New charger / changing battery leads

FishingMEDIC

I ordered my plane online RTF. Little did I know, my local hobby shop doesn't carry the brand of battery, or any accessories from that manufacturer.

So $150 bucks later at the local shop and 10 minutes of work, I'm ready to rock.

( I could have just ordered everything I need for a couple bucks cheaper, but I love to support local hobby shops as they are a rare find! )

New charger
charger_zps5c2c4d3d.jpg

New battery leads ( my first time to ever solder as well )
battleads_zpsbac10e2b.jpg

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I have a motor that has 3.5mm plugs. I recently started to convert everything over to 4mm plugs. So I plugged the 3.5mm into the soldering end of the 4mm and soldered them together. lol.

Point is, it's really nice to have a universal set up for all of your electronics. Something that you use for everything. Doesn't really matter which type you go with.

Learning how to solder is a great thing to know how to do. You don't even have to be good at it for it to be good enough.

I can't tell what you have your soldered wires covered with. Heat shrink makes it look really clean and is easy to do. Electrical tape is a cheaper alternative.

FishingMEDIC

i used heat shrink, it probably looks all boogered because A: i've never soldered ANYTHING, B: I've never used heat shrink on anything. lol

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
First step is to do it! Which you've done already.
Something that might help out for future soldering adventures...

RoyBro

Mentor
I don't mean to be critical, and supporting your local hobby shop is fine. But you pretty much gave them $100. You can get a charger, power adapter and plugs for around $50 online.
Local hobby shops need to meet us half way by offering reasonably priced merchandise. I'm happy to spend a little more for the convenience of being able to walk in and get what I need. But they need to carry what I need at a price I can afford. A 300% mark up is unreasonable.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
I get props, clevises control wire, CA and stuff like that at the LHS- their markups on that stuff is good, they make money and I get stuff that I don't want to wait for.
I'll also buy plane and helis from them radio equipment and other stuff that I'd have to pay the same prices for online.

Most of my stuff is bought online. I try to keep stocked up on servos, orange recievers and stuff like that so I don't have to wait for things to come into stock.

Standardize on a connector now and save a bunch of trouble downstream. I get my batts from Hobbyking so they all come with the xt60 plugs. you can make adapters (and I have done for some) but it gets to be a pain. Deans, XT60, EC3- whatever, just standardize now!

Oh yeah, and if you go with xt60 no need to cut the ec3 plugs from your battery they will plug right into the male xt60 (esc side)

DDSFlyer

I didn't know the EC3's plug into the XT60's! What I did was buy the XT60->EC3 plug adapters from hobbyking and now I can use them in my planes and my charger

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
I didn't know the EC3's plug into the XT60's! What I did was buy the XT60->EC3 plug adapters from hobbyking and now I can use them in my planes and my charger

Try it you'll like it. I actually soldered up an adapter myself before I got it figured out ;)