Need help getting into the fpv hobby! (Someone experienced to check over my kit)

Scott Langridge

I have decided that this summer I am going to try to get into fpv drone racing, or at least just build a drone as a project to keep me busy. I am going to try to build one as cheap as I can. It is a really cool looking hobby, but it is a bit daunting trying to figure out what I need and what will work, so I have come for a bit of help. Can anyone tell me:

1 - If I buy everything on other and drone 3 here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KUoR2P6mHDsaP6QPS9zeeUNty3DIjN_0pcrrqQszpZ4/edit?usp=sharing , Will I have everything I need to build and fly, and have everything compatible, or is there anything else I need at all? I am especially worried about the pdb since it recommends 3s and everything else says 4s.

2 - With these parts will what I get even be worth it? Will I get something that actually goes?

3 - Is banggood trustworthy? I either hear people saying they are great or they are awful.

4 - I have also never had a drone of any description so is it a bad idea to get one like this for a first drone?

5 - What sort of antenna should I get? I have seen lots of clover type and I thought these were supposed to be better than what I have for turning 90 degrees and just in general, but if the ones I have already in the kit will do, I will stick to them.

6 - What will my range be like for controlling the drone and fpv?

7 - CMOS or CCD camera, what is the difference? (The two cameras I am looking at are Eachine Wizard X220 Spare Part 2.8mm 700TVL 1/3 CMOS FPV Camera PAL and 600TVL 2.8mm Lens 1/3. There are links to the pages with these on drone 2 and drone 3 of the spreadsheet).

8 - Finally what sort of cell should I go for? I am thinking 4s because I have heard that it isn't even worth bothering with 3s. However I am wondering if 3s will be easier to learn with since I have never had a qaud and 3s is less powerful. Will both even power my drone fine? What sort of flight and charge times can I expect?

Cheers - Scott

Last edited:

DharanFlyer

Welcome to the forum Scott.

Go straight for the 4S in my opinion. If that's what you are going to fly start there versus having to relearn later.

I will leave the quad breakdown to the experts, but nothing stands out as a bad choice to me. Battery looks good (high C rating) just make sure to get more than one as you will go through it fast and without a few to get into a groove learning will take a bit longer.

I'd suggest going up a level on the goggles to something like these only because the diversity will give you more range with a patch attena and the DVR will be great for reviewing your flights.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
A few things on that list I would avoid...

Naze32 - soon to be unsupported in Betaflight/Cleanflight

4-in-1 ESC's - personal preference, but if one goes you are replacing all of them. They are great on super micro builds where space/weight is at a premium, but you have lot's of room on the arms with the frames you chose.

That Wizard camera - it is crap, first thing I replaced on my Wizard. I'd recommend a runcam swift 2 or something similar, going super cheap here is not a good idea.

Everything else looks pretty reasonable. I'd also recommend getting a simulator to learn to fly while you're waiting for parts and building, it will save you a ton of frustration and crashes. I've had decent experiences with Banggood, though their free shipping can be extremely slow - like over 3 months depending on which warehouse you get. Their expedited service is pretty decent, usually DHL gets here in less than 2 weeks if Banggood gets it out the door quickly.