Naze32 - LEDs, amps, voltage, power, questions

jeffro

slowly learning all there is about the Naze32... I've built a miniquadbros 250 and am adding my last bit of component to it, the LEDs (a Neopixel8 stick).

I'm using opto ESCs, so i'm powering the board with a 5v, 3a UBEC (ZTW brand). I've seen two configurations of how to wire the Neopixel to the board.

1. Use an additional ubec to power the stick directly (only trying to avoid this config for weight/space reasons)

2. use the 5v +/- from one of the ESC/motor headers on the FC, such as in example from C0d3M0nk3y :
IMG_9860_zps9gwvp6zu.jpg

The question(s) i have is, do any of you know or can educate me on how much power (amperage) the Naze32 can pass through to the esc/motor headers using the 5v,3a ubec? Is it simply passing the power (up to 3 amps) of the ubec through the board and into the stick? How much amp draw would the ESCs use? (ZTW Spider 12a SimonK ESCs). Would that single ubec be enough to power the board, ESCs, and LED stick?

My main concern through all of this is, will i brown out (or fry the board) if i use the Naze to power the LED stick (and put the LEDs to their full potential amp draw - i.e. full white light) during flight?

Each 2812 5050 led will pull 60mA of current so 8 of them in ops case equals .48A total at full brightness on white. The naze pulls very little current atound .15A. The escs dont pull any current from the 5v circuit they are soley powered directly from the 12v battery And only need a signal from the naze.

Your total load is under .75A so there is no reason to use another bec your 3A is more than enough. The header can handle that current as well

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
I had 24 of the LEDs connected, but the BEC I was using couldn't handle that many. I had to switch to an additional 5V regulator.