My Scratch built H-Quad

BFassassin

Hi guys,

I started building my new quad a while back and have had nothing but trouble since. (Havent even got the motors spinning yet never mind flying)
I am using the plans from this site and bought all of the parts recommended. I have also bought a new turnigy 9xr and FrSky transmitter receiver (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14355)
Once I got all made an built together I figured out that my FrSky transmitter was faulty. I have now got it replaced and I think its working. (no real way of testing it)

I connected everything up again and my i86 multirotor board is flashing red which means that its not getting a signal. Really not sure where to go from here.

I have uploaded a photo of how I have everything connected up. Maybe I am doing something wrong. I connected an extra battery to the receiver when testing as I dont think it was getting any power with just the connections from the control board.

Thanks guys if you can help me.

Stephen

Attachments

• IMAG0323_BURST002.jpg
    IMAG0323_BURST002.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 416
Last edited:

BFassassin

Yep the receiver is bound. I have got slightly further now though as I have tested connecting the escs directly to the receiver and I can control the motors. So that end of things is working.
It seems as though the receiver is not getting any power though through the i86 board though so I have to hook up another battery to even get lights working on it. I thought the power would be sent to the receiver through the i86 board but that might not be the case. I will have to look into it more

BFassassin

Thanks mate. That has solved the problem of the receiver getting power anyway. Silly error to make :)
Hopefully that will help me sort out the rest now.

BFassassin

Hi guys. Im back again after taking a break from this build.
I have got a bit further on from before but still not flying yet sadly :(
I have done the set-up of the i86 board as per the instructions but it doesn't seem to work properly.
I am using a mode 2 Turnigy 9xr (Throttle on left) but to unlock the i86 I need to hold the left stick down and the right stick down and to the right. But when I do this it unlocks but the the throttle is the right stick. With the stick centred nothing happens but pushing the right stick up gives me throttle.

Has anyone any ideas as to why this might be happening. Im guessing it could be something really simple but I havent a clue what it could be.

Thanks

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Hi guys. Im back again after taking a break from this build.
I have got a bit further on from before but still not flying yet sadly :(
I have done the set-up of the i86 board as per the instructions but it doesn't seem to work properly.
I am using a mode 2 Turnigy 9xr (Throttle on left) but to unlock the i86 I need to hold the left stick down and the right stick down and to the right. But when I do this it unlocks but the the throttle is the right stick. With the stick centred nothing happens but pushing the right stick up gives me throttle.

Has anyone any ideas as to why this might be happening. Im guessing it could be something really simple but I havent a clue what it could be.

Thanks

Pictures? Maybe the receivers channels don't match the board's pinout...

PaulT

Mentor
Your connections are amoche...French for messed up...
You're getting signal but it's not going where it's supposed to go.
Since you are mixing items made by different companies (Fr Sky and who ever makes to i86) don't assume that input one should go to output one.
Chances are your throttle is connected into a aileron port which is why your right stick is now throttle and only starts at the neutral (see center) position.
Easy fix.....
I86 board is from top to bottom when looking at the picture of your board
1-Rudder
2-Throttle
3-Elevator
4-aileron
Your receiver should be:
1-aileron
2-elevator
3-throttle
4-rudder

Also your dip switches should be in x configuration which is
1 2 3 4
0ff 0ff 0n 0ff

Then again, I could be all wrong, as I own neither the i86 or a fy sky receiver...but I did do some research for you.;)

This is, by the way, exactly what Colorex posted... I'm just translating into another language.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
On the control board:

Switch channels 2 and 3.
Switch channels 1 and 4.

Test without props.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor

The RF transmission module gets the signal from the TX in a specific order already. The module just transmits it to the Rx, which interprets it in the order it gets it.

What this means is that a 9X with FrSky will not have the same channel order as a Spektrum with FrSky.

BFassassin

Thanks guys. It turns out that it didnt really matter where the leads where plugged in as it could all be changed in the menu of the transmitter.
I changed the throttle to channel 3 with some offset and its working the way I would like it. Now to check the motors are spinng the correct way, the gyros are working the right way and then attach my props.

BFassassin

Hello again :)
Thanks for the help so far everyone. After realising that I didn't have any proper prop mounts I managed to get them mounted with a few washers and nuts. Loctite of course (Except one managed to come loose on me)
Anyway, I fired it up and as you can see from the video below its not running right. The motors are not running at the same speed as each other. The front left seems to be fastest followed by the left rear, right front and then right rear. Im not sure if you can make it out but in the second part of the video I adjusted the trim settings on the transmitter but it didn't make it any better.
What could the reason behind this be?
Thanks

BFassassin

Had my first crash this evening.
I thought I had the esc's properly calibrated but it seemed not.
The props were spinning at a much closer rate than in the above video but the left hand side ones were just a little bit faster. I held the right stick down and the copter took off quite level to about 2-3 feet above the ground. Any movement of the right stick and it was unstable. It eventually went by itself, flipped over and hit the ground. It broke a prop broke some solder joints and pulled the front boom arm away from the top and bottom plates.

Its all relatively easy to fix lucky enough apart from figuring out what was wrong in the first place. It really has me stumped.