New Here - WW1 Combat

eness76

Hi guys, new here but I've been flying RC and building/designing for about 38 years. Somehow I just recently stumbled upon FliteTest. My 14yr old son recently became re-interested in RC (this dad's dream come true) and has progressed really quickly to the point of soloing our balsa airplanes. We decided to build a couple FT WW1 fighters to fly some combat, we just finished his triplane and it's ready for dawn patrol! Looking forward to diving into this foamboard medium more fully. I scratch built a mini-sportster last week and we've had a bunch of fun with it. Take care, all.
IMG_8346.JPG
IMG_8348.JPG
IMG_8349.JPG

P40VRP

Hi guys, new here but I've been flying RC and building/designing for about 38 years. Somehow I just recently stumbled upon FliteTest. My 14yr old son recently became re-interested in RC (this dad's dream come true) and has progressed really quickly to the point of soloing our balsa airplanes. We decided to build a couple FT WW1 fighters to fly some combat, we just finished his triplane and it's ready for dawn patrol! Looking forward to diving into this foamboard medium more fully. I scratch built a mini-sportster last week and we've had a bunch of fun with it. Take care, all.
View attachment 174951 View attachment 174952 View attachment 174953

Welcome to the forum! I'm really new myself, but what I have seen so far is an awesome bunch of RC enthusiasts who are more than willing to help out with any and all RC questions!

That's a great looking airplane. I was expecting the "Red Baron" himself to be jumping down from the cockpit. Or at least "Snoopy"!

eness76

Thanks! Just a generic Se5a scheme, mostly brown top, gray wing bottoms with the roundels and the red white and blue rudder stripes. We're having so much fun with my son's triplane, it's a blast to fly. We're up to 14 flights on it, now. It has such a wide speed envelope it's easy to fly at the local park, instead of waiting for the weekend to get to our club flying field (40mins away).

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Thanks! Just a generic Se5a scheme, mostly brown top, gray wing bottoms with the roundels and the red white and blue rudder stripes. We're having so much fun with my son's triplane, it's a blast to fly. We're up to 14 flights on it, now. It has such a wide speed envelope it's easy to fly at the local park, instead of waiting for the weekend to get to our club flying field (40mins away).
I was trying to come up with a plane that I'll be able to take with me on big trips and I think this one will do great! It's a fight between the Simple stick and this.

eness76

it's a fun easy flyer, and the build is very well thought out. I'm very impressed. As I said above, I'm new to foam board, but really enjoying it. Before building these I scratch built a mini sportster just to get a taste of the foam board build process and get used to working with these materials. That plane flies really well, also. I didn't know any better, and build that one from Elmers foam I had on hand, so it's a bit heavier, but as such flies faster and more like a balsa plane due to the additional wing loading. Would be a fun plane for a club pylon race. It would also travel well, since you mentioned trips.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Just a tip to make even nicer looking builds take one of those foam emery boards and file back the paper to be even with the foam. Then take white gorilla wood glue and coat the edges over lapping the paper a mm or two so it soaks in and forms a seal. Then you can prime and paint to perfection and not have that sharp and hollowed out edge the laser cutting produces.

With practice seeing how well your paint jobs are done you could even round off the squared edges moving the paper back a bit and still be able to seal and smooth it out to perfection with primer and paint and not worry over paper peeling with age or moisture.

PoorManRC

Master member
Just a tip to make even nicer looking builds take one of those foam emery boards and file back the paper to be even with the foam. Then take white gorilla wood glue and coat the edges over lapping the paper a mm or two so it soaks in and forms a seal. Then you can prime and paint to perfection and not have that sharp and hollowed out edge the laser cutting produces.

With practice seeing how well your paint jobs are done you could even round off the squared edges moving the paper back a bit and still be able to seal and smooth it out to perfection with primer and paint and not worry over paper peeling with age or moisture.
I've used this Method on almost every one of my Planes, and always prefer the way it looks.
Besides being prettier, it also helps with things like road rash, impact damage and the eventual Delamination that always happens to our Aircraft at some point.

Bro.... WELCOME!! You're definitely in the right place. 👍👍🍻🍺
If I read correctly, those are your SECOND and THIRD Planes!?? 😲😊👌

You're off to a much better start than I had! 😖 I had a different learning curve, from being into all RC - EXCEPT Aircraft!
Excellent looking Birds.