Motor/Battery compatibility

Paul the Pilot

Hey everyone,
I am new to the RC world and I am trying to understand the electronics.
I am currently scratch building the "Baby Blender" and I am buying electronics to power it. I already have some basic cheep electronics a friend gave me and I am getting some more to make flying more practical. I have a Grayson Hobby Micro Jet V3 brushless motor and a 20 amp esc. I went to a local hobby shop and purchased a Park Zone 11.1V, 1300Ah, 3 cell li-po battery. Later I looked up the specs for my motor and discovered that it requires a 20C continuous discharge and my battery only gives 15C continuious with 20C burst. I was wondering if there was a way I could make this battery work with my motor or if I should return it for a battery with a 20C continuous discharge.

If anyone has good suggestions I would be very thankful.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
First of all, to answer your question, I wouldn't risk using that battery with that motor. Since the manufacturer doesn't recommend doing so.

I'm assuming this is the motor you are talking about: http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/ghmicrojetv3brushlessoutrunnermotor-p-425.html

A 2200kv motor with a 3 cell battery and a recommended prop size of 6x4 is rather fast for a beginner. At least I'm assuming you're a beginner.

You may be better off buying a different motor if you can. It's a nice thought to make do with what you have, but sometimes it costs more in the long run to try and make a freebie work. Especially since the wrong motor makes a plane hard to fly and impossible to not crash.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
That motor is fine for a beginner IF you use a 2S battery to "slow" it down. That is what I did in the early days of my RC habit.

Thurmond

rcspaceflight

Actually, I too started with a 2200kv motor. But it caused me more headaches than if I had started with a lower KV motor and a better prop set up.

jfly77

Whats up everyone! I just bought my first speed build kit f22 raptor first of the simple series. New to flite test products and builds, anyone rec. motor? Watched the youtube build and it looks like he put on a hextronik 24g 1300k. Is this good and where is a good site to buy?

rcspaceflight

Whats up everyone! I just bought my first speed build kit f22 raptor first of the simple series. New to flite test products and builds, anyone rec. motor? Watched the youtube build and it looks like he put on a hextronik 24g 1300k. Is this good and where is a good site to buy?

Hobby King www.hobbyking.com is a website that a lot of people use because it's the cheapest. I have to warn you about Hobby King though, a lot of people complain about their customer service department. I've never had an issue with Hobby King, a lot of people haven't, but if you do have a problem, they may not fix it. And also, if you order from the Global Warehouse, it's shipped from China which is expensive, takes a long time, and since it'll be Chinese New Year in a week, everybody is going to have that week off and their orders will get backed up. However, I see you live in California so you can order from Hobby King's USA Warehouse which has reasonably priced shipping, and fast shipping.

The USA Warehouse of Hobby King doesn't have the same selection as the Global Warehouse, but the USA warehouse has everything you need. I suggest looking there for parts. Just make sure you switch from the Global Warehouse to the USA warehouse before looking around.

The Hextronik 24gram 1300KV motor is good. Any 1100-1300KV motor that can handle an 8x4 prop will work. With electric motors you can go with smaller props than recommended for a motor, but never bigger. Look at what the specs of the motor is and what others have said in the comments on the motor's page.