My Gremlin Build (First Quad)

BEEMANS

NEVER FLY WITHOUT IT
Hello
I just started my first quad build with a FT Gremlin. The assembly went fine and I have a working Flight Control Board. Unfortunately I have some other problems and due to my lack of experience with Beta Flight and quads in general I do not know what to do next. I got through the initial setup & I have my 2 position & 3 position switches working (as TJ shows them in the build). The problem is after I arm the quad and barley touch the throttle one motor spools all the way up and will not slow down & the other three spool up slightly and just stay at one speed. I am going to re-tune the motors check to see if I need to flash newer firmware to FCB(when I initially hooked up the FCB it connected on first attempt I figured Flite Test took care of it) & that is what I can think to do myself. Any thoughts or advice to get the quad to just arm and respond correctly to the transmitter throttle would be appreciated. I have not started any PID tuning either. Also I flashed new firmware to the ESC's. I also turned off motor stop in Beta Flight (I don't like the ideal of the quad spinning up the motors unless I give it the command to do so) don't know if this if part of the problem).

Transmitter:
DX9

Receiver:
DSMX Quad Race Serial Receiver with Diversity

Thanks
Bryan

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
My first thoughts are: Did you calibrate the ESc's and did you calibrate the acceleromter?

Does the quad fly like that in all 3 flight modes (Angle, Horizon, Acro)?

Answering these might help.

BEEMANS

NEVER FLY WITHOUT IT
Ok Tried those

My first thoughts are: Did you calibrate the ESc's and did you calibrate the acceleromter?

Does the quad fly like that in all 3 flight modes (Angle, Horizon, Acro)?

Answering these might help.

Jim
I tried both of those and I think if might of helped. One corner will still spool all the way up but that is with quad setting on surface I calibrated accelerometer on & no props. I think quad is trying to find it's own level and with no props it just keeps spooling up corner it thinks is too low. So I think at this point it is time to put the props on and try to hover in horizon mode. Have to wait until I go home I tried all this during my lunch.

Thanks for help will let you know how it goes.
Bryan

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
What you are describing is common and the fix is to put props on it.

Film the maiden so we can all see and cheer you if it flies or help you if it doesn't. :)

BEEMANS

NEVER FLY WITHOUT IT
Still Trying

Ok
I put the props on but it did not fly. all I did was chew up a small spot of grass in my yard. I am thinking I need to check rotation again and also find a good diagram for how the props go on. one corner of the quad still spooled way up and the others not so much. I did not initially flash the latest stable firm ware to board. Hope this is not a problem I tried to do this after this first flight attempt and could not get Beta flight to flash to the board.

Thanks

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
The writing on a prop faces up. :)

If the copter flips immediately when you run up the props check direction of motors and that ESC 1 is connected to the motor 1 port on the flight controller, ESC 2 to motor 2 etc. If you connect ESC 1 to motor 2 on your flight controller the copter will flip when you try to fly.

BEEMANS

NEVER FLY WITHOUT IT
I agree
When it comes to planes you can just put the prop on with the letters facing foreword and if it the wash is in the right direction or set. With quad I need to learn how to identify direction of prop from the shape of it and then place the correct on in the correct spot. Can't test a quad this way it results in bloody fingers. Emaxx has also put two sets of text on the props the dimensions and the word "EMAXX" that did not help. Found this a while back the photo does not show it but the text is the prop size and I believe it shows the edge that into the direction of rotation. So I am going to check if that is the same for the Emaxx props.
PROP ROTATION.jpg

So this is what I am thinking:

1 Connect Quad to Beta Flight
2 Using Motors page spool up each motor individually to check motor position & rotation.
3 Put some marks on props for direction that make sense to me.
4 Mount props and try one more time.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Just remember the high side turns to the center of the quad. Looking down from the top the front left motor rotates clock wise the front right rotates counter clock wise. Rear left is counter clock wise and rear right is clock wise.

BEEMANS

NEVER FLY WITHOUT IT
Ok guys

Wanted to thank every body for their advice it helped. My biggest problem was props and getting the rotation correct. After that if flew just fine. Only problem now is the board keeps lifting from the frame (Probable left the ESC wires a touch too long). The other fun little thing was about the third or fourth flight in the back yard. I came back towards the porch did not control it as well as I should have and got a little too close to the wall of the house and I was dropping as I came towards it. well wouldn't you know the dog bowl was out there were are talking a bowl about 6" X 5" and I bingo'd the sucker. Spent about a half hour blowing water out of the quad with a can of compressed air but it still fly's and I am happy with every thing so far. Took it to my air field on Monday and everyone who saw (and likes multi-rotors) loved the thing I may have gotten one person to go and get one themselves.

Thanks again
Beemans

Michael9865

Elite member
You are brave giving your Gremlin a bath, I heard that's a bad thing. LOL
Glad that you were able to save it. I still struggle with De-Arming mine quickly when I encounter trees and the ground.

Huffheinz

Hah! You probably couldn't hit that dog bowl again if you tried! Congrats on the build and for successfully surviving an emergency water landing.