Help! Single EDF plane?

NicCf1

Hiya guys. I recently got a 3d printer (Bambu A1 mini which is the very best printer you can buy) and put it to good use by printing an adapter to convert my brushless motor to an edf. Does anyone have plans for a Single edf foamboard plane? Anything would be greatly appreciated. I believe it's a 70 mm.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
How about the Viggen? Free plans, plus there's a bunch of threads here in the forums dedicated to it.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
You'd need to talk with someone a little more knowledgeable about edf sizes, although it would seem big enough.

Foamforce

Look up “BDF”. That’s apparently what the home made EDFs are called on this forum. They apparently have a lot less power than a similarly sized EDF, but are more efficient.

quorneng

Master member
NicCF1
1400kV is not a description of power but only how many rpm it spins for each volt applied.
We need the details of the motor and ideally the maximum amps it can draw.
1400kV is pretty low. On a 3s (say 12V) it would be turning at 16.800 rpm with no load and more like 14,000 rpm under load.. That would do nicely for a 7x6 prop.
Note a 70mm fan is only 2.75" in diameter so it has to rotate much faster to get any meaningful thrust.
Even a basic 70mm EDF will use a 3400kV motor on 3s. It will use a pretty big one like 2842and and will draw 35A.

If you are going to use a low power EDF the airframe has to very light to make up for it. Foam board is light but is not the lightest foam,