Need help with my component list (first time scratch builder)

Tally Reign

Sorry if I didn't get this in the correct forum section, I asked so many different questions I couldn't decide where it belonged.

TL;DR:
1) My end goal is to scratch build FPV platforms, need help picking components that will be up to that task.
2) My current budget (around $300 US) has to cover all electronics needed to get me in the air, so TX/RX, esc, servos, motor, batteries, charger/balancer (FPV gear will come later and airframe material is cheap enough to omit).
3) I'm not looking for 3d capability and it doesn't need to be terribly fast.
4) Any suggestions/help/opinions are appreciated!

---Warning! Life Story Follows---
Hi Everybody! I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I've wanted to get into this hobby since I was a little kid, and finally have the time (money, not so much) to really give it a go. Two years ago I bought myself a HobbyZone Champ on the advice of my LHS guy, and am glad I did! Starting on 3ch seemed less than glamorous, but was definitely a big help. I've also been flying the stuffing out of the copy of RealFlight I got at the same time.

Since then I've added well over 10 grams of CA to the AUW of my Champ through lots of 'unplanned landings' and mod attempts (Homemade floats were an outright failure, Junkers flaps and leading edge slats did weird things to the
handling though it's most likely due to my shoddy and thoroughly non-uniform craftsmanship, the 808 keychain camera was a tad on the heavy side but workable, if you got it perfectly on the CG), I'm getting bored with it. In a happy coincidence, my latest drill pay hit my account yesterday, and for once it doesn't have to go straight to bills! This means I've got about $300 to use to get me started.

I've tried to do as much reading articles/forum posts here and on rcgroups as I could in an attempt to sort this stuff out myself, but now my head is swimming with way too much data for me to process, so I'm hoping yall experienced folks can sort me out. Here's what's in my hobbyking cart so far:

-1 x Turnigy 9x mode 2 with module (Want the Taranis, but it breaks the bank)
-1 x 1500 mAh LiFe battery (for 9x battery mod)
-1 x 9x Green DIY Backlight kit
-1 x Plush 40A ESC
-1 x Turnigy BESC Programming Card
-1 x D3536 910kV motor
-1 x SmartieParts 9x Programming board

Add in some assorted connectors and heatshrink and other piddly stuff and we're sitting at about $160 (before shipping), and that's where I really start to need help. Assume I'm starting from the ground up here, no tools (have pliers, screwdrivers, and the ever-essential hammer), what am I missing? Is there stuff I don't need/should modify listed already?

I don't know squat about motors. I looked for one whose specs showed >1000g thrust at <500W, figuring that would get my planned plane airborne pretty well but not be overkill. Does the one I've got listed work for that? (I'm thinking an easy flyer, size-wise no larger than a Bixler, weight-wise <1000g, probably more in the 600-800g range, but I won't know for sure until I build the dang thing, and I'm trying to build it based on the components I get! Too chicken and egg?)

Then of course there are the battery questions: ideally I'm shooting for around a half hour of flight time per battery, figuring on at least 2 batteries. Recommendations? I also need a way to charge/balance all these batteries, and again I have zero experience in this department.

I could keep reading the rest of the evening and buy this stuff based on my own opinions, but I'd really prefer to listen to voices of reason/experience for once in my life and try to get this right, or close to right, and be a first-time-Go. If you've got any advice about the stuff I'm already looking at or should look at instead, or any answers to the questions I posed, I'm all ears.

I chose the Flite Test forums because yall are overall much more tolerant of n00b questions, especially when there is tons of pre-existing information on the topic. I've seen way too many threads on rcgroups where someone posts these kinds of questions and gets flamed into oblivion for "not doing their reading". Plus I like Flite Test a lot (I often sit at my desk pressing 'Refresh' for hours on Mondays and Wednesdays), so it seemed like a no-brainer to join this community.

Thanks to everyone who bothered to read this far, doubly to anyone who responds!

P.S. This was the short version. It took me three whole re-writes and four edits to get the post this short. The first version was more than twice as long as this. I'll have to work on my verbosity!

As a parting gift here's a shot of my Champ as it sits now, begging for some TLC and more flying:
Battered Champ.jpg

Tally Reign

Annnd of course went through all that effort and immediately realized I probably should've posted this under the Flite School section *facepalm*

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor...Funfly_Aerobatic_EPP_Airplane_840mm_ARF_.html might be a good next step for you. You won't need the 3536 motor for this but a smaller 28xx series motor and only a 30A ESC. Check the specs for necessaries...
This one will take you right up to 3D flying but should be a nice docile flyer for tooling around the park if you want. so a couple of servo's, a battery and the changes I listed above should get you in the air if this plane speaks to you.

And Welcome to the forum finally!

You also asked about ancillary equipment. A decent charger is a must. One that is programmable and gives you stats on battery parameters like individual cel voltages and total mAh put into the battery on the charge cycle is good. Something like http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor..._6_50W_6A_Balancer_Charger_w_accessories.html
Battery selection is more of a particular airframe selection. If you are looking for longevity of flight-time, Higher mAh batteries are called for but those are heavier. This will need to be balanced with airframe consideration involved. The larger motor you have selected is pretty large for the size you have specified above.

Other tools that might be helpful are a decent soldering iron, hot glue gun for fast repairs or building. Hobby knife or utility knife and blades. Props...lots and lots of props!

Last edited:

Tally Reign

Xuzme, thanks for the response and the welcome! After reading your reply, then going back and re-reading a bunch of the beginner threads on rcgroups (like How to choose a power system), I followed your advice on the smaller motor and the accucell charger. This is what my order ended up looking like (the US warehouse was out of a few things I initially priced, but on the whole it was within +/- $5 after shipping, and now I should get my toys in a week or so rather than 3 weeks):
20130930 Actual Initial HK Order.JPG

I'll be sure to update how things progress.

Last edited:

wrench797

I second the Turnigy Accucell charger reccomendation. I just got mine (along with all my other gear) and I think it works great. You WILL need a power supply for the charger though. I got one on clearance at my local Radio Shack even though the clerk said they didn't have any with the required volatage and amperage so you may have to look at the specs on the box if you buy local. The only other thing I see on you list that made me raise an eyebrow was the 8x4R props. Are you building a twin with counter rotating props or did you (like I almost did) accidently click on the first set of 8x4 props on the list? Other than that, welcome to the group. These are some great folks on this board and they put up with my noob questions so don't think twice about asking anything.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
It was probably 6 for $3 that caught his eye, but not to worry. Those can still be used if the motor rotation is reversed by swapping any 2 of the 3 motor leads. Always make sure the raised lettering on the props faces the direction of flight and the motor spins in the correct direction to make the prop move the air so that it moves the plane through the air.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
That and the 6/$3 props are like candy -- give it to your plane and it'll and look away and it'll eat it before you look back.

Those sets look like a great deal on HK's site, but most of them are super fragile. No worries -- they'll work, but use landing gear and don't let them touch the ground . . . you'll get at least 6 flights until you can get a nicer regular rotation props to replace them ;)

Tally Reign

Wrench, Xuzme, and Craftydan thanks for the replies!

Wrench, I'll definitely keep that in mind when I go look for the power supply. I'm usually loathe to ask sales people for help with anything anyway, so I'll make sure to do my reading on the charger specs and find an appropriate power supply.

The 8x4 props are supposedly a set of 3 regular rotation and 3R. It was the most cost-effective way to get an 8x4 prop that was in-stock from the US warehouse. I figured worst-case, the 3R ones sit in my box of spare parts (it's a theoretical box at this point, this is my first parts order so I guess I need to designate a "Spare Parts" box), or I can always do as Xuzme suggested and reverse the motor. I sorta figured I'd be making a high wing pusher initially anyhow, but I'll definitely take your advice Craftydan and make sure I baby those props.

Thanks again yall!

Royall

Funny, looking at your order was almost like looking at the order I made! Only, the order was made on the 5th, shipped the 12th and will take 6-8 weeks via usps parcel post :(

RoyBro

Mentor
I'll have to work on my verbosity!

Your verbosity is just fine. It's brevity that you need to work on. :D

The order looks good. Makes me want to place an order myself. Of course waking up in the morning makes me want to do that as well.

Tally Reign

Funny, looking at your order was almost like looking at the order I made! Only, the order was made on the 5th, shipped the 12th and will take 6-8 weeks via usps parcel post

Well if it makes you feel any better, I'm regretting paying the extra for "quicker" shipping. I completely changed my original order so that I could specifically get stuff from the US warehouse (HK one is having issues shipping lipos), also thinking that it would help my order get here sooner. It took the warehouse 7 full days to process my order, the website just listed it as "Printed for packaging". I finally got the "Your order has shipped!" email this past Monday, with a blank tracking number so I can't see where it is, and I paid extra for 5-6 day shipping. Of course there's the whole Federal holiday thing this Monday, so if it's not here on Tuesday I'm going to be pretty ticked off...

The order looks good. Makes me want to place an order myself. Of course waking up in the morning makes me want to do that as well.

I completely understand the "wake up, what can I order today?" syndrome. It's been getting steadily worse every day that my original order hasn't arrived. I've stocked up on hot glue and foam board, piano wire and carbon rods. The only thing I can currently think of that I need at this point is a soldering station. I've got one of those dinky irons that plugs straight into the wall with no temp control. Oh, and of course I need my order to get here! :mad: