? Or would I be better off getting the power pack for this craft as well, and just use the receiver from my cub. The reason I ask, is two fold. If I were to use the electronics, it would basically make the MM TT safe enabled, which would be kinda cool! And the second is a simple cost savings.

Any input would be great.

Also, thanks to the Flite Test crew for a wonderful site, and video's! Great community!!!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
The Sport Cub S guts are probably too weak for the tiny trainer -- that's a VERY light plane with gear to match. The tiny trainer isn't very big, but it is much heavier and needs more power. If it had been one of Horizon's 2S brushless airframes, you'd have a good chance but the sport cub's 1S 150mAh battery running a brushed motor just won't be enough.

Picking up the power pack with the kit should get you a good experience, but keep in mind you'll have to pick up a receiver too. Look into LemonRX receivers -- they'll bind to the DX6i and they're fairly reliable at a good price.

BTW, if you pick up the speed build kits, drop by a Dollar Tree and pick up some foamboard too. trace the pieces out and cut the planes out of the DTFB, keeping the kit as a template. you will crash, and it's a pretty durable plane, but having a template to punch out replacement parts with is a CHEAP way to repair/replace the airframe.

rsheinrich

Thanks Craftydan, I thought that might be the case with the electronics. I still could use the receiver from the sport cub though, correct? Also, do you happen to know what component in the Sport Cub houses the SAFE tech? And could that be switched over all well?

Great idea about the foamboard!! Though, and forgive my ignorance, where would the paper come in that the speed kits have?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
the receiver in the Sport cub is what's commonly refered to as a "Brick" -- everything is included. The ESC, RX and two sevos (including the SAFE stuff) are all tied into one board. It saves a LOT of weight and space, but it removes the modularity. effectively the gear in this plane will all work together in the brick . . . but you can't easily swap out for better parts.

I hate to say it, you'll need to start fresh with everything in the TT, even the battery and charger -- at least the transmitter will still work.

And . . . Paper? Not sure what you mean. The paper covering the foamboard? DTFB comes with it as loosely attached as the FT SBK's. It's EXACTLY the same material, just not laser cut. Some of the kits come with posterboard turtle decks, but not the tiny trainer. I you need some, you can pick up the sheets of posterboard from Dollartree, right next to the foamboard.

rsheinrich

Hadn't opened the Cub up to look at it, that would be good/bad at the same time. Thanks for explaining it!

I don't mind getting all new parts, was just hoping to find a home that was more cost effective for the electronics on the sport cub, $85 or so for everything for the cub parts (body, wings, tail) is so close the the $100 BNF model, seems silly (to me) to not just buy the BNF and be done with it.

I've never worked with the foamboard, but I've watched some of the videos on builds, and there appears to be paper. But it sounds like its all there, so I should be fine.

I'll look into the LemonRX receivers, where do you normally purchase them from?

And thanks, this has been extremely helpful and enlightening.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Yup. it's all there. the paper is lightly melted to the foam, so it make for an interesting material. Prior to the FT builds, most builders stripped the paper off (a little humidity and it almost falls off) but the paper adds quite a bit of stiffness if you leave it on.

Usually I buy them from the OEM. They're in china so you end up waiting on a slowboat, but they're dirt cheap and good RX's.

As far as a home for your electronics, if the cub is still in one piece, it still has a pretty snazzy home . . . if it's not, then save 'em. There are a handful of smaller "indoor" airframes that can make use of it, but I'd recommend cutting your teeth building a tiny trainer first.