Naze32 rev. 6 drift

[Resolved] HobbyKing Naze32 rev. 6 Drift w/ newer firmwares

[Resolved in Post #6]

I have two Naze32 rev. 6 from HK that drift bad. I've spent many hours of research and trying different things. The copter flies okay in acro mode, although I haven't done any acro with it, hover seems okay. I'd like to get horizon mode working. I have removed the FC from the copter, and mounted it on a sturdy PCB vise. I can recreate the problem in a vibration free environment. This should rule out many of the issues that could cause it.

Things like acc trim, gyro lpf, loop speed, etc have no effect, or a temporary effect.

In this video you can see the copter slowly roll and pitch while sitting perfectly still. The rate at which this happens is exponential, the longer you leave it the quicker the errors accumulate. They also coincide with the direction of the drift.

In this video you can see the sensor outputs, particularly the gyro moving and accelerometer staying still.

I'm wondering if anyone has run into a dead end with this in horizon mode?

Also, if your horizon mode works, does your gyro output match what is seen in the video?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Habakkukk

Fly Eagles, Fly!
So if I'm reading this right, you have tried horizon mode and your copter has a slow drift that trim can't compensate for? I've had a couple naze rev 5 boards and one sp f3 board that had a similar issue (constant yaw drift) in setup but that didn't effect the performance in Acro mode, never tried using horizon or angle though. Do you still get the drift with the baro disabled?

Yeah, trim will work initially then eventually be overcome by whatever the issue is. I haven't tried altitude hold mode so I wouldn't think the baro should be a factor. I'll see if there is a way to disable it anyway.

The only thing that stops the drift is to increase the I term, but I have to increase it so much that the copter will not fly. It keeps the telemetry attitude level on the bench which is nice, but it's so high that the copter becomes unstable in flight...

0150r

I had the same problem with one of my Naze32 Rev5's. It would drift so much that I couldn't re-arm it if I landed. I would have to re-cal it in order to re-arm. Never figured it out, ended up just turning it off in the CLI and went strictly acro.

The issue went away when loading older firmware, and the same IMU parameters and settings.

I guess that means that the HK Naze Rev. 6 is a little different and we'll have to wait for a compatible firmware update to be able to use Air Mode.

Bummer...

naze working.PNG

Attachments

• naze gyro.PNG
    naze gyro.PNG
    4.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I guess that means that the HK Naze Rev. 6 is a little different and we'll have to wait for a compatible firmware update to be able to use Air Mode.

There is a way to configure your transmitter and play with min_throttle to basically act exactly like air mode. I'm not sure how to do it exactly, but you can search around and probably find it pretty easily.