Multiwii aero copter madness!

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Today I finally broke down and flashed my damaged flip 1.5 with fixed wing firmware, for those of you who don't know it was in a serious crash and the Yaw stopped working a week later.

I installed it in my favorite Cessna 180 (I have 2 and 1/2!) and tuned it. I just guessed at the PIDs until the servos smoothed out. I'll post what they were soon.

I took it out to the field and took off, and immediately noticed that it was out of trim due to gyro corrections. After I retrimmed it, I went up to altitude and began cruising around. It seemed a lot bigger than a 30 oz 48" WS plane, but the gyros were over correcting just slightly. Next it was aerobatics time. I did loops, rolls, and spins at first, and although rolls were slower, the stabilizer seemed to help me in inverted positions. Then I tried a knife edge. Previously this plane had nasty coupling in pitch and roll, but now I suddenly had a hands off KE! I flew around 1000' before it fell out, but I just had to do it again.:p

After the success of the KE, I tried a hammerhead (which was impossible before the gyros) it tracked perfectly through.

Suddenly I got this crazy idea, I rolled it inverted and let go of the sticks...and it just stayed there!
I flew 5 min of the pack inverted, only rolling out 6' off the deck to land.

All in all, a smashing success! Now I just need to get auto level working.:rolleyes:

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Fixed wing stabilization is sweet. Been using it over a year with original KK & OpenAero.

Thurmond