Mystery plank

Jetstreamer

So in today's episode "Flying a plane from a drone." I noticed a plane I haven't seen before. Right at 2:40 you see a few stacked. It looks to be a foam board pusher prop plank similar to the Strix Nano Goblin. Anyone have any idea what it is?

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
rumors say they have several new ones in the books. i think they are feeding us easter eggs in the vids.

we will see.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
EVERY FT video has hidden surprises if there is shop video. Even the Whoop FPV videos have easter eggs.

daspunner

Noticed that one too! FT-crew please say something!

Do they show us these mystery-builds on purpose?

Last edited:

Jetstreamer

1530193658997.png

daspunner

Trying to determine the size of the plane in the video. Are those 5g servos?

Can't help it but I see a slight resemblance.

ang9du.jpg

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Not a very new design. Here is my FB version of the TFW which I found on Outerzone. (Been flying it for over a year now. Built and gifted 2 others as well).

SUNP0011.JPG

Flies equally as well without the inboard fins if Winglets fitted!

Have fun!

Jetstreamer

Cool! I was thinking about making something similar in size to that but with the form factor of the larger goblin (single vertical stabilizer) but include wing end plates like the versawing. Do your different builds (inboard fins vs winglets) stall any differently or have different flight characteristics in any way? I bet it's fast!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
As for fast, my versions only use a 120W 1400kV motor and are faster than my FT Spitfire. Extremely aerobatic and the most insane maneuver is to power on dive vertically from 300+ Feet to just above the ground, The added speed allows the thing to do loops around 4ft in Diameter.

The stall characteristics are rather benign. If the CG is correct it just seems to sink with full up elevator with a nose heavy attitude it nods the nose up and down as it stalls and recovers all by itself. With a tial heavy setup the plane will loose directional stability and wander from side to side before it suddenly drops a wing rather savagely, (The more rearwards from the required CG your plane balances the worse the stall behavior becomes.

Only real issue is ground effect if the plane is too low as it will balloon close to the ground. If you land hard whilst feeding in up elevator it can do an insane loop after bouncing off of the ground and then land upside down. Ideally we release all elevator at the moment the plane touches down or is about to.

The fins are for directional stability and so far I have not seen much difference between fixed inboard fins and winglets except for how the plane handles in a very strong crosswind landing. with winglets the plane tends to wag its tail a little and with the more central fins it seems ot roll a little more.

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
On the Balsa or smaller versions Yeah if I dig them out but the larger version in FB no as it was a what if that got a little out of control!

Below is a pic of the 2 versions I have currently.
SUNP0013.JPG

Do you want the original Balsa or the small FB version plan?

Have fun!

Wingman04

So in today's episode "Flying a plane from a drone." I noticed a plane I haven't seen before. Right at 2:40 you see a few stacked. It looks to be a foam board pusher prop plank similar to the Strix Nano Goblin. Anyone have any idea what it is?
At fist glance I thought they were Pun Jets, but they don't look quite the same.
Speaking of Easter eggs, did anyone notice the p-40 in the last Porco Rosso episode? :p

Last edited: