Motors not spinning at same speed when using the transmitter

ThomasC.

My newly build Quadcopter is as good as finished. I have a problem, that when I power up the motors via the transmitter (FS-I6), not all of them spin at the same speed. After a few seconds the slowest one stops spinning. If I power the motors up in Betaflight, all are spinning the same speed. I have tried about everything I could. Another problem is, that when I want to calibrate the 4 in 1 esc, I can only do it in Betaflight. When I try it with the transmitter, it starts up as usual, I turn down the throttle and nothing happens. Help would be much appreciated!

Bifi.baarlo

I think that is all normal, you must calibrate the esc's in Betaflight, did you calibrate the accelerometer? If when the quad is armed and you lift one side, are the motors on the other side spinning faster? Than I should try the quad on an open field, it should work properly.

I think that is all normal, you must calibrate the esc's in Betaflight, did you calibrate the accelerometer? If when the quad is armed and you lift one side, are the motors on the other side spinning faster? Than I should try the quad on an open field, it should work properly.
Yeah, you have to calibrate all your motors and make sure your transmitter has the right settings as well. also check your ESC connections sometimes I have a problem with that. I think it is the connections but check them over.

ThomasC.

I already callibrated the accelerometer. The proplem is that I can not callibrate my ESC through the transmitter. I already callibrated the ESC a couple times through Betaflight but the problem won't go away

ThomasC.

Yeah, you have to calibrate all your motors and make sure your transmitter has the right settings as well. also check your ESC connections sometimes I have a problem with that. I think it is the connections but check them over.
What do you mean when you say the transmitter has to have the right settings? I don't think that the connections with the ESC are the problem because when I power ON the motors in Betaflight all go at the same speed as if there was no problem,

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
when your flying with a flight controller like that, you should only need to calabrate the ESC via betaflight, not via the TX. The TX is sending signals to the flight controller and the flight controller is managing the motors.

When this is happening, do you have your quad armed?
what happens if you throttle up?
is your TX properly centered and the betaflight config also shows the signal centered when the TX is centered?
what flight mode are you in? (angle or rate)

your flight controller could be responding to being slightly out of level (your I term could eventually cut one of the motors out if it can't correct itself at the low speeds the props are spinning) or you could have a small amount of trim issue in your TX so that 'centered' isn't centered causing it to tell the FC to pitch/yah/etc and causing the same problem as being out of level.

when your flying with a flight controller like that, you should only need to calabrate the ESC via betaflight, not via the TX. The TX is sending signals to the flight controller and the flight controller is managing the motors.

is your TX properly centered and the betaflight config also shows the signal centered when the TX is centered?

your flight controller could be responding to being slightly out of level (your I term could eventually cut one of the motors out if it can't correct itself at the low speeds the props are spinning) or you could have a small amount of trim issue in your TX so that 'centered' isn't centered causing it to tell the FC to pitch/yah/etc and causing the same problem as being out of level.
Yeah, I agree

ThomasC.

Yes, I have my Quad armed when this is happening. When I throttle up, all motors start spinning (usually one at a slower speed than the others), then after 2 seconds the slower motor stops rotating. Even as I increase the throttle, the slower motor does not start spinning. In the receiver tab Roll, Pitch and Yaw are defaulted at about 1500 and the throttle is at 1000. So I think my TX is properly centered in Betaflight config. I did not put the drone in a specific flight mode, so I'm not sure what flight mode I am in. Before, I also tried to trim the TX but it was impossible not to have at least one (or two) motor spinning slower than the others.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
On the bench, motors won't act the way they do in the air. Don't worry about how fast your motors spin on the bench. In the air, there is no bench forcing an immovable, un-level situation.

One question matters. One.

Do all your motors START at the same time?

If they do, go out and fly.

If they don't, you need to calibrate your ESCs to the transmitter throttle through Betaflight.

Once they start it is common and normal for one or more motors to spin faster than the others. The copter is trying, unsuccessfully, to level your entire workbench. :)

EDIT: It is common for newbies to try to gently lift the copter off the ground with a slow throttle increase. This is a mistake particularly if you have an autoleveller on like horizon mode. The motors will all be spinning at different rates due to slight variances from level in your launch platform. It is best to "pop" your copter into the air about a meter off the ground and then fly. This way your copter won't drift during takeoff and your copter won't wobble due to "dirty" air reflecting off the ground and back up into your rotors.

Last edited:

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I did not put the drone in a specific flight mode, so I'm not sure what flight mode I am in.
your probably in some sort of angle mode. What modes you have available needs to be setup on one or more channels connected to switches on your TX. If your in an angle mode, exactly what cranialrectosis is saying... you need to 'pop' quickly up into the air.

ThomasC.

On the bench, motors won't act the way they do in the air. Don't worry about how fast your motors spin on the bench. In the air, there is no bench forcing an immovable, un-level situation.

One question matters. One.

Do all your motors START at the same time?

If they do, go out and fly.

If they don't, you need to calibrate your ESCs to the transmitter throttle through Betaflight.

Once they start it is common and normal for one or more motors to spin faster than the others. The copter is trying, unsuccessfully, to level your entire workbench. :)

EDIT: It is common for newbies to try to gently lift the copter off the ground with a slow throttle increase. This is a mistake particularly if you have an autoleveller on like horizon mode. The motors will all be spinning at different rates due to slight variances from level in your launch platform. It is best to "pop" your copter into the air about a meter off the ground and then fly. This way your copter won't drift during takeoff and your copter won't wobble due to "dirty" air reflecting off the ground and back up into your rotors.
Ok, will try it out. Thanks for the advice