My first flight with a $60 FPV kit

WindFreak

I hope you all don't laugh at my inexpensive setup. I'd blown my budget on a Flyzone Beaver, DX6 and now an F450 quad (and a bunch of lipos)...but I really wanted to add FPV to the mix so when I found Amazon had a Tx/Rx combo for $37, I figured it was worth a try. I already had a 7" LCD for $26, so I pulled the trigger.

At first I thought I'd made a mistake when the vRx overheated on a 3s lipo, but once it cooled down and was connected to an 8.4v NiMH all was well.

Here's a video of my first attempt at FPV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zINyQ2SuShI

I'm not really endorsing this kit, particularly if it turns out to be incompatible with FatShark goggles (coming soon I hope), but it seems to work for those on a tight budget.

Note, I did forget to add the frustration of having to learn the ridiculous naming convention for SMA connectors that ended up needing an adapter for my cloverleaf antennas.

FPVSetup.png

johnmw

propulsion impromptu
no worries,
not everyone started fpv need to get the expensive gears immediately.
mine costs $99 ... it works, and i'm content at the moment.
i'm sure you're pretty excited towards your next fpv flight.
happy flying!

WindFreak

I have one of those VTX's and 2W it is not.

@Craftydan, do you know how to change the channels on the TS351 vTx? Seems like it must involve cutting off the heat shrink...more of which I do not have :(

So far I like the 7" monitor and would agree that it does not blue screen easily. Caveat: that is based almost entirely on bench testing.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
That actually bugged the snot out of me . . . not becasue I don't have heat shrink , but I couldn't FIND the stupid switch block :mad:

Yes, the heatshrink will have to go, but not all of it. Pull out an exacto knife and cut a small window in the shrink to expose the hole for the switch block. If you're careful, there'll be plenty of margin left around it on all sides.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
For those that would prefer the "goggles" approach, HK has a 'kit' for around $30.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__53706__quanum_diy_fpv_goggle_set_with_monitor_kit_.html

No experience with it myself but I would imagine it's about as nice as you could expect it to be for the price. And keep in mind it's DIRT cheap. Lol

It's actually nicer than the price, given you get a 4" non-bluescreen display with a frame that can strap to your head or bolt to your TX, but fairly low Res.

Display FOV (how big the picture looks while on your head) is comparable to the Dominator HD's with a resolution lower than the Teleporters. Seeing as how any static on the link will ruin the HD image, the lower resolution isn't that bad of a disadvantage, where the big FOV is very immersive.

I've enjoyed using mine immensily, but it is pretty bulky when it comes time to transition back and forth between LOS/FPV.