need help , pulsating throttle

sundown57

Legendary member
The other day I took the 1914 monoplane out and realized that anything over 3/4 throttle the motor would shut off. So i figured either bad ESC or whatever id deal with it later. that was with a large motor, a 30 amp ESC, and a 3300 battery. Now I have put together 2 other planes one is a 2d3d the other is a sumo 3d. Both have small motors and different brand 10 amp ESC'S. when I was bench testing them One does the same as the 1914 , motor shuts off over 3/4 throttle, the other one pulsates up and down. I'm thinking I have something in the transmitter wrong but I've checked everything and it all seems right. Im using a flysky I6X. anyone have an idea where to begin?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Could possibly be the pots wearing out and the signal is fluctuating. The variance with it happening in some set ups and not others could be the tolerances in the esc's to signal input changes. I would also open the radio and check for loose connectors or corrosion as we tend to be out flying in the hot humid weather and electronics and humidity dont play well with each other. If the gimbals have analog pots and not hall sensors then maybe trying some tuner spray could help.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
This came to mind because I was playing my guitar yesterday and the volume control was making noise due to age. Works the same in radios.

sundown57

Legendary member
the inside seems filled with a whole lot of ( don't mess with this ) It looks clean I wiggled all the wires and looked close for corrosion but I don't see anything obvious.

Attachments

• IMG_4967.JPG
    IMG_4967.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4968.JPG
    IMG_4968.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0

sundown57

Legendary member
When bench testing did you hook up a watt meter to see how many amps you are drawing?
I don't have a super-accurate amp meter. But I did buy the motors and ESC as a set but I'm thinking they are not a matched set. I used my flysky I6S transmitter on the same plane and it did the same thing. Changed the receiver and that didn't work. SO I'm guessing it has to be the ESC's problem is those are the only 4 20A I have so just ordered some different ones.

Wildthing

Legendary member
i don't have any other small ESC.s. I just ordered 4 more yesterday but they won't be here till the end of the week or so. here are links to the motors and ESC.s i did buy. I thought there were a good match but maybe not. Does anyone know how to figure out the amp draw of the motors?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/362675306496
https://www.ebay.com/itm/362739573079
Well they really don't give any specs on the motors but I have some similar motors and 10A esc you should be good.
Far as testing, a watt meter tool, everyone should have one.

sundown57

Legendary member
I know i need to get one. the one im using is the old needle gauge type. I need to get a digital. I agree I thought a 10 AMP ESC would be sufficient also. Is there anything I need to know about when buying ESCs? like as long as they have 3 wires they are compatible ? or are there differences that it may not work with my transmitter and receiver?

Wildthing

Legendary member
I know i need to get one. the one im using is the old needle gauge type. I need to get a digital. I agree I thought a 10 AMP ESC would be sufficient also. Is there anything I need to know about when buying ESCs? like as long as they have 3 wires they are compatible ? or are there differences that it may not work with my transmitter and receiver?
Well those esc's are from HK and I had a couple of them and the worked ok. I have bought some yellow shrink wrapped ones with no labels and they were junk.

sundown57

Legendary member
now that you mention that. these are the ones they actually sent me. They have no branding on them either. Now I'm wondering if they even are 10 AMP

Attachments

• IMG_4969.JPG
    IMG_4969.JPG
    875.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4970.JPG
    IMG_4970.JPG
    854.7 KB · Views: 0

Wildthing

Legendary member
now that you mention that. these are the ones they actually sent me. They have no branding on them either. Now I'm wondering if they even are 10 AMP
Hmmm, send him a message asking for the right ones. Through Amazon I had ordered some Emax metal gear servos, (forgot the exact model) and they usually come in a nice box, well the ones I got had the same model number on them but the label was different and just in a cheap plastic bag. They didn't have half the torque of the real ones , also there was one dude out of 6 that didn't work at all. I did get a refund