So, You Want to Build Your First Balsa Plane? Start HERE!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Trying to figure out my next balsa build... relatively new to balsa and don't know a hole lot..... looking for something electric in the 60-30 inch wing span range.
any help would be appreciated!! šŸ˜

I've got a list of all the active balsa manufactuers I've found over here https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/balsa-kit-manufacturers.35042/ to help you out.

Since you're still new-ish to balsa, I'd suggest still looking for a laser cut kit so there is less futzing around with pieces that almost but don't quite fit the plan :)

I'd suggest something like one of these...

https://www.radicalrc.com/item/Radical-RC-Intern-66-103668
https://www.radicalrc.com/item/Radical-RC-Stick-600-103882
http://lainesplanes.com/html/lp_2.html
http://oldschoolmodels.com/sr40.htm

Any of those catch your eye? Something you're interested in from a performance or design perspective?

Ducky84

For those of us with laser cutters, is there a repository for plans online for some of these beginner kits? Similar to how Flitetest provides plans for the foamboard kits?

floatyflyer

Has anyone here built the Willy Nillies J3 Cub 250? Iā€™m a semi-novice pilot but Iā€™m guessing I could handle a cub and Iā€™ve always wanted one! I havenā€™t built balsa before but Iā€™ve built a handful of foam board airplanes and Iā€™m definitely not afraid of a little bit of a challenge. From what I see balsa planes can look much nicer and last much longer than foam board!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I have heard that cub is a good build and yes, balsa is the best as it last forever and flight is great. Just dont crash...

witz.dan

For those of us with laser cutters, is there a repository for plans online for some of these beginner kits? Similar to how Flitetest provides plans for the foamboard kits?

Hey Ducky,
I just started researching laser cutters for just this reason. But man a lot of info out there. Wondering if you could share what cutter you have and any experiences/advice for those of us interested in getting into laser cutting?

Thanks
Dan

kilroy07

Legendary member
Hey Ducky,
I just started researching laser cutters for just this reason. But man a lot of info out there. Wondering if you could share what cutter you have and any experiences/advice for those of us interested in getting into laser cutting?

Thanks
Dan
I have a system like this;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254782925205?epid=5045311936&_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item3b523ee995:g:eNUAAOSwLE5gcAYg&amdata=enc:AQAGAAACkPYe5NmHp%2B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSg3Ye8yTWgOW7pmE1t838dsnIr%2F9xZYVCWslGzw4EOJUWvw8NCTDzkUD%2B4%2FHfP96v%2B5r0o9s0cB8Mnz9OQgrE84Hy02lLPVMLfAVLDmBw03lrIJiQxfsKpn4rB5cmzhw9KP8cW8VCNT6LcpSWo5pZBINZe4pD7YsifKX5rWiGiIUAAwKa89LRUT3RLSkmeqKxCeC8%2BzpfXmEOl50KpQJwRL%2BRK9l0pgrw%2Bh7tF75S7DT2Bu8VSajkfwXJnEtgKxbuoJ3RRGOm3klX3A46uK5TQ1iIDmB78iuOmEe77ztSp6cxF1MBoUok%2FxFTpzEs0%2FdXqdwSI0h%2FBTP3HDSBn1LnDze53Z1K6dBrMamoihMACmsKYxlFklS5H1nEPaqIUlBvMyu2C6Vbexd%2BmtR32Il0vOQdqj1ca3avZOlpIdK%2FSoLOTWRklGn9tBbH1ecLIPPC48apOXSSF62JPUiRsFWPiGRho0p158pBZsk01dvjfUzAHTFUOguMX2yKTeFIe8anRKpzJHyDcHFAvlBhtIuz4Q6g5fq6xi%2FSysYRHUjY%2BbsYjjMdpjfAvIePIplXuJRnJfJNwzRK%2FOLA8qtO5h8L6xMRG8SD2p4Rt4QreCD4E7%2Fl%2Be6tcsKbCoEmO6y8mB%2F%2FMQBniLjDNnBRyDL7e8pXxbJ2RD11tPG5sOUJLOVj5ymNf4DAyAdfJ2iy%2B%2FHVRZEnCrrr%2BSPYA5O5GbhERZxNPUKKl2iDLzJMMtlTRZn2%2FHygS7uLdOQALefA%2FJQ%2BPcHw6a5HbDufx5O0To4SLKQBXMA22bXTOujFo7aqplUdXQEE6gMys5R3UN1P5v1Kq9tc|ampid:pL_CLK|clp:2334524
Not this particular one, but they are mostly the same...
One note the "60Watt" machines are usually 40w tubes over driven to 60... I have a true 60W installed now.

Depending on how handy you are and how much you want to invest will determine your path with lasers.
If you love to tinker and kitbash, have installed firmware and aren't afraid to bust that warranty sticker, you might want to search "K40 laser" on Ebay. You might be able to get one sub $200.
That said, limited working area. Bad software and okay firmware and hardware (some are better than others) are a limitation with these machines.
Good news there are several good communities to help take the K40 and make it a decent machine.

If you have the funds, I suggest looking into something like I posted (shop around, that was JUST the first one that looked like mine...)
Much better hardware, usable software and MORE than enough power...

You will want to be well versed in a CAD package and inkscape helps to take PDFs and turn them into DXF files (which the cutting software reads.) I might also suggest a dedicated computer as (at least in my case) it runs best on windows 7 (gotta love those crazy Chinese!)

If you have any specific questions, I'll try to help.

I almost forgot, Welcome to the forums/family!!

witz.dan

I have a system like this;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254782925205?epid=5045311936&_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item3b523ee995:g:eNUAAOSwLE5gcAYg&amdata=enc:AQAGAAACkPYe5NmHp%2B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSg3Ye8yTWgOW7pmE1t838dsnIr%2F9xZYVCWslGzw4EOJUWvw8NCTDzkUD%2B4%2FHfP96v%2B5r0o9s0cB8Mnz9OQgrE84Hy02lLPVMLfAVLDmBw03lrIJiQxfsKpn4rB5cmzhw9KP8cW8VCNT6LcpSWo5pZBINZe4pD7YsifKX5rWiGiIUAAwKa89LRUT3RLSkmeqKxCeC8%2BzpfXmEOl50KpQJwRL%2BRK9l0pgrw%2Bh7tF75S7DT2Bu8VSajkfwXJnEtgKxbuoJ3RRGOm3klX3A46uK5TQ1iIDmB78iuOmEe77ztSp6cxF1MBoUok%2FxFTpzEs0%2FdXqdwSI0h%2FBTP3HDSBn1LnDze53Z1K6dBrMamoihMACmsKYxlFklS5H1nEPaqIUlBvMyu2C6Vbexd%2BmtR32Il0vOQdqj1ca3avZOlpIdK%2FSoLOTWRklGn9tBbH1ecLIPPC48apOXSSF62JPUiRsFWPiGRho0p158pBZsk01dvjfUzAHTFUOguMX2yKTeFIe8anRKpzJHyDcHFAvlBhtIuz4Q6g5fq6xi%2FSysYRHUjY%2BbsYjjMdpjfAvIePIplXuJRnJfJNwzRK%2FOLA8qtO5h8L6xMRG8SD2p4Rt4QreCD4E7%2Fl%2Be6tcsKbCoEmO6y8mB%2F%2FMQBniLjDNnBRyDL7e8pXxbJ2RD11tPG5sOUJLOVj5ymNf4DAyAdfJ2iy%2B%2FHVRZEnCrrr%2BSPYA5O5GbhERZxNPUKKl2iDLzJMMtlTRZn2%2FHygS7uLdOQALefA%2FJQ%2BPcHw6a5HbDufx5O0To4SLKQBXMA22bXTOujFo7aqplUdXQEE6gMys5R3UN1P5v1Kq9tc|ampid:pL_CLK|clp:2334524
Not this particular one, but they are mostly the same...
One note the "60Watt" machines are usually 40w tubes over driven to 60... I have a true 60W installed now.

Depending on how handy you are and how much you want to invest will determine your path with lasers.
If you love to tinker and kitbash, have installed firmware and aren't afraid to bust that warranty sticker, you might want to search "K40 laser" on Ebay. You might be able to get one sub $200.
That said, limited working area. Bad software and okay firmware and hardware (some are better than others) are a limitation with these machines.
Good news there are several good communities to help take the K40 and make it a decent machine.

If you have the funds, I suggest looking into something like I posted (shop around, that was JUST the first one that looked like mine...)
Much better hardware, usable software and MORE than enough power...

You will want to be well versed in a CAD package and inkscape helps to take PDFs and turn them into DXF files (which the cutting software reads.) I might also suggest a dedicated computer as (at least in my case) it runs best on windows 7 (gotta love those crazy Chinese!)

If you have any specific questions, I'll try to help.

I almost forgot, Welcome to the forums/family!!

Oh man thank you so much! Wow that thing is a beast! Have seen them ranging in price from $200 and up. I donā€™t mind tinkering or having to assemble it, but I donā€™t want something where I spend more time working on it than using it. On the other side donā€™t want to go nuts on it in case I donā€™t get too into it.

So any pitfalls to look out for? Things to keep in mind when shopping? Like the try to get a 60W laser. I have CAD and Inkscape experience so that will help, and Iā€™m sure I have a Win7 machine lying around lol

Thanks again

kilroy07

Legendary member
Oh man thank you so much! Wow that thing is a beast! Have seen them ranging in price from $200 and up. I donā€™t mind tinkering or having to assemble it, but I donā€™t want something where I spend more time working on it than using it. On the other side donā€™t want to go nuts on it in case I donā€™t get too into it.

So any pitfalls to look out for? Things to keep in mind when shopping? Like the try to get a 60W laser. I have CAD and Inkscape experience so that will help, and Iā€™m sure I have a Win7 machine lying around lol

Thanks again
The one thing to really lookout for is shipping! These things are heavy (I have a story about a broken finger from mine...) they will be drop gate shipped (as in, they dump the thing in your driveway...) so plan for that.

As I said they are also a lower wattage tube overdriven (a 60 watt tube will extend out the side) but honestly, it's not a huge issue as even a 40watt will burn right through balsa.

Years ago, I started out with a K40 setup which had a U.S. made daughter-board and that helped with the software issue, it worked fine, the only issue I had was the working space. Was a bachelor again for a couple years and that granted me enough "fun money" to move up to the larger machine... Well worth it in my opinion. It will take "almost" a full sheet of foamboard, or rather a full sheet fits, it will cut all but maybe an inch off the long edge. There are only a few FT designs I cannot fit within the working area (500x700mm) and then I just add a cutting template which allows me to trim the last inch or so. If you are going to stick with smaller balsa builds, the K40 might be more than enough.

Running two passes helps with undercutting so again, under-powered laser tubes isn't an issue (just don't run them at 80%+).

If you can get a K40 for sub $200 AND want to play around a bit I say go for it. If you are really ambitious you can take the guts of the K40 and build a larger frame (aluminum extrusion or the Mostly printed CNC would work great) and expand it to a full sheet machine (watch your eye protection!!)

If however you just want to have something that works and can afford the larger machines, I say that it is sometime worth the extra cost.
(I build several 3D printers from scratch, before I just decided I wanted something that "just worked...")

Timothy

Notnewton

I just bought the same Omtech laser through Amazon and so far its great. I cut a small balsa plane to kit form in less than 10 minutes. I did spend a lot of time prepping the files though. Lightburn is also a great software addon that makes everything seem easy.

kilroy07

Legendary member
I just bought the same Omtech laser through Amazon and so far its great. I cut a small balsa plane to kit form in less than 10 minutes. I did spend a lot of time prepping the files though. Lightburn is also a great software addon that makes everything seem easy.
Yea, if you can find the plans in PDF format (vector) a lot of times you can use inkscape to save as DXF, then just move things to the correct layer/color to cut.

Unfortunately a LOT (most in fact) of the old plans are all just raster scans, so you have to digitize on top... A lot of work for sure.
The good thing is you only have to do it once.

the downside to all of this, I find I tend to be a bit more detached/invested in the planes when they only take about 20 min to cut out the whole set. (Read I tend to fly like a mad man/I stole it!) :LOL: