New from MA

Intrepidation

Greetings!

I came across the channel a few months ago after getting back into the hobby. Great videos and seems like a great community!

Seven or eight years ago back in college my friend got a HobbyZone Super Cub and we learned to fly with it. I got my own Super Cub a few months later as a birthday gift. We flew them together and had good fun, along with his ParkZone T-28.

About five years ago I moved to a different part of the state. I didn't know where to fly and my friend and I had a hard time making or work schedules line up so we could hang out. I hadn't flown the plane since moving.

This past year or so he got a different job and I was able to get more leeway in my schedule, so we've been hanging out a lot more, which has been great.

This past December I learned that all this time I could have flown at the local airport, which lets people fly electric planes in the field outside the gates to the tarmac. All this time it turns out I could have flown 8 minutes away from my home!

Luckily, I had managed to keep all of the parts of the plane together, so come Spring I got a couple new batteries and we've been flying ever since. I'll usually fly any chance I get and we'll go fly together every other week.

I a couple months ago I added an E-Flite P-51D Mustang to my hanger. The learning curve has been...steep, and she's had some unfortunate, serious crashes. I have a ways to go to get comfortable flying it, but I have been enjoying the Cub, as its like a familiar old friend.

N4RF

Welcome. The P51 is a great plane but I was floored when you said you can fly right next to an airport. Hope it goes well.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Welcome Intrepidation! There are a bunch of MA based folks on the FT forums who are pretty active. N4RF, you'd be surprised at how amenable some of the local, small, private airfields are to RC flying. A lot of them are EAA affiliated and they are RC friendly. One in Marborough, MA regularly invites our RC club to come to their open house events to fly demos, etc:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=VmlHNTRNdUhBZ0dfUzlXRkM5REx1bWUtYll2cjVB

Intrepidation

Welcome. The P51 is a great plane but I was floored when you said you can fly right next to an airport. Hope it goes well.

Orange Municipal Airport isn't a huge, high traffic airport (although large enough for a B-17 and a B-24). When I heard they allowed R/C aircraft I called them up to check, they confirmed that electric R/C aircraft are allowed, just obviously don't go past the gates o fly when the field is being used for events. It's a good size field that has two areas to play soccer on each side of it.

As I've learned, there are a several people to fly at the field, so I've gotten to meet a half dozen or so and watch them fly.

Also found out the local high school allows you to fly at its football/baseball field. I wouldn't do it in the Mustang, but the Cub I'm comfortable flying in tighter spaces (good size field but several large lights and a line of trees that separate the football and baseball fields). Field there for the first time the other day since the airport's field was being used for soccer practice.

earthsciteach

Welcome to the forum! This is indeed a friendly and helpful community. I think you'll like it here.

I too learned to fly on the venerable HZ Super Cub. Although mine is currently in a couple of pieces due to an unfortunate encounter with Earth (one of many, some encounters were with trees) it will always hold a special place in my heart. I upgraded it to a brushless motor and added flaperons. I never got tired of flying it and still miss it.

Intrepidation

When I got my plane we had come up with the idea to wrap it in heavy duty packaging tape. The cowl, fuselage, and wings were wrapped in it, and despite plenty of mishaps they are still original to the plane, along the its tail.

Up until very recently the plane was even operating with stock electronics...right down to the 27 MHz transmitter and (disabled) ACT. When I got it the planes were still sold with NiMH batteries. When the Super Cub LP came out my friend and I both bought one, switched out the receiver/esc box, batteries, and charger then resold the planes as standard Cubs at almost no loss to us. :)

However, lately I'd been having connection issues. At first I thought it was due to the custom LED lights and interference caused by the tail light wires running next to the antenna. The plane seemed better with the lights off, but a few weeks ago I started having connection problems regardless, and with the plane not very far away from me.

So I ended up doing a bit of an upgrade that would allow me to utilize my FlySky FS-i6 transmitter that I bought for the Mustang, thereby only needing to bring one transmitter along, but also give it a bit of a power bump. Here's the build:

E-Flite 480 Outrunner
E-Flite Prop Adapter
Custom aluminum motor mount designed for the E-Flite 480
Turnigy 30A Brushless ESC
FlySky FS-iA6B Receiver
J-Deal SG90 Micro Servos
10x7 Propeller

a9220158-17-IMG_20160723_221118928_HDR.jpg

a9220193-67-IMG_20160729_225413618.jpg

a9220153-158-IMG_20160423_213212195.jpg

a9220162-41-IMG_20160730_191924964.jpg

a9220163-92-IMG_20160730_221532394.jpg

a9220164-81-IMG_20160730_221930338.jpg

a9220161-185-IMG_20160730_190923049.jpg

a9220166-140-IMG_20160730_222009442.jpg

The original cowl:

a9220167-155-IMG_20160730_222140867.jpg

Now with new tape. It's held up well over the years.

a9220168-15-IMG_20160730_233416985.jpg

The finished project:

a9220169-168-IMG_20160731_194717891.jpg

I love it! It's like dropping an LS9 into a Fiero. I can take off in a couple feet and climb vertically with this motor. It's so much faster now, and can do fast loops, fly upside down and more, yet throttle back and its the same docile Cub it ever way.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Welcome to Flite Test. Good to see someone else coming back to the hobby again. I see you are starting to get into the modding / upgrading part of the hobby with the newer radio and better power train. I see you mentioned issues in the past with range and connections with the radio. Am I wrong in seeing that the 5th photo down shows both your antennas running parallel inside the fuselage?

If so you might consider replacing them in a manor that sets them 90 degrees apart. Like one straight up and the other out either side. That gives the most coverage for the radio signals no matter what direction you face. You will get less drop outs and signal interruptions that way.

Nice work squeezing all the new stuff in that tiny area. I like the fancy bicycle type wheels. Looks like custom rims. Anyway Welcome and have fun flying the new mods. Be sure to get us some video when you fly as well as the others you may fly with. Its always cool to see how different people do things for fun.

Intrepidation

The signal problems I was having was with the old 27 MHz system the plane had. It had a single, very long antenna wire that followed the fuselage and then hung out the tail. The FlySky FS-iA6B receiver's instructions show the antennas running parallel, which differs from the FS-iA6 receiver in the P-51 which does recommend the antennas be at a 90 degree angle.

Since putting in the new electronic suite I haven't had any connection problems, even with the lights on, and I go much higher and father than I ever could with the old setup. :)

I like the heels too! I think the larger wheels look better on the Cub, and they help with landing on grass. I got them from a hobby store years ago. They still sell them, however they are different to what I have. Similar design but not double spoke like what I have.

I've got a few videos, just haven't uploaded them yet. When I do I'll be sure to post them.

Intrepidation

Here is my E-Flite P-51, or rather, here it was just prior to its maiden flight and subsequent crash upon takeoff.

a8967886-170-IMG_20160503_192716493.jpg

Having only flown the Cub before (and a few minutes at the control f my friend's E-Flite T-28 while it was already in the air), I didn't really know about torque roll. When the plane took off and began to bank left, and me being nervous already, I didn't react in time so the plane stalled and hit the ground, ripping the left wheel out of the wing.

Here's its first repair:

a8967891-218-IMG_20160504_125047646_HDR.jpg

I did manage to get it airborne and make a couple flights, however not long after I had my first severe crash:

a9015621-119-IMG_20160521_191441094_HDR.jpg

It was cloudy and the sun was going down. I went to do a roll, which I had done once before no problem, but lost orientation of the plane. I couldn't tell if I was looking at the top or bottom of it, and it smacked into the ground.

This broke the wing into 3 pieces, dd some minor damage to the fuselage, altering the motor's direction.

a9015734-166-IMG_20160521_200619761.jpg

a9015741-187-IMG_20160521_200633470.jpg

Basically the motor now pointed straighter than it was supposed to. I fixed that with a couple washer on the left two screws.

Repairs took a few days, but she was eventually put back together. Plenty of white Gorilla Glue, hot glue, and a couple carbon fiber spars for each wing.

a9058057-18-IMG_20160601_145423214_HDR.jpg

a9058065-151-IMG_20160531_181759842.jpg

a9058065-151-IMG_20160531_181759842.jpg

I learned a lot about reforming compressed foam during the repair. It was tricky to get everything to be true again. I thought I did well, although I later learned the flaps were not true.

I got a couple more flights in, some rough landings but things were going well enough. Last month my friend came over with his T-28 and mini Cub and we went to the airport to fly. It was a bright, sunny early afternoon with no clouds. I had sunglasses on, but unfortunately they just weren't enough. Although I was trying to keep away from the sun, I had to make a turn and made the mistake of turning towards the sun. I completely lost sight of the plane for what must have been at least ten seconds. By the time I saw it again it was heading straight down at speed. It smashed nose first into the ground.

This crash was worse than the last. Although the wing held together, the nose crumpled badly to the left, the gear cover on the right wing broke off, the battery cover broke in two, battery tray was obliterated, the battery itself had crumpled (but somehow didn't rupture), and one of the capacitors on the ESC were crushed. Taking it apart, I discovered the clevis for the tail wheel had broken, the nose had actually split where the two fuselage halves were glued together, the linkage for the flap servos was badly bent, and the wing and fuselage forward of the canopy had several fractures.

a9149079-39-IMG_20160618_181835967_HDR.jpg

a9149080-248-IMG_20160618_181842792_HDR.jpg

a9149081-119-IMG_20160618_181855796_HDR.jpg

a9149082-30-IMG_20160620_155658485_HDR.jpg

a9149083-176-IMG_20160624_030104839.jpg

What to do? Rebuild of course! Z-foam is quite resilient, and I've gotten pretty good at making repairs.

First was to glue the nose halves back together.

a9150517-77-IMG_20160618_201039430.jpg

I ordered a new capacitor from DigiKey, same exact one that came off (this is very important when replacing capacitors)

a9150520-48-IMG_20160622_214537183.jpg

a9150521-25-IMG_20160622_221125045.jpg

Looks like a plane again! Nose still not quite straight though, and needed to do something about that battery tray.

a9150522-190-IMG_20160623_200222254.jpg

E-Flite doesn't make a replacement, so I had to make my own. Using the section of the tray that survived the crash, I cut two gift cards into the shape of what would have been the rest of the tray, then sandwiched the original part between them and hot glued them together.

a9150524-65-IMG_20160624_031204984.jpg

a9150526-69-IMG_20160624_031406556.jpg

Then glued it into the plane.

Next up is MORE FIBER. Carbon fiber that is.

a9151803-31-IMG_20160704_241121121.jpg

a9242717-185-IMG_20160805_104853074.jpg

This both greatly strengthens the forward fuselage and straights the nose back to where it should be.

Its worth noting that despite all of the damage, I only needed to buy replacement prop, spinner, clevis, servo arm (one of the flap servo arms broke), glue, and carbon fiber rods. Somehow all the motor, retracts, and all of the servos have survived.

At this point the structural repairs are done, its cosmetic now.

a9151804-220-IMG_20160704_241126109.jpg

Until this crash I'd been touching the paint up with a brush and foam safe paint from the craft store. However, a lot of the paint (And the nose art decals) came off with this crash, so I opted for something different.

It's 3M Vinyl Wrap. Its automotive grade wrap that's easy to work with and comes in a variety of colors. I traced out the shape of the forward fuselage on paper and cut it out to make a template, then cut out silver wrap and adhered it to the plane.

a9151802-218-IMG_20160704_010721723.jpg

I decided I wanted to go a different route with the Mustang's color scheme, so after I put carbon fiber rods in teh battery cover to flatten it out, I wrapped it and the nose in yellow.

a9151806-132-IMG_20160705_111611314.jpg

a9151807-194-IMG_20160705_111620436.jpg

I think eventually I'm going to name Never Miss and base its color scheme on that Mustang.

She's all done now though, ready for flight. I just haven't flown her yet because I don't want to fix her again yet. :p

Even though the newness has worn off, I'm still nervous about flying it. Takeoff seems to be tricky while I have gotten better there, having two major crashes puts a damper on things, and I'm not sure how she'll fly post repairs. I will fly her again, when the weather conditions are perfect and I feel ready to give it another go...and be prepared for more repairs!

For now I've got the Super Cub to keep me entertained.

Intrepidation

One issue I did encounter after the repairs was that the wing sits loose on the fuselage. I really think its inadequately secured to it. It has two small tabs at the back that go into the fuselage and then two screws at the front that secure it to the plane.

After the first crash I tried velco to keep it more secure in the middle, but it created an unsightly gap and didn't work as well as I would have hoped. I ended up using a bit of hot glue in the center section, hopefully I'll be able to cut the glue open if I need to remove the wings without too much trouble. At the front and the back I skewered the wing and fuselage wing CF rods which I can remove if need be. The only protrude a tiny bit so its not unsightly, and the wing is now nice and secure to the fuselage.

HilldaFlyer

Welcome to FliteTest in MA!
There are quite a few FT followers like one you just met - Makattack.
Looks like your plane is just getting into the golden years of flight. Maybe I'm weird, but I think the planes are more fun to fly after the first major crash... probably because I'm not as nervous about crashing. Anyway, welcome!

You may want to subscribe to the following thread -
[h=1]Mini FliteFest New England April 2016 Edition[/h]if you are interested in participating in a Mini FliteFest New England Fall Edition. PM me if you are interested and I'll put you on the contact list.

Just more info: I'm a member of QMFC that has AMA sanctioned fields in Holden MA (Near I-190), Lancaster MA, and recently acquired a really huge site in Devens.

I'm also will be joining Wachusett RC Flyers and they have a field in Sterling (right off of I-190) and they use Fitchburg municipal airport.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Maybe I'm weird, but I think the planes are more fun to fly after the first major crash... probably because I'm not as nervous about crashing. Anyway, welcome!

I feel the same way!

... recently acquired a really huge site in Devens.

Oh neat! The map link shows a grass field, but do you know if you can fly from the old heli airfield?

Great job on the repairs to the P51 Intrepidation! I just saw it in rockyboys reply, and had missed your post from the previous page.

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
a9151806-132-IMG_20160705_111611314.jpg

I think eventually I'm going to name Never Miss and base its color scheme on that Mustang.

I will fly her again, when the weather conditions are perfect and I feel ready to give it another go...and be prepared for more repairs!

Excellent and inspiring repair work!!

You Sir, are my hero. :applause:

HilldaFlyer

Oh neat! The map link shows a grass field, but do you know if you can fly from the old heli airfield?

If you referring to the airfield just to the North of this field, the answer is nope, not part of the lease agreement for our club. The Devens field, however, is big enough to separate Gas/Nitro from the Electric.

PkEfpkyy4v64KeFZE3m6UL3Bx_afvoBjtndDOHvm4yixQhETsIuao5AvEKuXPEd1umCcgXY0fsypwcresJpF1nYEKFESm6sR6oz1v7cEa_W2qWS6Ls2ZE_CyFO1PrlKAvr_RdEk9

The only downside to this arrangement is the Electric field will always face the sun to the south while the gas-ers have their backs to the sun.

Intrepidation

Welcome to FliteTest in MA!
There are quite a few FT followers like one you just met - Makattack.
Looks like your plane is just getting into the golden years of flight. Maybe I'm weird, but I think the planes are more fun to fly after the first major crash... probably because I'm not as nervous about crashing. Anyway, welcome!

You may want to subscribe to the following thread -
[h=1]Mini FliteFest New England April 2016 Edition[/h]if you are interested in participating in a Mini FliteFest New England Fall Edition. PM me if you are interested and I'll put you on the contact list.

Just more info: I'm a member of QMFC that has AMA sanctioned fields in Holden MA (Near I-190), Lancaster MA, and recently acquired a really huge site in Devens.

I'm also will be joining Wachusett RC Flyers and they have a field in Sterling (right off of I-190) and they use Fitchburg municipal airport.

Very cool! I will have to look into that. I like flying alone sometimes because its quite relaxing, but flying with other is also great fun.

Fitchburg's only 40 minutes or so from me, so its certainly a reasonable drive.

I agree that now that the plane has crashed a few times that I'm less nervous about it, although with my string of luck the last few flights, the next one will likely be attempted with a sense of trepidation, if only because she just got fixed up!

Intrepidation

Excellent and inspiring repair work!!

You Sir, are my hero. :applause:

Why thank you! Crashing is just part of the hobby, but I do want to try to keep the plane looking presentable. Once I'm comfortable flying it and crashes stop being a semi regular occurrence, I'll likely Vinyl wrap the wings as well, perhaps even the whole plane.

Intrepidation

Pretty bummed, I was all set to fly it yesterday evening. Very little wind at my house, sun was being filtered by haze. Drove 7 minutes to the airport to find a stiff and constant breeze that would not dissipate. Didn't feel like repairing it, so I just flew the Cub, which was still great fun since with its new motor it hang in the win or power through it!

Weather doesn't look conducive for flights for the next several days. Until then I did a bit more work on the Mustang's decor. Here's a mock up of the nose art which I'll see about printing on vinyl wrap.

a9251877-231-IMG_20160812_142144572_HDR.jpg