• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

So, You Want to Build Your First Balsa Plane? Start HERE!

Turbojoe

I wouldn't call it polluting exactly - just redirecting the flow of information over the banks a bit :)
Yeah, that's it! :)

Maybe we should ask for the 3D printing questions to be removed? They could confuse newbies that read the thread for its original intent. I feel bad for dragging it off topic.

Joe

RCman50

family, faith, foam, fun!
Hey Joker and fellow FT'ers,
Was wondering if this thread has any additional info elsewhere? I am having a he?% of a time trying to put the covering (aerolite) on my dandy fuse. I haven't even tried the wing yet. I'm getting very deterred and don't want this thing shelved because I have other kits to build and love the building process. It keeps sticking together i used a towel to help stop static. I tried to hold the side I wasn't using with pins but it just tore. Any advice? Is the fuse all supposed to be one piece or do you do it in sides or pieces? I'm ready to paint it like the instructions call out and move on but I want it to look awesome not just ok. And I have the patience I'm just affraid of running out of covering, I have 1 full roll, and a trim pack of a different color. Tried uploading pic but cant I'll try again.
Thanks,
Dustin

Turbojoe

Get out the baby powder. Remove the clear layer from the covering. Lay out the piece you'll be applying. Sprinkle baby powder on the adhesive side and smear it around with your fingers until the whole piece feels silky smooth. Now wipe it off with a paper towel and iron it on. It won't stick together unless you hit it with heat. The baby powder won't affect adhesion either. I've been using this method with SoLite for years. Don't try to use one big piece on the fuse. Use one piece for each flat area and overlap the edges just slightly.

Joe

RCman50

Ah ha!! Thank you so much turbojoe. I've been trying one piece and its a nightmare. Will try and report back.
Thank you so much
Dustin

RCman50

Thanks turbojoe, i wont get to attempt another try at a cover job until later tonight or tomorrow morning. Fathers day function with family. Happy early Father's Day to all the balsa building Fathers out there.
Dustin

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I'm finally getting off my butt and trying to complete what I started. :rolleyes: 3 of the first 4 posts I did are now fairly complete, with 1 left to go. Then, this may finally be worthy of being a sticky in the balsa forum! :)

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Thanks to the admins for sticky-a-fying this thread, hopefully it helps others in the future get back to the building roots with balsa. My plan is to still go back occasionally and add/change those first posts in an attempt to keep links working, keep the info relevant, etc.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I may have posted this info in the past, but a reminder is always good when it comes to quality building tools. Fourmost Products makes some very useful tools, as shown below. I've had their Miter Saw and Miter Sander for a few years, and today I saw their Miter Cut at a swap meet and jumped on it. For $5.00 it's WAY below retail price, and other than being slightly discolored it was in great shape. It uses a standard razor blade and works as a chop-saw, perfect for cutting smaller sticks. These tools run somewhere around $25-30/each, and as people move away from balsa builds to the (b)ARFs they may make their way to swap meets more often, so keep your eyes open! :)

thumbnail_IMG_8316.jpg

The Miter Saw is the most useful of the 3 tools (in my opinion), and it sees a lot of action on my balsa builds.

thumbnail_IMG_8317.jpg

The Miter Sander isn't quite as useful (again just my opinion), but still sees it's share of action.

thumbnail_IMG_8318.jpg