New here, with a Spektrum vs Graupner Question

dcbochmann

Hi! Probably will have questions. No i guaranty I will have questions. Will be building the FT Versa Wing with the blunt nose as my first. Just waiting for the charger and then to pick out a transmitter.

Trying to decide between the Spektrum DX6e 6-Channel DSMX Transmitter with AR610 Receiver or the Graupner MZ-12 - 6 Channel Transmitter + (2) FREE 8ch Receivers.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

Bricks

Master member
Do not know much about the Graupner but would defiantly go with the DX6 over the DX6e for the little extra cost it is a much more capable radio and much easier to update and swap models. If you ever want to upgrade radios the DX6 will be very easy to sell versus the Grsupner.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
We have a thread you might find handy.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?37966-Which-Transmitter-You-Should-Buy

Also, how about a bit about yourself. How did you get into the hobby? You and I have a bit in common. I grew up in Lake County, IL. I have a BN Wing (and like it). And I used to have a DX-6, now a DX-7 and I do like them. By the way, wings are flippy. I highly recommend dialing the rates way down. One nice thing about having all those switches is you can set up dual rates and put them on a switch.

Welcome to the foum.
-Jim

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
So let me ask a couple of questions to help you.

1) How important would it be for you to hear an announcement of say, "30 seconds left"? The Spektrum DX6 (not the DX6e) has voice capabilities and a speaker that will announce this. The Graupner has it, but you would need to put in an earbud or use an additional Bluetooth module to use it.

2) How easy is it for you to get Graupner receivers? I understand you get 2 with your offer, but if you go to a local hobby store, are you able to purchase receivers there, or is it online only? It may not be a big deal for you, but if you want a new receiver and can't get one easily, it might color your opinion of the receiver.

3) For that matter, how are you getting support for the radio you choose? Is there a group at your local flying field or in your area that's familiar with Graupner or Spektrum? I know this is one of the reasons I went Spektrum with my choice - most of the people at my field and my father's field fly with Spektrum because that's what they like. This does not in any way mean that the Graupner radios are inferior; I saw a demo of them at the AMA Expo in January, and liked what I saw. But, nobody I know flies with it, so my support is limited to what I can find online - I'm having to read, re-read, and teach myself how to configure the radio since there aren't people around me who have knowledge of it.

4) Which feels best to you? When I was first getting into the hobby, I had the opportunity to go with either an FrSky Taranis radio, or the Spektrum. The FrSky radio was about $50 cheaper than the Spektrum DX6 that I was looking at, so I asked the salespeople if I could handle the radios. They pulled out both, and the FrSky's gimbal controls felt a lot looser to me than Spektrum's controls. I was told I could upgrade the gimbals, but the cost would be $50, and at that point, it was the same as purchasing the Spektrum, which I felt was better for my needs. This, I'll be honest, is more of a user preference thing, but if you plan to do a lot of flying, find something that feels comfortable to you - no sense getting hand cramps or having unresponsive sticks to control your flights.

Ultimately, buy what suits YOU best - whether that be Graupner or Spektrum. I like both, but my personal preference is Spektrum because I can go into my local hobby shop and buy a plane that already has a Spektrum receiver in it and just bind it; if I want to build a plane, I can buy a Spektrum receiver from that hobby shop and not have to wait for delivery. But, that's what I find works best for ME.

Ray K

Ray K
Trying to decide between the Spektrum DX6e 6-Channel DSMX Transmitter with AR610 Receiver or the Graupner MZ-12 - 6 Channel Transmitter + (2) FREE 8ch Receivers.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance for any help.

This is perhaps the most subjective item in the R/C hobby. If you want to go with the most popular radio systems, then the DSMX is the way to go. I've always been a bit of a maverick, chose the Graupner mz-12, and I have no regrets about my choice. The mz-12 is a LOT of radio for the money and has so many features I'm still learning new things several months down the road. I should point out this is the only radio I've ever owned, so have no experience with anything else. And I'm good with that, based on all the r/c videos I've watched. The Graupner system has a lot of telemetry built into the rx and esc that you have to buy extra equipment for in other systems. So do your homework, watch as many videos as you can stand, then pull the trigger. Best of luck.

BTW, in post #3 Jim included a link that might help in your choice. Lot of good info there. DSMX in the first pages, Graupner on page 7.

Last edited:

dcbochmann

JimCR120 - I had put some info in my profile about myself. I work for a non-profit organization. Always wanted to fly. I had built a Great Planes PT-20 almost 30 years ago. Had everything for it, plane, field box, nitro, starter, etc... Got married and never got to fly it. Sold everything to a guy in my old home town. Now, I have some time, and tired of sitting around doing nothing but play around on the computer, and want to get into a hobby. I seen a guy flying when I was out at Lowes one day this past summer, never seen him again either. I asked him about the plane and he told me to check out Flite Test, so I did. I got the bug. BTW, his paint scheme was awesome. Binge watching FT YouTube videos, watching YouTube videos on chargers, batteries, how-to's, looking at planes, gear, etc... Must say FT has a good thing going here. Never thought you could build a plane out of foam core and make it fly.

After seeing the post about the thoughts on the 2 transmitters, I was leaning towards the Spektrum to begin with, I probably will go with the Spektrum DX6.

Don't know of any flying fields around me, new of one up in Palos, IL, don't know if it is still there, and you had to be in the club to fly along with having insurance, and they weren't too nice either. There was supposed to be one in Flossmoor which would be closer. That was 30 years ago, so I don't know of any fields around me.

Don't really have any close by Hobby Stores, closest one is about an hour away I think. We had a couple near me but the closed down do to the online stores.

So in a nutshell, I'm new to the hobby. I don't know anyone that fly's RC, so this is a Trial By Fire or Trial By Flying/Crashing :).

I made a post here, http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?39800-Question-about-Spectrum-Radios, cause it seemed to be the right place for the question.

Thank you for the help and all the info you have supplied me with in the two threads.

Last edited: