My EVA Sport Fortunate Misfortune

JetDr330

I had joined the fall Mountain Models Eva build, received kit and started building it this January. Having owned 5 planes during the duration of 3 active flying seasons and only one of them an ARF I consider myself an early stage intermediate kit builder, I just back into the hobby after 15 years of “Life happens” completing a Herr Cloud Ranger and starting the EVA build. All my previous builds I was using CA that was readily available from my employer, now to only find out it was a medium viscosity. I followed the MM recommendation of using thin CA for the build. Building the fuselage with the thin CA, I experienced that it has a viscosity thinner than gasoline out of the bottle and adheres like right now. To my dismay I built in a nasty twist nose to tail on the fuselage. I tried dis-bonding the joints only to make things worse breaking bulkheads and destroying the fuselage sides. I decided to end the airworthy build and concentrate finishing the kit as a static model for my Brother’s man-room, who is a HUGE University of Michigan fan. I figured all was not lost, a little more build and covering time to build on my skills, and I really enjoy the building process. I used covering I had laying around and a motor with a bent shaft, so no big loss except for the kit itself. But the fortunate side of this misfortune was having the plane at work finishing up some loose ends today, a contractor came by and saw it in our office and wants one University of Miami themed, initial down payment covers my original kit, his kit I need to order , supplies plus some extra. Looks like I’ll get some more build and covering time under my belt and make a little money for something I really enjoy. IMG_0780.JPG IMG_0769.JPG IMG_0773.JPG IMG_0777.JPG

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
That's an excellent looking plane! Very nice job! :applause:

Now please start sharing tips and links on your trim and covering techniques - it's gorgeous. I'm in the middle of a covering job myself and would love to have it come out as nice as yours.

And some in process build photo's on the next one would be most appreciated too!

JetDr330

That's an excellent looking plane! Very nice job! :applause:

Now please start sharing tips and links on your trim and covering techniques - it's gorgeous. I'm in the middle of a covering job myself and would love to have it come out as nice as yours.

And some in process build photo's on the next one would be most appreciated too!

Thanks for your kind words, tips and tricks I find myself following you guys for that, as far as covering as I said I really enjoy the whole build process almost to the point of being therapeutic. I just go into my own world, take my time and if things start going wrong, I just walk away and come back to it at another time. The one thing I learned covering, that its all about the temperature of the iron, to hot or not hot enough can just makes the task miserable.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I think I need to start keeping better track of iron temperature (put an infrared thermometer with the covering tools) and how the covering reacts.

I noticed last night when I was almost done covering my open strut rudder than the wrinkles I was fighting on the second 50% of tacking down the outer edge was being caused by too hot of an iron inducing shrinkage during the tacking process.

Sadly I didn't have a thermometer handy, and didn't take any notes. But I think I will start doing that - hopefully it will help my next covering job look better, and eventually I can build a beauty like this. :)

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Looks great! I am checking out covering now, because my T-Craft will soon be needing that.

I noticed you were talking about using CA for your builds, I just switch to using Titebond II for my T-Craft build and I love it. No more sticking fingers, CA headaches, and no more being pressured for time trying to get parts positioned correctly before the CA sets up. I barley use CA anymore, just in a few places where I need a fast drying solution. Plus, the Titebond is really easy to sand and cut through. I love the freedom from CA. Unless you are in a big hurry, Titebond is the way to go, IMHO...

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I'm also a big fan of Titebond II, although I do use CA regularly now as well. I did away with it for a year or so, but now use whichever glue is better suited for the items being glued.