My quads hate me!!!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Your props are off. On the bench, that is good to test for motor direction etc, but it tells you almost nothing other than that because when the motors are not under a load (with props), the quad's flight controller is still trying to keep the quad level etc. Put props on, take it outside, and do a hover test. BTW, while props are off, make SURE motor direction on all 4 motors is correct.

Uhmmm you did notice there was no throttle response in the vid. It was either idle or full.... Maybe not the best idea to put props on it just yet?

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
you said you figured it out and it was good
I don't think I ever said that. It is not flying. The video is what it has been going this entire time.
Your props are off. On the bench, that is good to test for motor direction etc, but it tells you almost nothing other than that because when the motors are not under a load (with props), the quad's flight controller is still trying to keep the quad level etc. Put props on, take it outside, and do a hover test. BTW, while props are off, make SURE motor direction on all 4 motors is correct.
Ok but what happens is when I get over a certain stick value the motors just go to full throttle. If I did this with the props on it would be really high up and then all I can do is disarm (and watch it fall and break).

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Is this what you are talking about @PsyBorg ? He is just saying he fixed the link
yup

@Mr_Stripes As for the throttle issue I need to ponder that some more. usually you get all or nothing.. not varied and sporadic like that video.

dumb question.. how does your throttle stick respond to other models? have you checked to see? Maybe the pot has worn out all the sudden as electronics do. It could be acting like a scratchy volume control on a radio and not giving a good strong and steady change. (probably way off base but doesn't hurt to check.)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
just watched the video again.. realized its brand new ish... probably not able to nor has been set up on another model. Judging by the reaction with the rest of the channels Im gonna roll with this being a radio issue.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
that why I asked what response is shown on the recevier tab in BetaFlight configurator when the throttle is moved... that would ID issues with what throttle signal is being received by the FC.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Could be like the batch of tx last year that were being shipped with loose connectors to the motherboards. They wouldnt necessarily show up in betaflight but would be detrimental in the field.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I don't think I ever said that. It is not flying. The video is what it has been going this entire time.

Ok but what happens is when I get over a certain stick value the motors just go to full throttle. If I did this with the props on it would be really high up and then all I can do is disarm (and watch it fall and break).
Connect to BetaFlight with a battery connected also, go to the RX tab, and see if the throttle channel is working there. If it is, go to the motors tab, and make sure all motors are turning the correct direction. If all that works, then put props on. Motors can only truly be tested with prop load. It is nothing like a motor on an airplane - quads HAVE to have a prop load to function correctly.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Connect to BetaFlight with a battery connected also, go to the RX tab, and see if the throttle channel is working there. If it is, go to the motors tab, and make sure all motors are turning the correct direction. If all that works, then put props on. Motors can only truly be tested with prop load. It is nothing like a motor on an airplane - quads HAVE to have a prop load to function correctly.

Not really mate. Yes the gyros will hunt when the quad is on a solid surface. All you have to do to safely test set up is to pick it up off the table as it idles. It should automatically snap in line and react to the subtle movements in your hand. Tilt a corner down and that motor should speed up. Do that on all four motors THEN you can put it in the air.

The thing is the throttle is not responding as it should and there is a reason for that. We just cant prove what it is just yet.

@Mr_Stripes IF you want to test Cappys theory put the props on upside down and swap corners so they push up not down. That way if it goes bonkers it cant get off the floor.

Also.. check to make sure you have no checked the 3d box. That would allow for the throttle to push harder above half throttle but not below. It would not reverse the props until the esc's were flash as bi directional which seems to make sense in my head when I think about it. Beta flight wants to have bi directional control but the escs have not been flashed to do that.

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
Also.. check to make sure you have no checked the 3d box. That would allow for the throttle to push harder above half throttle but not below. It would not reverse the props until the esc's were flash as bi directional which seems to make sense in my head when I think about it. Beta flight wants to have bi directional control but the escs have not been flashed to do that.
Nope, not in 3d.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I'm all outa ideas mate. Best I can say is go back and confirm that the proper .hex was flashed on it. Do a magnified inspection of the ENTIRE flight controller maybe even compare pictures of it. See if when you did the solder work or even in the crash something did not get skewed or even knocked off the flight controller.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Same as normal and that is a good question.

Actually it has been used on 3 quads now and it has preformed fine on all of them. I don't think it is a radio issue because the quad was flying fine until I soldered the motor on.
On Joshua Bardwell's FB, there are likely dozens of comments like "on the bench, with props off, my quad motors are uncontrollable after I increase throttle" - and his response is always (paraphrased): "It is doing what it is supposed to do. Confirm motor direction and put props on then hover test."

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
On Joshua Bardwell's FB, there are likely dozens of comments like "on the bench, with props off, my quad motors are uncontrollable after I increase throttle" - and his response is always (paraphrased): "It is doing what it is supposed to do. Confirm motor direction and put props on then hover test."

Bruh.. this is something totally different then what you have been talking about. You are prompting someone into a potentially unsafe situation where they could get hurt or cause damage. What you are talking about is a natural tendency for the FC to hunt to find level when left on its own at idle.

What IS going on is the throttle is not responding properly nor in proportion to what the radio is telling it to do. TWO totally different issues mate.

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
LET ME EXPLAIN: IF I PUT THE PROPS ON AND THROTTLE UP IT WILL BE ON THE MOON BEFORE I CAN DISARM BECAUSE ONCE I GET PAST A CERTAIN POINT THE QUAD GOES TO FULL THROTTLE!!!

Corsair714

You guys could just help each other out instead of arguing and yelling at each other. I would offer my assistance, but your problem has me baffled.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Bruh.. this is something totally different then what you have been talking about. You are prompting someone into a potentially unsafe situation where they could get hurt or cause damage. What you are talking about is a natural tendency for the FC to hunt to find level when left on its own at idle.

What IS going on is the throttle is not responding properly nor in proportion to what the radio is telling it to do. TWO totally different issues mate.
LOL. Until he puts props on, this will it not be resolved.

Last edited:

CappyAmeric

Elite member
LET ME EXPLAIN: IF I PUT THE PROPS ON AND THROTTLE UP IT WILL BE ON THE MOON BEFORE I CAN DISARM BECAUSE ONCE I GET PAST A CERTAIN POINT THE QUAD GOES TO FULL THROTTLE!!!
Yes, a flyaway is possible in any quad, but that is why you first check motor direction in BetaFlight, and always arm a new build outside, with props on, stepped back and keep your finger on the disarm. If you want to fly that quad, you will have to eventually put props on it. At this point, what do you have to lose?

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Go watch this YouTube video that explains why you cannot fully troubleshoot throttle response with props off. If you don't know, Joshua Bardwell is likely the most watched quad guy in the world.