Need some help

FlyIL

I'm trying to test a drone my son built about 3 years ago. When I connect the drone to the baterry it does all the bipping the props also move a bit.. I then turn on the conroller and they synchronise (the light on the reciever turns stady). When I move the throtle, nothing happens. when I move one of the switches on the controller, a light on the drone blinks. Anyone has any idea if what am I doing?
Thanks!
A movie showing what I did can be found here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QfhkpST3sX5bVHvhUe8ktz6a3zC-BfM6/view?usp=sharing

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Welcome to the forums.

Ok several questions and thanks for the video up front. Sometimes helping the people asking for help can be like pulling teeth.

First I will say in "Most" cases you want to power on the radio first. that way it has control from the start. if you don't then is a good possibility the quad will jump up and try to eat your face. Second.. NEVER and I do mean NEVER... power up a quad copter in your house with the props on. soooo many bad things can go wrong. We dont want our family members to look like this before they come here for help. (or after for that matter)

Ground face.jpg

Now for the questions. I think I already know some answers but for the thread I will ask anyways.

1. what Flight controller is in it? It looks like an old KK2 maybe? and what radio is that?
2. If its not a KK2 what is it and what software is it running? Betaflight?, older Clean flight, still older Multi wii? You may have to ask your son for all that.
3. Do you know if your son set up an arm switch or is it still defaulted to use stick commands to arm? Again you may have to ask him.

FlyIL

Welcome to the forums.

Ok several questions and thanks for the video up front. Sometimes helping the people asking for help can be like pulling teeth.

First I will say in "Most" cases you want to power on the radio first. that way it has control from the start. if you don't then is a good possibility the quad will jump up and try to eat your face. Second.. NEVER and I do mean NEVER... power up a quad copter in your house with the props on. soooo many bad things can go wrong. We dont want our family members to look like this before they come here for help. (or after for that matter)

View attachment 191721

Now for the questions. I think I already know some answers but for the thread I will ask anyways.

1. what Flight controller is in it? It looks like an old KK2 maybe? and what radio is that?
2. If its not a KK2 what is it and what software is it running? Betaflight?, older Clean flight, still older Multi wii? You may have to ask your son for all that.
3. Do you know if your son set up an arm switch or is it still defaulted to use stick commands to arm? Again you may have to ask him.
Thank you for your prompt reply and important advise.
I don't know much about whay you asked but I'll try to provide all the details:
The transmitter is MicroZone MC6A (https://www.centuryuk.com/RC-Radio-...-MC6A-Transmitter-and-Receiver-Package-Mode-2). I couldn't find which software it runs and my son doesn't know.
The reciever is MicroZone E6-A (https://www.centuryuk.com/RC-Radio-Equipment/Receivers/19379-/USE-1MCE6a)
As far as my son remembers, he didn't set up an arm switch. I also looked for one and tried all switches on the controller with no success.

FlyIL

It looks like I found the problem. I tried to flash the flight controller and the software says "No response from the bootloader". I tried different USB cables to make sure its the conroller and not someting else. I need to replace the controller

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ok so it is a 6 channel system which is ok 4 for controls, an arm switch and a mode switch.

Naze32 is old but still an ok flight controller. Thats what I started on 6 years ago. You definitely need to boot the radio first. Depending how your son set it up it could have switches set up for arming and modes. He will have to remember what he programed the controller with either Clean flight (which would be my guess) or upgraded to betaflight.

In either case here are the basic stick commands that work with either software. PLEASE remove the props until we can be certain of its set up and it operates correctly. These can be great fun but the can also be flying vegomatics of deaths if they are not.

With props OFF!!! Boot your radio THEN plug in the battery to the quad. Wait for it to initialize with the beeps and bleeps and prop twitches. Then try arming it using the stick command in this picture. DO NOT do anything after that until we can confirm what it has been programmed with for safety please.

cleanflight-stickpositions.png

FlyIL

Ok so it is a 6 channel system which is ok 4 for controls, an arm switch and a mode switch.

Naze32 is old but still an ok flight controller. Thats what I started on 6 years ago. You definitely need to boot the radio first. Depending how your son set it up it could have switches set up for arming and modes. He will have to remember what he programed the controller with either Clean flight (which would be my guess) or upgraded to betaflight.

In either case here are the basic stick commands that work with either software. PLEASE remove the props until we can be certain of its set up and it operates correctly. These can be great fun but the can also be flying vegomatics of deaths if they are not.

With props OFF!!! Boot your radio THEN plug in the battery to the quad. Wait for it to initialize with the beeps and bleeps and prop twitches. Then try arming it using the stick command in this picture. DO NOT do anything after that until we can confirm what it has been programmed with for safety please.

View attachment 191726
Thanks again.
You don't think I need to replace the flight controller if the boatloader dosn't work? doesn't it indicate that the flight controller isn't working properlly?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Boot loader comes into play if trying to flash the chip. to change settings you dont need to go into the boot loader mode which BTW requires you to shunt two pads to allow it to communicate with the boot loader.

As for changing the FC upgrading to newer would most certainly help and make it fly better. It would also allow us to help you better as most of us have forgot the quirks and tricks for them older FC's. I dont usually suggest upgrading as everyones financial situation is different.

what are you trying to connect to it with? clean flight or betaflight?

FlyIL

Boot loader comes into play if trying to flash the chip. to change settings you dont need to go into the boot loader mode which BTW requires you to shunt two pads to allow it to communicate with the boot loader.

As for changing the FC upgrading to newer would most certainly help and make it fly better. It would also allow us to help you better as most of us have forgot the quirks and tricks for them older FC's. I dont usually suggest upgrading as everyones financial situation is different.

what are you trying to connect to it with? clean flight or betaflight?
Cleanflight

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
why are you trying to flash it? Was it not set up before?

flashing writes new programming to the memory.
If you are not flashing you can connect direct to change any setting thru the gui to set it up, tune it, or adjust things like setting up switches and modes without connecting thru the boot loader.

FlyIL

why are you trying to flash it? Was it not set up before?

flashing writes new programming to the memory.
If you are not flashing you can connect direct to change any setting thru the gui to set it up, tune it, or adjust things like setting up switches and modes without connecting thru the boot loader.
It doesn't work for me. I don't have any option in the GUI except flashing the firmware.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Are you clicking the connect button at the top of the screen? Also does it show a proper com port? If not you may have to reload drivers

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I am in the middle of cooking dinner and getting ready to watch the super bowl...

Here is a link to one of the better you tube Rc guys playlist for setting up Clean flight. Go thru those and see where they take you. Its easier then typing every step and all that. I will check in later in the evening to catch up on your progress. If your not still on or around I can catch up and we can continue tomorrow.

this is the 5th in the series and the start of the flight controller / radio stuff. I think it goes on into part 6 and 7 to complete the process.

FlyIL

I am in the middle of cooking dinner and getting ready to watch the super bowl...

Here is a link to one of the better you tube Rc guys playlist for setting up Clean flight. Go thru those and see where they take you. Its easier then typing every step and all that. I will check in later in the evening to catch up on your progress. If your not still on or around I can catch up and we can continue tomorrow.

this is the 5th in the series and the start of the flight controller / radio stuff. I think it goes on into part 6 and 7 to complete the process.

Thansk and good luck to your team (if they made it to the Super Bowl)! It's past midnight here so we'll talk tomorrow.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Nope my Steelers did not make it. I am only watching in hopes Tom Brady gets waffle stomped and the Chiefs make him cry again