Naza M LIte Quad Build Nothing but problems.

Daletri

I decided to build a 500mm quad using the Turnigy HAL frame so I ordered everything and put it together. This is a NAZA M LITE systems with Skywalker 20A escs, 1100kv emax motors, 10 x 4.5 props,2200mah 3s 20c battery and a flysky 6ch transmitter.

It flew perfectly for a few minutes and then suddenly it was out of control and crashed into the ground. Luckily nothing was broken so I check it over looking closely at solder joints ( I did not use an plugs), checking connections. I recalibrated the escs ( all four at once), re calibrated the IMU, recalibrated the GPS, recalibrated the transmitter, I did it all. I also rechecked the esc settings and made sure the right props were on the right motor and that the motors were spinning correctly and I went for another trial run, this time in ATTI mode, no GPS and again it flew great for a few seconds and then suddenly was out of control before slamming hard into the ground. This time the crash warped the new frame and destroyed the landing gear.

Any ideas what could be wrong? I know that others have used the Skywalker esc's with the Naza Lite. That's why I chose them. They are not flashed or anything must stock Skywalker 20A escs. One thing that I noticed is at startup two of the motors would not spin until I gave it throttle. Then all would spin and the quad would lift off the ground and was very stable for at least a few seconds.

If you have any ideas or suggestions please let me know. I appreciate any help at all.

Last edited:

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
If it was "flying great for a few seconds", then was, "out of control" meaning it was still 'flying' but erratically, could be any of several things. Anything from a Control board issue to something mechanical like a slipping prop.

Very hard to say. Video often tells more than many paragraphs of explanation. I often think maidens by new builders should record video and be a requirement. :eek:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I often think maidens by new builders should record video and be a requirement. :eek:

. . . and for no other reason beyond entertainment value ;)

Seriosly, Daletri, CD is spot on -- a quick video of your setup and a few minutes of flight will do wonders in diagnosing problems.

Daletri

Put the quad back together today and found the problem. Replaced the bad part and it flew very well today and I'm so glad to have this build behind me.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Oh come on Daletri!!! don't leave us in suspense!!! whadja fix?

Daletri

It appears that one of the motors had a failing bearing. At high speed (higher altitude) the bearing would kinda seize and slow the prop down causing the quad to fall out of the sky. I completely rebuilt the quad today and after setting it up I let it run ( no props ) at 1/3rd speed for about 5 minutes. I could hear a motor making noises like it was speeding up and slowing down. I also slowly turned the motor with my finger and you could feel it catch so slightly. I swapped out this motor and took it for a test flight and it flew perfectly. Everything else is the same, so I'm calling it a bad motor.

Daletri

William? The title had everything to do with the problem. This is a Naza M lite build, not a KK board build or a Multi Wii build or a woo kong foo whatever build. It's a Naza M lite build and I really thought the problem would be electrical interference or something like that throwing the Naza out of whack! Turns out it was a bad bearing. Who knows really, but I found a bad bearing and changed the motor and it flew perfectly today.

I'm a Naza fan btw that's why I chose the Naza for this build. I thought it would be easier to tune it and I'm already familiar with it. I have the Naza V2 in my Phantom and I've never had a single problem. Well yeah I had the one flyaway that totaled the Phantom body and ruined two esc and messed the bearings up in two motors, but I fixed all that and havn't had any trouble since.