Motor Squealing out- Problem with motor or ESC?

Julez

WOT and going nowhere
I have a UMX carbon cub from Eflite. Recently I received a replacement board as the old one had short circuited.

The stock motor that I had from the start had endured many prop strikes on landing, over the course of six- seven months, so I wasn't entirely surprised that it squeaked out and then stopped working entirely when I plugged it into the new board, thinking that it was just the result of the motor wearing down. (The motor used in the cub is a brushless outrunner, stock 2500kv)

However, I soon after ordered an upgraded motor- 3000kv instead of the 2500, hoping for a little bit of performance improvement for around the same price. However, the motor I ordered arrived broken, so Horizon sent me a replacement. I plugged that motor in to find that it, like the stock motor, squealed at the slightest amount of throttle. Afraid of burning out the brand new motor, I stopped using it, but my question is-

Is it the motor that's faulty, or the speed controller? (ESC is built into the board for most Horizon micros/smaller scale planes, so I can't simply go out and buy a new ESC)

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
If it actually squealing (the motor) then usually it is one of a couple things, either the esc's timing is off, or one of the connections to the motor. Other times one of the motor's internals is loose/broken. It may simply be the motor itself, but that seems unlikely. I would check all connections to the motor and esc. If you can't solve the problem either swap out the board or the motor, I hope it doesn't come to that, but it'll let you know what's going on with it.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Probably a timing issue. Most often able to be resolved by changing the esc timing setting to high.
Oops, sorry, just reread your post. Don't know if there is an option to change the settings, likely the speed controller on the onboard card is broken... Horizon's service center may be able to help troubleshoot the issue.