New build - need advice on motor/esc combo for 3D/Advanced Acro flight.

Mik3

Mr. Gee Bee
svw65on.jpg

I have designed and built several planes with foam board. So far all of them from pushers to warbirds have flown very well. However I am a huge fan of the Redbull Air-Racing and would like to build a plane that is capable of advanced aerobatic flight as well as a plane that could perform 3D maneuvers such as the "prop hang" and "blender".

Above you will see all the specs for the plane as well as the preliminary 2d CAD design. I am seeking advice as to how to choose a motor/esc/prop combo for the desired flight. I would really like to use a 3 bladed prop with the motor/esc. I am open to all recommendations. Thank you!

EDIT: OA Length is actually 33" not 30" as stated in image.

EDIT #2: Will be using 2200mah 3s Lipo. All up weight should be no more than 2lbs. Leading edge of wing to nose of fuse is roughly 8-1/2". The air frame will be made from dollar tree foam board.

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
What kind of airframe weight are you looking at?

Size (capacity and voltage) of the battery you expect?

How big is the nose (roughly)?

any particular reason you want to go three bladed?

Mik3

Mr. Gee Bee
Dan,

I updated the original post.

Will be using 2200mah 3s Lipo. All up weight should be no more than 2lbs. The bare air frame will be made from dollar tree foam board, so bare weight will be minimal. Leading edge of wing to nose of fuse is roughly 8-1/2".

I really like the aesthetic of the 3 bladed props... that's the only reason... I am not married to the idea, but it would be nice.