Need help starting the hobby

colflame

good point about the 3 channels, but I wish I had gone with 4 channels to start out with. Adding ailerons isn't going to make it impossible to learn on. 3 channels gets boring fast. with a few hours of simulator time, 4 channels should be no problem. Then again, I'm a kid and learn fast so that might just me my opinion.

So young = get 4CH, im young, there me= 4CH :D ya n if i want just 3CH, cnt i just disconnect the rudder servo and fly the bixler 3CH?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I'd recommend that if you don't know anyone else who flies, get an AXN. They are perfect out of the box and a great plane to fly. If you were going to use your trainer as an FPV model, I'd recommend the Bixler.

The Bixler is a great plane too, but there are minor things that need to be done to keep it in the air. Most people learn about them after they've (the problems) caused a crash... Traps for young players include poorly glued (and brittle) control horns, often faulty snap connectors and motor mount screws that undo with the vibration of flight.

In regard to a tx, if you want to fly FPV I'd recommend getting a Turnigy/Flysky/Eurgle 9x. The stock module is (apparently) good for ~1.5km which is more than adequate for line of sight flying. For longer range, you can get an FrSky system that has a higher transmitting power and considerably higher range. You might not think you'll need the extra channels (the 9x has 8 channels, compared to the DX6i's 6), but there's no end to the gadgets you can add to an FPV system that you'll want to operate from a switch or a dial (head tracking itself takes up 2 channels).

P.S. I don't understand why people think 4 channels are so hard... The polyhedral on the wings of the AXN and Bixler make the planes right themselves, making them damn easy to fly just using rudder, or just using ailerons, or using a combination.

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Yeah, the Bixler can be flown Elev/Rudd without even unplugging the ailerons.

I have not flown nor seen an AXN personally. But I do know that for the Bixler is a good airplane that can be great - with just a few simple mods. Mods like covering it with tape, reinforcing certain parts, and changing the stock control horns out are just a few of the many easy things that can improve and extend the lifetime of your airplane.

Obviously we are going to help you with suggestions for any plane you'd get. I can only help you if you get the Bixler :) But other people can help you with the AXN as well. And of course some tips apply to all airplanes.

What you said about ailerons is true not only for the AXN - foam hinges aren't that great. You should work them back and forth a few times to get them loose. Same for rudder and elevator.

foreverflying247

Hey colflame!
I bought an AXN not long ago as my second plane (my first one was second-hand and broke) and it is a pleasure to fly for a beginner. I know the discussion on HK says the ailerons etc. are stiff, but they're fine, I didn't do anything to mine and they might not go as far as they can, but it works, and it's easy to fly. Definitely get a 2200maH battery, nothing smaller. People say you need to trim out the cockpit to fit it in, but you don't really; just shove the battery in and it loosens up over time. The motor mount is not a problem and if yours does come loose just squirt some of the supplied CA onto it. It also has a prop saver and the wings are thick and virtually indestructible, the worst I have done is the prop coming off when I crashed and it slicing into the wing. The wings also have a thick carbon fibre rod in them (maybe it's plastic) that keeps them stiff and strong. The supposedly underpowerec ESC is absolutely fine. The only thing I can say is bad is the wings may need to be layered with tape for a very good fit, you could fly without it, but I wouldn't risk it. I've been to scared to glue them in. I don't know much about transmitters etc., but I do know that the AXN is a great plane, and I would strongly recommend it.

Hope I could be of some help!

Last edited:

jd7792

So far what i've been able to gather is get a cheap radio ( HK6 seems gud enough), AXN Floater or Bixler as the first plane, plenty of simulator time, and once im ready to move into intermediate planes, switch to a better radio and then take the big boys to the sky.

hope that seems about right :)

Hi Colflame, I am fairly new to the hobby as well. I have been flying(planes) for a couple of months now and before that I had really only flown a small heli. I started off with a Skysurfer from Banana hobby. It comes as an RTF with very little work to do to get it ready. This plane is the same plane as the Bixler, that Hobby King sells. It comes with a cheap $20 4ch transmitter that does the job perfectly. I spent a fair amount of time on a computer simulator, but as is the case for many people I crashed and burnt on the first outing. Most pilots out there will openly tell you that crashing is a major part of flying and you have to be real lucky to get around it. The crash didn't stop me a bought a kit version of the same plane and transferred the electronics over. Now I am in the process of building a delta wing and an F16 scratch build.
You wrote that money was a concern. I hear that brother! I was forced to retire 20 yrs early, because of health and money is about the highest concern in our house too!
I now have a Turnigy 9X on order with Hobby King which is a great alternative to more expensive Trns.

The biggest thing I can say is that I can't praise the other members on this forum enough. They will help you with every single thing you ask about. They are a great bunch and will make you feel right at home.

So invest in a simulator of some type and have a good look at either the Bixler or the Skysurfer.

Good luck, I hope you enjoy flying as much as we do!

jd7792

Before you decide have a look at this

Search "Sky Surfer and Bixler RC Plane Build Supplement Part1" on You Tube.

colflame

Hey colflame!
I bought an AXN not long ago as my second plane (my first one was second-hand and broke) and it is a pleasure to fly for a beginner. I know the discussion on HK says the ailerons etc. are stiff, but they're fine, I didn't do anything to mine and they might not go as far as they can, but it works, and it's easy to fly. Definitely get a 2200maH battery, nothing smaller. People say you need to trim out the cockpit to fit it in, but you don't really; just shove the battery in and it loosens up over time. The motor mount is not a problem and if yours does come loose just squirt some of the supplied CA onto it. It also has a prop saver and the wings are thick and virtually indestructible, the worst I have done is the prop coming off when I crashed and it slicing into the wing. The wings also have a thick carbon fibre rod in them (maybe it's plastic) that keeps them stiff and strong. The supposedly underpowerec ESC is absolutely fine. The only thing I can say is bad is the wings may need to be layered with tape for a very good fit, you could fly without it, but I wouldn't risk it. I've been to scared to glue them in. I don't know much about transmitters etc., but I do know that the AXN is a great plane, and I would strongly recommend it.

Hope I could be of some help!

Thank you! I've always been in conflict between the Bixler and AXN as to which one to buy. I guess i'm going to go ahead with the AXN because i've heard its more forgiving for beginners. So now all i need to pick is a decent radio :D

P.S. Should i get a 25C - 50C battery?

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Thank you! I've always been in conflict between the Bixler and AXN as to which one to buy. I guess i'm going to go ahead with the AXN because i've heard its more forgiving for beginners. So now all i need to pick is a decent radio :D

These are fine:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=8934&aff=524347

Get a couple as you might want to fly more than one battery. These are 25C - 35C discharge, You can use them in future planes or tricopters or quadcopters.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I guess i'm going to go ahead with the AXN because i've heard its more forgiving for beginners.

It's not that it's more forgiving, just that it needs less tweaks. It is literally 'plug and fly'.

The motor only draws ~10-12A on full throttle, so a high 'C' rated battery is not neccessary. The higher the C rating, the easier the battery is delivering whatever current you're drawing. In theory a higher C battery used at lower actual discharge should last longer, but they're more expensive and just as susceptible to crashes. Personally I've got a box full of 20C batteries. From a 2200mAh 20C rated battery, you can safely draw 44A (well above the amp draw of the system).

Colorex is working on an article that will go over basic electronics (to help with picking motors, ESCs and batteries). Keep your eyes peeled over the coming weeks.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
The motor only draws ~10-12A on full throttle, so a high 'C' rated battery is not neccessary. The higher the C rating, the easier the battery is delivering whatever current you're drawing. In theory a higher C battery used at lower actual discharge should last longer, but they're more expensive and just as susceptible to crashes. Personally I've got a box full of 20C batteries. From a 2200mAh 20C rated battery, you can safely draw 44A (well above the amp draw of the system).

I suggested a 25C discharge, as everyone into RC is bound to build a multicopter some day - and then he can use that battery as it's got just enough power to pull a tricopter such as David's.

Colorex is working on an article that will go over basic electronics (to help with picking motors, ESCs and batteries). Keep your eyes peeled over the coming weeks.

:) SOON!

jd7792

Just a quick recap on what Lobstermash said earlier....
Are you likely to get into FPV at a later date? i don't have one so I can't swear to it, but I don't think the AXN is big enough for FPV!!!
Worth checking before you decide.

Bollie

I did an FPV setup on an AXN and found that it did struggle with the stock setup. I upgraded the ESC so I could use a 6x5 prop and it was better. Having said that I wasn't exactly using a light weight setup. I used a 200mW transmitter, with a NOVA OSD. I had to pretty much fly full throttle

mthiel117

After reading all the discussion about AXN versus Bixler versus ..., I am wondering if the flight area size may determine where I can safely fly the planes. I am leaning toward the AXN, as I do not have plans for FPV. I am just interested in having some fun in backyard of 5 acres with a few trees. It seems all planes can be flown very slow if needed. I am wondering if a any of them would be favored if the flying area was smaller.

Thoughts and experience anyone? Thanks in advance.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
The Bixler is even better without FPV gear :)

Are you looking for a relaxed, slow flight, or for some thrilling fast speed rippers? The Bixler can fly quite slowly into the wind - but it can also be fast. It's not acrobatic, though.

If you have 5 acres of backyard, you could probably use a Bixler. A nutball or FT flyer would be more suitable for smaller places.

mthiel117

Thanks Colorex. I am initially looking for relaxed slow and controlled flight until I get comfortable, but then am interested in doing some acrobatics and speedy flight. I have heard the AXN can be both slow and acrobatic, so I was leaning toward that plane.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Thanks Colorex. I am initially looking for relaxed slow and controlled flight until I get comfortable, but then am interested in doing some acrobatics and speedy flight. I have heard the AXN can be both slow and acrobatic, so I was leaning toward that plane.

Yet I like the Bixler more than the AXN. I guess that is just my personal preference.

When I flew my Bixler the first time I found it was quite fast... but that's because I was expecting the wrong thing. There is always some amount of speed required to maintain flight.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
After reading all the discussion about AXN versus Bixler versus ..., I am wondering if the flight area size may determine where I can safely fly the planes. I am leaning toward the AXN, as I do not have plans for FPV. I am just interested in having some fun in backyard of 5 acres with a few trees. It seems all planes can be flown very slow if needed. I am wondering if a any of them would be favored if the flying area was smaller.

Thoughts and experience anyone? Thanks in advance.

No, unfortunately not all planes can be flown very slowly and therefore not all planes make good backyard fliers. You can slow all planes to a point but once their speed lowers past the point where the wing stops producing enough lift you start to descend. You can counter this by pulling up and throttling up into what's called high alpha which is just before hovering. But it takes a lot of power and large control surfaces really help and it takes quite a bit of experience to pull it off every time. I've never heard of anyone being able to pull a powered glider (which is what the Bixler and AXN are) into a high alpha. You do need to consider your flying area before purchasing a plane. That said....

It sounds like you are on the right track, both are reported to be excellent planes. fifty thousand people can't be wrong right? Personally I don't care for powered gliders. I also prefer planes with landing gear and a steerable tail/nose wheel as I find half the fun to be taking off and landing. Spot landings and landing competitions with my friends are fun. My first plane was a powered glider much like a bixler/axn etc. but it had little wheels for landing and taking off. My second plane was a Hobbyzone SuperCub LP and I had much more fun with it. I also have skis, floats, many many mods on it but it's been a fantastic plane. Most of my friends have also learned on the cubs with great success.

If you have a good five acres cleared you should be good with any of these planes. If you have an opening in the trees that you can use to shoot long approaches through it will really help you out. Otherwise trying to dive down into the clearing will increase your speed and you'll use most of your clearing trying to slow down again. It will just take more practice. Something like a soccer field will make a much better place to learn and make it a lot more relaxing experience.

I will second the recommendation of finding someone in your area who flies and using similar radio gear. It will help you with the buddy box option but the more important thing is all the first hand knowledge they will be able to share about your system and how to best use it.

My friends that do FPV are getting over two miles with a pretty simple setup using Futaba equipment. I believe he has a Futaba 8C radio with no mods flying his quad copter and he's going well over a mile with it. Last I heard he had hit 11,000 feet horizontal distance.

I fly Spektrum and love it. I don't do any FPV though so I cannot tell you anything about it.

I always encourage people that are wanting to learn to seek out a local club and visit with it's members. You may just find the right person to take you under their wing and teach you without all the hard lessons most of us endure. There's really no better way to find out what works than to go see it first hand. It saves you money as well lol. Talk to your local hobby shops and they can almost always point you in the right direction to find a club and flying field. There's also a link to a club finder on the AMA website.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I'd love to have a 5 acre backyard... Damn the 'burbs... You can fly pretty much whatever you like in that space. I like both the Bixler and AXN. If I didn't have plans for FPV I'd have an AXN, which is a little (but not a lot) sportier. They're roughly the same price and only really seperated by slight differences in range of functions.

That said, I agree with AK that taking off and landing on wheels is FUN. I'm still a fan of the traditional style high wing trainer like the SuperCub and Tuff Trainer etc.

squishy

Pirate ParkFlyer
scratch building a fpv platform in a few months time without any experience in the hobby? That's just about impossible...learn to build and fly 1st, it may take a while, then worry about fpv...