New Here - WW1 Combat

mhlau999

@eness76, wow, amazing job on the planes. "top notch, top notch" The caddyshack reference seemed to fit here, lol So did you paint all the crosses and markings? Truly nice work!

eness76

@eness76, wow, amazing job on the planes. "top notch, top notch" The caddyshack reference seemed to fit here, lol So did you paint all the crosses and markings? Truly nice work!
Thanks, the Maltese crosses are painted, but the British roundels are just inkjet prints 3m 77 spray glued to the airframe.

danskis

Master member
@eness76 Great looking planes and great post! Why do you suppose the triplane flys so much better than the biplane? What would you do on the next build to try to make the biplane fly better?

eness76

@eness76 Great looking planes and great post! Why do you suppose the triplane flys so much better than the biplane? What would you do on the next build to try to make the biplane fly better?
I’ve moved the CG farther forward on the biplane than the recommended position and Really reduced the rudder throw below recommended and it has smoothed it out considerably, but it is still not as smooth flying as the triplane. Everybody’s will be different, but I’ve added 1/4oz to the nose and have the 850 pack slid out almost to the prop. Being rudder control, it’s very unstable as it transitions from level to banked wings. Once banked over its great, but that transition back and forth is a little jerky and unstable (Think tippy), while that movement is very dampened on the triplane, probably because of the additional lift. I don’t miss ailerons on the triplane at all, it flys wonderfully smooth. I wonder if increasing the side area of the fin slightly would help, but I haven’t bothered testing. I have the Se5 to a point that it flys fine and is fun, but adding ailerons to the bottom wing would probably make it more fun. If starting over I’d probably add an aileron servo, and reduce the dihedral. Lowering the top wing a touch would also reduce that tippy tendency a bit too, I believe.

eness76

Here is some raw video of the first or second flight. At the end you’ll note this instability in roll moment on the Se5 while the triplane is just floating along. This was before I moved the cg forward, so this has improved.

eness76

For the crosses and roundels, sure. See attached. Just print 1:1.

Attachments

• Roundel.pdf
    255.9 KB · Views: 0
  • maltese-4.pdf
    3.7 KB · Views: 0
  • maltese-175.pdf
    2.8 KB · Views: 0

Collin_Cook

Hi guys, new here but I've been flying RC and building/designing for about 38 years. Somehow I just recently stumbled upon FliteTest. My 14yr old son recently became re-interested in RC (this dad's dream come true) and has progressed really quickly to the point of soloing our balsa airplanes. We decided to build a couple FT WW1 fighters to fly some combat, we just finished his triplane and it's ready for dawn patrol! Looking forward to diving into this foamboard medium more fully. I scratch built a mini-sportster last week and we've had a bunch of fun with it. Take care, all.
View attachment 174951 View attachment 174952 View attachment 174953
Looking good! sounds like fun. My first plane was a Mini Bipe. I'm 30 yrs old now and getting my 60 year old dad into planes and drones, RC flying is a great family activity!

eness76

Some really windy day action!
5D47CA4E-62CB-4625-B937-993EEFA033AA.jpeg
C295A305-5068-4390-8770-4E48850A43C8.jpeg

eness76

I was going to say, throw Woostock in the red triplane. lol

@eness76 Welcome to FT Family, it's good to have you here. Great job on your first foam board builds. They look incredible!!
Thanks Sponz! We’re having a blast with these! I’m already brainstorming the next project!

eness76

Still having a blast with these. This morning during our dawn patrol by son discovered his triplane would do a hilariously tight negative spin/tip spin. I captured it on camera, but this wasn’t the best one. He was doing it from way up high and it would really morph into a knife edge spin. We were howling with laughter.

mhlau999

Still having a blast with these. This morning during our dawn patrol by son discovered his triplane would do a hilariously tight negative spin/tip spin. I captured it on camera, but this wasn’t the best one. He was doing it from way up high and it would really morph into a knife edge spin. We were howling with laughter.

That is awesome, I can't do that yet, I would pile drive that into the ground ! that is fantastic though.