Need some advice for a first 450 build

el_jefe

Hello gang! Love the show and I've been lurking around the forum for a while. I've finally decided to take the plunge and join the forum and also do my first build.

I've already done quite some research, but I'd appreciate it if you could have a look and give me some advice/suggestions.

I am interested in building a 450 class trainer for about 400€ - 450€. From what I understand the 450s are the sweetspot between speed/agility and stability.

I want to use the quad to learn to fly and upgrade it to start learning FPV. The ultimate goal is to build a hex/octa in the near future and use it FPV for aerial photography / video. I have no problem with soldering and putting things together. I am also very technical and a very fast learner. The only limitation is that I don't have a dedicated workshop and I don't have a ton of tools. So I wouldn't be able to cut my own frame or do anything that requires power tools (other than a Dremel maybe). I am an absolute beginner. Just got a Syma x5c and started learning a couple of days ago.

I have researched a whole setup already. Here it is, take a look and let me know what you think and what you'd change:

Google Spreadsheet

I am based in Germany. I would prefer local (German suppliers), but I wouldn't mind ordering overseas if the prices in Germany are way too high or the parts are simply not available in Germany. A good example is the Pixhawk, which can't be found under 230€ in Germany, but is available for 170€ shipped from Bang Good.

All this started with my decision to do some serious areal photography / videography using some kind of a UAV. I've checked out the Phantom 3 and the 3DR Solo, of course, but I would prefer to build my own for several reasons:

• I like building my own stuff.
  • I would like to be able to fix my equipment myself when I break it (which I absolutely surely will).
  • I would like to be able to fix my equipment myself when I break it (which I absolutely surely will).
  • I want to be able to tailor it to my specific needs.
  • I would like to get some experience and eventually build something that can carry a DSLR or at least a nice mirrorless camera.

I've been learning on the Syma x5c for the last couple of days and I realized that learning to fly a quad/hex/octa to the point where I would be able to do it FPV and risk strapping one of my 3k-4k cameras on, or a least a nice 1k-2k mirrorless, will take a lot of training and it doesn't make sense to immediately sink a large lump of cash in it and crash and burn in no time. So I would like to build a decent 450 class to learn on, that I wouldn't mind killing and fixing a couple of times. I'm figuring 450€ should go a long way + another 150€-200€ to fix it after crashing it several times.

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

ExperimentalRC

That looks like a good first build. The frame looks like it comes with nylon spacers, so the other ones would not be needed. The other nylon spacers on the list would be to long anyway.

jipp

will this be your first quad? if so may i recommend you pick up a blade nano qx, or a hudson? it will save you so much money right up front.
its was the best 70.00 i spent. unfortunately i have finally total mine.. after more crashes than i would like to admit. i will use the spare parts for some kind of build later on with the parts that are still good. anyhow, i miss the nano so much i will be ordering another one next month. just nice to fly inside the house for practice.

anyhow, just a suggestion.. good luck on your build. and
welcome to the forum.
chris.

el_jefe

will this be your first quad? if so may i recommend you pick up a blade nano qx, or a hudson? it will save you so much money right up front.

Hey Chris, thanks for you reply! As I wrote above, I am currently playing with a Syma x5c, which is pretty much the same as the Blade Nano QX, just bigger, same as a 250 class. It's great fun and since I work at home, I can fly around the house during my breaks :)

However, I want to eventually move to something bigger that I can build myself and that can carry a small camera to begin with and eventually a bigger camera.

jipp

oh, i missed syma.. i agree.. good luck in your build.. sorry for yet again failing at reading.. not sure how i miss such.. i guess its how my brain only reads every other word or something.. shrugs..

anyhow, welcome to the forum .. lots of great advice to be had here.. :)

i started with the nano qx, then a ZMR 250.. my next build will be at 280mm.. then i plan on going to a 450 size... as i am interested in AP too.

chris.

el_jefe

i started with the nano qx, then a ZMR 250.. my next build will be at 280mm.. then i plan on going to a 450 size... as i am interested in AP too.
chris.

How much did your ZMR 250 set you back? My 450 is growing in price quickly and I'm starting to consider a simple 250 build as a starting point :)

jipp

hi, it was a 139.00 on ebay for the complete kit minus battery and receiver. i used a 5.00 6ch lemon reciver.. works great. i did have to buy a TX, and a battery charger and a battery.. as i am new to RC....

but for the ZMR250 carbon fiber kit i would recommend it for anyone's first build.. i learn so much from it.. it was not for this forum i would of not been able to get in this hobby as i never did RC before.

i would recommend it as a first build.

do a search for ZMR250 kit on ebay.. look for one with emax 2204 motors, and emax Simon series 12a esc. that is a great starting point that is for sure.

chris.

Last edited: