Needing input from FT crew to save a business!!

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
So, for years now Aerodrome RC has been a supplier of some of THE finest laser-cut kits available for WWI era aircraft. They are superbly designed with scale accuracy and have a community with some of the finest builds I have EVER seen. Kay Bengston is wonderful to deal with and the nicest person. Customer service sets the industry bar very high. I could go on and on but to the point...

Her laser cutter (rather old) has put her cutting down to zero. This company has significantly contributed to the scale community. See the thread here:
http://www.aerodromerc.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1386887322
FT crew: can you comment on your sourcing of your laser cutter and discuss some problems you have had with it and resolutions you have experienced?

See below of my VERY RARELY modeled O-1 Tummelisa (Sweden). Only supplier of this flying kit that I have found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oJDusvSBNY

Please do what you can to help out this exceptional company!

RoyBro

Mentor
You may want to send this message via the Store feedback email, or Facebook. The guys just don't have time to read every post on the forums anymore, so your plea is likely to get missed if this is the only place you post it.

Chad does keep up with the Ask Chad thread. But the rest of the forum is more of a members helping members situation.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Not knowing their specifics, but being a small business owner myself, if you rely on a piece of equipment to run your operation, you find a way to repair or replace said equipment. As a small business, they could get an American Express card and buy another laser cutter.

What it really sounds like is that this Kay Bengston person is older and is tired of running the business and this is the perfect time to retire...

...and after reading the first post (which is on page two lol) that's exactly what she says!

Last edited:

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
What it really sounds like is that this Kay Bengston person is older and is tired of running the business and this is the perfect time to retire...

...and after reading the first post (which is on page two lol) that's exactly what she says!

This sounds like an opportunity to try to buy an established business and turn a hobby into a career.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Not knowing their specifics, but being a small business owner myself, if you rely on a piece of equipment to run your operation, you find a way to repair or replace said equipment. As a small business, they could get an American Express card and buy another laser cutter.

Thanks, Monkey, I hadn't read the other thread. Wish I had the cash to get a laser cutter. I'd love to have one and I'm sure I could find a way to make some extra money with it.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Yeah, Her age and poor eyesight is a big factor. Getting the repair is an issue, recharging the laser tube is another, declining sales, etc etc. She has good reasons. After her statement that she is not willing to sell the rights to the plans is sort of the nail in the coffin. Her emotional attachment to the art form seems the major factor. I get that. I've looked into a digital download of her plans and she says no due to abuse. There are options out there for that kind of security but honestly the cost is as much as a new laser cutter. The subject I've modeled is very rare. In fact she was the only provider for a flyable kit. Glad I have the plans. I need to get them scanned in case they somehow get destroyed, heaven forbid.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Talks of a "fire sale" on plans. I'll post here when I find out. If you are into WWI models these are THE plans to get.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
It's on! Here is the quote...

Okay, I can see that there is enough interest that I will commit to the 24 hour sale. It will start tonight at 6PM Pacific time and run till 6PM Thursday. Go to the web site and select the plans and click buy. You will be taken to the shopping cart just as before. As before, I don't charge credit cards until shipping and the cart does not contact your bank about the transaction. I do that manually when I have the product packed. I have always done it that way. Paypal orders are immediate but I keep the funds at Paypal until I ship then I transfer them so if I need to refund an order, you get it right away.

Thank you for your support. I am beginning to think that there might be more orders than I anticipated. It could be a busy time here at the shop with paper everywhere! Wink BTW, you get neoprene tire material cut to length too.

Kay