Naze 32 Drift and Limited Throttle

884camo884

Hi Everyone,

I have a really strange issue with my Blackout Mini H Quad that is driving me crazy. I have been attempting to fix this problem for many months and can't get it to work correctly. I will try and provide you with as much information as possible, any help is much appreciated (just let me know if you need more info)

The Problem is as Follows
I plug my Quad in on a level surface, the gyros initialise and it arms correctly. When I attempt to take off the Quad drifts to the back-left. When I attempt to compensate, the throttle is limited to about 45%-50%. When I raise the throttle to what should be 100% (and when it was working it shot straight up) the Quad gains altitude extremely slowly and pulls to the back left.

Here is where it starts to really confuse me. About 1 in every 10 tries (unplug, set on level surface, plug in, gyros initialise), the quad works perfectly fine, doing everything that it is supposed to do and functioning 100% normal. Then, the next time I try to fly it, same day, same conditions it doesn't work again.

What I have Tried to Fix it (with no luck):
-Recalibrating Naze 32 on Level Surface (checked with level)
-Tuning Pid's
-Changing PID Profiles
-Reformatting/Resetting the board and updating with latest firmware (was on 1.8.1 then updated to 1.9.0)

-Changing out the motor and ESC on back left arm (since it was drifting that way)
-Changing Props
-ESC Calibration
-Change Receiver (due to crash)

Quadcopter Setup:
Frame: Blackout Mini H Quad
Flight Controller: Naze 32 Running Cleanflight
Motors: T-Motor MN1806
ESC: Kiss 18 amp v1.1 running one shot (enabled in Cleanflight)
Props: HQ 5x4.5 also tested with Gemfan 5x3
Battery: 1400 Nanotech 3s
BEC: 5v BEC to Power Naze
Receiver + Transmitter: D4R-II (CPPM) and Frsky Taranis
FPV Setup: TBS 69, TBS Core PNP, TBS Boss, TBS Current Sensor

Below is a Video that shows the problem (let me know if you need more footage of quad):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCvPerhbyis&feature=youtu.be

Attached are some pictures of the Quad:

Thank you for taking the time to read this long post, any help is greatly appreciated.
Regards, Cameron

Attachments

• IMG_3586.jpg
    IMG_3586.jpg
    932.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3587.jpg
    IMG_3587.jpg
    1,001.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3588.jpg
    IMG_3588.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3589.jpg
    IMG_3589.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Hi Cameron! I'm not an expert with the Naze, but I did have a similar problem with the drifting today while tuning. Connect your quad to the cleanflight configurator while the battery is plugged in (preferably without props on) and check the receiver tab. Make sure that the throttle is at the lowest position (no color in the bar) and that rudder, pitch (elevator), and roll (aileron) are all centered at 1500 (color in half the bar). If not then make it so it is by adjusting endpoints in your TX. You can also test throttle by quickly arming and spooling up to full throttle while it's plugged in (props off of course) and check that the throttle value is around 1900-2000.

884camo884

Hi Snars! Thanks for your reply. I have just checked that and all my channels are centred at 1500 and go to 1000 at one end and 2000 at the other end. The throttle at the bottom value is 1100 and 2000 at the top. Is this correct?

Throttle at Bottom:
Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 12.26.40 pm.png

Throttle at Top:
Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 12.26.54 pm.png

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Yep looks good. The fact that it works fine 1 out of 10 times is the weird part. Sorry I don't know what to suggest now other than to try another Naze board if you have one. I'll try doing some more research as well.

Longbaorder23

When i wasnt sure if one or more of my ESC/motor setups on each individual arm was working, i would go into cleanflight and spool up just that motor, and actually i would do a real world test *with the prop on*. of course, one must take higher safety precautions when doing so, and this would be the only time id recommend you leave the prop on. But it helped me find a dud ESC that wasn't performing up to spec like the rest, causing my quad to tilt back at high throttle. though, my problem wasnt in the naze and it was repeatable. but about the naze, i feel like now, after getting it to work again, that the naze is actually pretty durable (physically, like after a crash) and that it is a generally reliable piece of hardware.
maybe have you just fooled around with inflight tuning just for the hell of it? might be worth a shot.

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
The Problem is as Follows
I plug my Quad in on a level surface, the gyros initialise and it arms correctly. When I attempt to take off the Quad drifts to the back-left. When I attempt to compensate, the throttle is limited to about 45%-50%. When I raise the throttle to what should be 100% (and when it was working it shot straight up) the Quad gains altitude extremely slowly and pulls to the back left.

What flight mode(s) is this happening in?

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Could this be a battery problem?

Could it be that the times you are having trouble, the lipo is under 3.2 on any cell?

884camo884

Hey Everyone,

As per a suggestion on another forum, I have cleaned up the wires (as some were ziptied to the flight controller posts) and removed my FPV gear. This had no affect on the problem.

I have tried a new Naze 32 and the problem still persists. I have also swapped out the back-left motor, no improvment.

Any other suggestions?

884camo884

Problem Fixed!

Hi Everyone,

I am pleased to announce that I have solved the problem and it is working again. I swapped out the back-left ESC and it was all good.

Thankyou everyone for all your help and suggestions. :)

Kind Regards, Cameron