need help

11thACR

Ok now i'm at that point again HELP. I have the plane all cut out and partly built( cub ). now comes the fun part, I want to order the motor and electronics but I don't know where to turn to, or what I need. Some motors are out runners and others are not? I know I need an ESC but how big. The wing span is 56" and the body is 40" DTFB, I took wheels from an old car that I had around, 2 1/4" Diameter tires, 3/16 shaft sealed bearings. Also what size prop is needed, going to run only ailerons and tail stabilizer and Rutter. This is my first flying build so I guess you can say i'm lost and not even out of the hanger yet

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I use an NTM 28-30 1200(ish) kV outrunner with a 30 Amp ESC. 9 gram servos should work fine if you don't REALLY push the airplane. Hope this helps.

twistedsteelpony

I'm not extremely experienced but ill try to pass on what I've been taught. Or at least what's proven true for me.
find your prop size. If you built from plans they should at least give you a diameter as a cub and a trainer you want a slow flyer. So pitch should be low. Less than five
btw a propeller is sized usually in inches in two numbers
ex 10-4.7
10 is diameter and 4.7 is pitch.
most motor manufactures will recommend certain prop sizes for their motors.
and those same manufactures should yell you expected amperage for each prop size. Use that number to choose a speed controller. Speed controllers work best when running at lower than rated amps so if you need 19 amps. A 25 amp speed controller is probably a better choice than a 20 amp. For any plane to fly
finding a hobby shop near you is an excellent way to find matching components and all the little things you might forget. Prop adaptors and motor mounts and servo extensions.
for servos... the extremely affordable micro servos like 9g hxt andothers are really quite nice. They work on so many things its hard to say anything bad except that they break easier in crashes. So you May want to pick up a few extra. A bit like propellors
Also the small things like control wires and horns. Had me scratching my head.
ft elements are great.
floss-picks work well
I make my own because I have access to tools. Easier than spending money.
I found a neat option for wire and linkage adjustability
buy replacement linkage packs for things like the parking t28
They are a few bucks. Like three really!
And the come with several lengths of rod with z bend and a threaded end with a Clevis
you can shorten them to a custom length with a new z bend

11thACR

I'm not extremely experienced but ill try to pass on what I've been taught. Or at least what's proven true for me.
find your prop size. If you built from plans they should at least give you a diameter as a cub and a trainer you want a slow flyer. So pitch should be low. Less than five
btw a propeller is sized usually in inches in two numbers
ex 10-4.7
10 is diameter and 4.7 is pitch.
most motor manufactures will recommend certain prop sizes for their motors.
and those same manufactures should yell you expected amperage for each prop size. Use that number to choose a speed controller. Speed controllers work best when running at lower than rated amps so if you need 19 amps. A 25 amp speed controller is probably a better choice than a 20 amp. For any plane to fly
finding a hobby shop near you is an excellent way to find matching components and all the little things you might forget. Prop adaptors and motor mounts and servo extensions.
for servos... the extremely affordable micro servos like 9g hxt andothers are really quite nice. They work on so many things its hard to say anything bad except that they break easier in crashes. So you May want to pick up a few extra. A bit like propellors
Also the small things like control wires and horns. Had me scratching my head.
ft elements are great.
floss-picks work well
I make my own because I have access to tools. Easier than spending money.
I found a neat option for wire and linkage adjustability
buy replacement linkage packs for things like the parking t28
They are a few bucks. Like three really!
And the come with several lengths of rod with z bend and a threaded end with a Clevis
you can shorten them to a custom length with a new z bend

thanks that helps a lot i'm 70 miles from the nearest shop but i get near them from time to time

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
The prop determines the motor, which determines the ESC, which is all driven by a battery. Almost all manufacturers include specs. You want an outrunner motor, not inrunner.