Mobius Stick for Blunt Nose Versa

SteevyT

So I wanted a simple to mount method for attaching my Mobius to the Blunt Nose Wing. I decided to go cheap and not permanently mounted, I sometimes want to fly just a clean wing, but the aerial views are so cool I wanted to be able to take some of my own. So I started by cutting a strip of foam about two popsicle sticks wide from the end of a sheet of foam board. Then I sliced 5 little squares off the end. Then I cut two segments, about an inch shorter than two popsicle sticks from the board and glued them together.

Starting one end, I took two popsicle sticks and glued them to one side of the foam beside each other. Then I took another two popsicle sticks and glued them to the sides of the foam, covering up the seams with the ends lined up at the opposite end of the foam (there should be about an inch of overlap of the popsicle sticks in the middle). Next I took the little squares of foam and glued 4 of them together (should have one left over after doing this). The stack of 4 goes at the very end of the stick, on the opposite side of the popsicle sticks that are glued to the paper. The single square should go approximately where the two sets of popsicle sticks overlap.

For the little wedge that provides some extra downward angle (or you can just stick a fifth little square on the stack of 4) take two pieces of foam a little longer than a Mobius camera and cut one in half. Peel the paper off of one side of the uncut piece and the cut piece. Line the ends up and glue them foam side to foam side (Should make a nice little step) sand this into a wedge shape.

Cut a popsicle stick (or it might take two) to the same length as the sanded side of the wedge and glue them to it. Then cover the entire wedge in a nice layer of hot glue. Here is what the wedge will look like.

Qtp4yzn.jpg

hlJf4LD.jpg

AS08Kxo.jpg

Add pieces of popsicle stick/foam to prevent parts from sliding forward and backwards as desired (I did some, but I'm not sure how necessary they are). Also, coat the entire stick in hot glue to give it a slightly grippy surface, don't want this sliding when it is mounted to the plane, or the Mobius rubber banded to it. This is what my stick looked like when finished.

ZHApFym.jpg

EydIbn0.jpg

KMSbX4j.jpg

And the stick with the wedge in place.

A2IOqZx.jpg

ePsUFNS.jpg

(The rubber bands that hold the camera down also hold the wedge in place)

Finally, take a velcro strap, and run it under the velcro strap that holds the battery door shut. Put the stick on (short square in front of the strap, tall leg behind) and test fit the strap, cut to length.

urJkvF6.jpg

cJEfTfp.jpg

Make sure to press the stick into the wing a bit as you snug up and secure the velcro strap to prevent it from moving around in flight.

anDelF8.jpg

To mount the Mobius, get some rubber bands, and rubber band it to the front of the stick (I found that two rubber bands let me pick the entire plane up by the camera). Start the camera and you should be good to go. Sorry, I don't have a picture with the Mobius attached right now.

Last edited:

MT Alex

That's a good idea. I just whacked a hole in my blunt nose section, but it would have been nice to retain an unmarred fuselage.